Wax cotton canvas coats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Not a waxed cotton jacket but the mention of a blanket lining reminds me of something.

When I was in the army ages ago and stationed in Germany, a few people had ponchos lined with blanket material. It was a good idea and perfect for driving around in an open Jeep but they were now be considered too heavy for backpacking, probably. I don't know where the ponchos and blankets came from but they were both army issue.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not a waxed cotton jacket but the mention of a blanket lining reminds me of something.

When I was in the army ages ago and stationed in Germany, a few people had ponchos lined with blanket material. It was a good idea and perfect for driving around in an open Jeep but they were now be considered too heavy for backpacking, probably. I don't know where the ponchos and blankets came from but they were both army issue.

Was it a wool blanket? Not a quilted poncho liner?

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
No, it was a wool blanket. The poncho liners hadn't come along yet. And the poncho liners, nice as they are, don't have a hole for the head either. I don't know if either poncho liners or ponchos are still on issue since the Gore-Tex jackets came out.

I got out of the army in 1968.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
No, it was a wool blanket. The poncho liners hadn't come along yet. And the poncho liners, nice as they are, don't have a hole for the head either. I don't know if either poncho liners or ponchos are still on issue since the Gore-Tex jackets came out.

There was a blanket lined mackinaw coat thingy, called jeep coat sometimes. With a shawl collar. I wouldn't mind one of those.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just finished :)
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
now all I have to do is get 'em used!
The groundsheet cost about £45, the jacket about £35 ... not counting my time!

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex

You are correct there, I have one somewhere. It is a lightweight wool blanket with press studs that line up with those on an issue poncho.
Roger

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Looks good, John.

Is there a double thickness of blanket on the lined groundsheet, or is pic 7 waxed cotton under & blanket over?

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The poncho liner that I have is made of nylon woodland camo material quilted with some kind of thin batting, undoubtedly synthetic and definitely not wool. It has strings for tying onto whatever and no press studs. I don't actually have an issue poncho of any variety and it keeps getting pushed down on my wish list whenever I see something more interesting. There's lots of things more interesting than a poncho.

And speaking of ponchos, I've seen some Eastern European, probably Russian, ponchos that looked interesting and more useful than an American-style poncho, if only because they were bigger. But again, I never got around to buying one.

Some armies used to issue cloaks and capes for some of their troops. I wonder it they would be useful in the field?

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
As to cloaks and capes, I was referring to those issued for field use, not bought by officers for evening wear. I have seen at least one (even touched it!) but I don't know or remember which army. It was olive drab wool, just about the weight of a good army blanket (same color, too). I think they were issued to certain Greek troops prior to and during WWII and perhaps others. I suppose I'd have to admit that it is an archaic item of clothing. But a mountain man's capote, on the other hand, might be useful, once you got used to how long it was and provided you lived in a cool climate. Supposedly wool will shed some water at least as well as cotton but most isn't at all windproof. But who wears an overcoat anywhere these days, much less soldiers in the field or hunters, also in the field?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I still wear an overcoat when it gets cold enough (rare here) Ironically, one of the two I own is my AF issue one from before I retired; without the chevrons (which were pinned on and thus removable) It's just another dark blue trench coat. But you're quite right, I don't wear it in the field.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
By hell there's some talented people on here. awsome work mr fenna.....how long do you reckon it took to make that coat?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
By hell there's some talented people on here. awsome work mr fenna.....how long do you reckon it took to make that coat?

It took the best part of 2.5 days to cut out and sew ... but then I am slow at this sort of thing, as in "Measure twice Cut once... actually I think I will check that again..."
I had already designed cut and proved the pattern on a jacket I made a couple of years back, so that was just sitting ready to be used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE