Wax cotton canvas coats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For all the traditional gear a lot of people love on here (myself included) like canvas and leather packs etc, I was wondering lately why we don't see many people wearing waxed canvas coats like Barbours and Drizabone.. it's quite oldey worldy, fits in with the trad idea, is robust, waterproof and easy to maintain.. so why don't we wear it more ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am planning to make not only a Waxed cotton SAS style smock but also chaps, ground sheet and wool lined groundsheet this winter. A great fabric :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
drizabone's actually aren't all that waterproof. They are an 'oiled' light canvas and I've worked with people who wore them - and were upset when they got soaked in a heavy downpour.

I had a modern knock-off of a drizabone with a heavily waxed fabric. It was a sweaty as a plastic mack but at least it was waterproof!

My sailing smock isn't waxed at all but it takes an amazing amount of rain to start soaking through.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like waxed cotton, but then I rarely now need to wear one when working hard.
For dawdling, for Autumn, early Spring and Winter wanders, they are brilliant. Sitting around a fire, for a walk on a windy day, or in and out of the car on a dreich one, they're bombproof.
For slaving away and rushing around or carrying heavy packs even my wool lined instead of chilly when wet cotton gets damp inside. Dries out fairly quickly however, especially if you do the whole ventilation at the hem and neck thing :)

John, if you're making your own, use some of that brilliant Welsh flannel to line it and give the cotton stuff a bodyswerve. It really is worth the effort :D

I have a stash of the heavyweight brass zips.....give me a measurement and a preferred colour and I'll have a looksee :)

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For all the traditional gear a lot of people love on here (myself included) like canvas and leather packs etc, I was wondering lately why we don't see many people wearing waxed canvas coats like Barbours and Drizabone.. it's quite oldey worldy, fits in with the trad idea, is robust, waterproof and easy to maintain.. so why don't we wear it more ?

I haven't had mine out and about for a while but it used to get a lot of use....

barbour_durham.jpg

It is a Barbour Durham, one of the lightweight jackets with no lining so it doesn't weigh me down too much.

Here is a better picture...

barbour_durham1.jpg

I am planning to make not only a Waxed cotton SAS style smock but also chaps, ground sheet and wool lined groundsheet this winter. A great fabric

That sounds fantastic, a tutorial please! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bison used to do a Ventile SAS smock (I had the last one they made) which was good ... in fact I own 2 (one now a bit the worse for wear and age but still good for use around the farm) - but my version of a 60's SAS smock type pattern is even better :)
DSCF5146.jpg

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Never really looked on the Bison website, damn they make some nice stuff ay!
That photo Mr Fenna, that your SAS ventile or the Bison one?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have an old Barbour Border Jacket it must be 20 years or so old, great coat, needs a new zip in the fronts... it will be going back to barour in the next week or so, for a replacement to be put in... I have an old Barbour Bushat as well, thats a bit older, and its well worn... needs a few patches.. I Love the wax cotton..

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Ah the good old days - When I could still see my feet :rolleyes:

A late 80's Barbour "Military" :

001_zpsd126bce9.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE