Trip Report: Classic Backpacking 1/1/16 - 1/3/16

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
From what research I've done, I haven't read of anyone wearing a blanket coat during that time period, at least not people traveling on foot. In fact, they all advise against wearing such coats. It would be too big to carry in a pack, and it would certainly be too warm to wear when I'm on the

I'd be interested to know where you read that? As far as I know, blanket coats like capotes were still immensely popular in colder climates at this time, especially throughout Canada. Other alternatives were available towards the end of your chosen period, but wool was still the best thing available. They may have been a little more tailored than in earlier periods, but wool coats were basically the same thing as the capote and its variants. I know i read somewhere that they were especially popular with the Montreal snowshoe club and other prominent outdoor sports types. They are still sold and worn in so many places today. When you think about it, they weigh less than a blanket and provide warmth where it matters. Once you get to the colder temperatures basically everyone recommends two blankets. In my experience your blanket coat can act as that second blanket with a little saving in weight.

rg598

Native
I'd be interested to know where you read that? As far as I know, blanket coats like capotes were still immensely popular in colder climates at this time, especially throughout Canada. Other alternatives were available towards the end of your chosen period, but wool was still the best thing available. They may have been a little more tailored than in earlier periods, but wool coats were basically the same thing as the capote and its variants. I know i read somewhere that they were especially popular with the Montreal snowshoe club and other prominent outdoor sports types. They are still sold and worn in so many places today. When you think about it, they weigh less than a blanket and provide warmth where it matters. Once you get to the colder temperatures basically everyone recommends two blankets. In my experience your blanket coat can act as that second blanket with a little saving in weight.
Kephart, Miller, and just about all the authors I listed in my initial Classic Backpacking post, along with cold weather expeditions: Shackleton, Amundsen, Mallory, etc.

While still using wool, they recommend thin wool layers like shirts and sweaters. They allow for better regulation of heat and offer better insulation for the weight.

For a person traveling on foot a wool coat is problematic. It is too bulky to carry in a pack, which means you end up having to wear it, which results in overheating when moving about.

I'm not familiar with many Canadian authors, so I don't know what they recommend during that time peiod, but in the US and from what I can se, Europe, they were largely out of use by the 1850s when it came to high mobility trips.

Anyway, like I said, I have no way of carrying such a coat in my backpack, and there is no way I can wear one the whole trip, so it wasn't an option for me.
Thanks - we really are spoiled with our fancy sleeping bags, aren't we ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Just seen The Revenant Ross.
Plenty of examples of fine looking wool coat and capote type outer wear ( maybe with a fur poncho thrown over the top )
Wonder how historically accurate they got those outfits ??

Best.

C.

rg598

Native
Just seen The Revenant Ross.
Plenty of examples of fine looking wool coat and capote type outer wear ( maybe with a fur poncho thrown over the top )
Wonder how historically accurate they got those outfits ??

Best.

C.
They were very popular in the 18th century and into the early 19th century out west. I haven't done much research on the clothing of that period, but it seemed accurate.

As far as I know, by the late 19th and early 20th century, the time period I am trying to replicate, they weren't recommended by people traveling on foot. The preference was for things shirts and sweaters, covered by a shell layer if needed.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
They were very popular in the 18th century and into the early 19th century out west. I haven't done much research on the clothing of that period, but it seemed accurate.

As far as I know, by the late 19th and early 20th century, the time period I am trying to replicate, they weren't recommended by people traveling on foot. The preference was for things shirts and sweaters, covered by a shell layer if needed.

A outer layer of what I wonder? Linseed and beez wax impregnated canvas?
Tightly woven cotton.

Best.

Chris.

rg598

Native
A outer layer of what I wonder? Linseed and beez wax impregnated canvas?
Tightly woven cotton.

Best.

Chris.
For winter, tightly woven cotton. They did have rubberized cotton that some authors recommended for the rain.

"In wind, snow, and rain, we generally wore outside our other clothes a light suit of some thin, brown, canvas like stuff. This was reputed completely waterproof, but it turned out to be nothing of the kind. In wind and snow however, it did excellent service." Nansen, Across Greenland

Last edited:

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
What a great write up and and even better read. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and share your adventures and thoughts, I really appreciate it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE