The Girl shows how to blow your fire to a blaze from the comfort of your sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I will second the advice about being careful of umbellifers. Several are seriously toxic as well. I purchased a length of metal tubing from a diy store and sawed it into two lengths. A short piece about the length of a wooden spoon for fitting into my mess kit, and a longer one for group camps where folk are sat around a larger fire (the extra length allows you to avoid having to get too close). A blow poker can be put right into a fire to direct the air exactly where you want it, and there is always a gap in the pack big enough to put one.

One tip is to take a short length of rubber tubing, perhaps 2 inches long, and fit it onto the end of your blow poker. This gives a better mouth feel, and allows for more controlled blowing, but also gives you a 'fire end' and a 'mouth end', thereby avoiding the problem of picking up a metal blow poker and putting the hot end in your mouth (been there, done that, tongue and lips now healed :eek:).

...And handy when hiding in the lake from Injuns too!:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tend to take a younger none smoking person with me, usually my nephew. Will mention it to him mind to ease the poor lads fire chores.

gisburn20

Jan 27, 2006
Wellingborough
I made a blow poker for the kids to use on the last (car) camping trip (so they didn't need to get quite so close to the fire) I put a 6 inch length of aluminium tube into the end of an 18 inch length of silicon rubber hose, they could hold the hose and poke the ally tube into the embers at arms length whilst blowing gently into the other end.

Worked a treat and nobody lost any eyebrows, very popular, all the kids had a go ( ages 6-14 )

All had a go at lighting the fire (well the cotton wool) with a ferro rod too.

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE