"Cotton Kills"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I disagree on the itchiness point. It depends on the wool, of which there is considerably variety in quality and grades, not to mention different sheep breeds.

Unless of course you are one of the unfortunate people whose skin reacts badly to wool regardless, in which case, fair enough.

I've never had any problem with wool socks. But that's about the only exception for wool (any wool) with skin contact. Same results for pretty much everybody I know personally. The only contradictions to that have been those I've read here on the forum. I'm beginning to think Brits are just immune.

All that said, if I wear a cotton undershirt (or long johns) between me and the wool I have no problem at all.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good wool, well spun and woven wool, isn't itchy. It's smooth like velvet.

It depends on the wool though. High crimp wool doesn't come cheap, but kempy stuff is much more 'economical'.
Gaberdene doesn't itch at all, and high quality merino thermals are a blessing :D

The UK has some superb wools though, so do the Antipodeans :D as do the Spanish and Portugese. Do the Americans not rear merino sheep too ? I know that some of the South American wools that we can buy are really beautiful, soft, lustrous and warm, and non itchy :D

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good wool, well spun and woven wool, isn't itchy. It's smooth like velvet.

It depends on the wool though. High crimp wool doesn't come cheap, but kempy stuff is much more 'economical'.
Gaberdene doesn't itch at all, and high quality merino thermals are a blessing :D

The UK has some superb wools though, so do the Antipodeans :D as do the Spanish and Portugese. Do the Americans not rear merino sheep too ? I know that some of the South American wools that we can buy are really beautiful, soft, lustrous and warm, and non itchy :D

M

I have no idea what sheep we raise TBH. It's irrelevant though as most of it's exported and I reacted the same way to all the wools I bought in the UK. Wellll. That's not completely true I suppose; felted wool used in hats doesn't seem to bother me.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a shame. How about silk or linen ? Both are very good next to the skin. Linen is traditional under wool and it not only breathes but it stops the wool touching the skin and doesn't itch.

Many write off linen because it crushes and creases, but if it's worn and washed a lot it softens and it deosn't crease the same way as new stuff does. It can become the most comfortable garment you'll ever wear :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The length of the staple and the spinning: woolen or worsted, change the texture.
I have not done any fleece work in maybe 40 years.

Where are you, what are you doing and what's the weather like?
Those things determine what I'll be wearing.
Dad's motto was: "Dress accordingly. We go."

Moleskin britches - nah!
Derby Tweed was much better :)

I wouldn't know. I went with the advice of the time, and those breeches worked despite being super thick moleskin in all weather. It's only now that I wonder why moleskin was recommended since that was a time when wool still ruled.

Last week when a record storm and power outage occured simultaneously, I dug out some wool clothing to wear inside. If indoors is decidedly cold then it feels great to wear wool, but I doubt many homes are as chilly as they used to be in winter in Britain, or anywhere else for that matter. I can remember waking up to find a glass of water frozen on a dresser - more than once... The discomfort with wool is in my experience due to putting it on in warm conditions, although new blends have improved things. Back in the day I used to wear the thick Stansfield grey underwear (the stuff which looks like it comes with a free tent tucked in the package) in a glass plant where I worked in very hot conditions. You got used to the wool but only with great difficulty in the heat. I wear the same stuff now in cold conditions where it feels great.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wouldn't know. I went with the advice of the time, and those breeches worked despite being super thick moleskin in all weather. It's only now that I wonder why moleskin was recommended since that was a time when wool still ruled.

Last week when a record storm and power outage occured simultaneously, I dug out some wool clothing to wear inside. If indoors is decidedly cold then it feels great to wear wool, but I doubt many homes are as chilly as they used to be in winter in Britain, or anywhere else for that matter. I can remember waking up to find a glass of water frozen on a dresser - more than once... The discomfort with wool is in my experience due to putting it on in warm conditions, although new blends have improved things. Back in the day I used to wear the thick Stansfield grey underwear (the stuff which looks like it comes with a free tent tucked in the package) in a glass plant where I worked in very hot conditions. You got used to the wool but only with great difficulty in the heat. I wear the same stuff now in cold conditions where it feels great.

Some houses are still a bit chill ... as I type I am wearing a merino Tshirt, a merino blanket shirt and a merino lined waxed cotton gilet/vest...

Some houses are still a bit chill ... as I type I am wearing a merino Tshirt, a merino blanket shirt and a merino lined waxed cotton gilet/vest...

And I thought I was the one who lived in the frozen north! I am still wearing one of the expensive wool shirts I got a few years back, and actually dug out last week. Despite the cashmere component it's still noticeably a wool shirt in warm temps, though not bad at all.. I always look carefully at shows about the pre-60's to see whether people are dressed as I remember - thick tweed suits etc. indoors in Britain. I think it's a documentary called "The Cree Hunters of Mistissini" where all the men are wearing wool suits donated by Christian groups and doing well in deep snow... Versatile and hard wearing stuff!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Native North Americans had enough sense to put the fur inside to stay warm.
Let us suppose that they had the last 10,000 - 15,000 years to figure it out. Yes?

Fur outside was an European way to kill them off.

Mistissini: There are many, many white-mans spellings for the Buffalo Child.
Google: Mistaseni.

My brother is the expedition leader/researcher and the lead diver in the rediscovery of the location of Mistaseni in Diefenbaker Lake.
I have a piece of Mistaseni on my desk as I type this.

Native North Americans had enough sense to put the fur inside to stay warm.
Let us suppose that they had the last 10,000 - 15,000 years to figure it out. Yes?

Fur outside was an European way to kill them off.

Mistissini: There are many, many white-mans spellings for the Buffalo Child.
Google: Mistaseni.

My brother is the expedition leader/researcher and the lead diver in the rediscovery of the location of Mistaseni in Diefenbaker Lake.
I have a piece of Mistaseni on my desk as I type this.

My apologies to you and this forum.

I just wanted to point out the movie in the way most commonly spelled in the archives.

This "fur on the outside" is not a debate but about how the whites killed the natives via blankets and donated clothes. Yep I can see how I inflamed someone. It would inflame you too if you had been to see the death pits. I was a happy teacher in happy schools for decades, but you better believe that I know all about the residential schools. There's more deep buried evil than most people could comprehend!

It took me years until I could overcome my "foreign" evil and give my worn $50 bill to my grand-daughter with the instuctions to spend it. She got an incredible silk shawl at the consignment store with it which exactly matched her grad dress. And I was happy! She was a bit worried about the other new $100 bills I had given her and how she just had to have the right shoes and stuff - I wasn't. My grand-daughter then just happened to go to her prom with my favorite student - he was that because he was so darned nice! Lots of pics of the "Britisher's" grand-daughter with a native guy. I guess everyone thought she must have come from a castle in some ====ssex place or something - and not be part Cree.

I am truly sorry for starting fuss here.
Jimbo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE