Hot tent overnight in the Pentlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I recently got my Seek Outside Cimarron and titanium collapsable wood stove in the post from the USA and got a chance to take it out into the pentlands for a second time this weekend. I didn't get any pictures of the first trip because I was busy working everything out, put managed to document the trip nicely this time.

I also took a portable painting box and paints so I could do some plain air painting while out too.

After a quick bus out the city and about an hour of hiking, with my intended camp spot about another hour away, I saw a view I wanted to paint and set down about 11:00 to spend a few hours painting.

IMG_0069.jpg

I'm not all too pleased how this one turned out, It was getting cold after two hours of sitting around on the hill so I rushed the final stages, and sitting cross legged with the paint box on the floor too wasn't the best position to be painting in.

IMG_0070.jpg

I hiked on to my camping spot by Bonaly Reservoir, which is surrounded by dense conifer wood. It's pretty much the only place with enough deadwood this side of the pentlands to get a reasonable fire going. There are a few places elsewhere on the pentads with light tree coverage but since the pentlands is always busy with runners in the mornings and dog walkers in the evenings, the dense pine plantation offers a bit of privacy which is welcome.

I arrived to the Reservoir around 2:30, found a little clearing, set up the Cimarron and stove, and collected some wood. I bought a collapsable saw and a no name swedish knife with me for wood processing. I found a dead standing tree and cut a few branches off for logs. Before because of the damp I have had to baton with the knife to get to the dry wood but the plantation here is so dense everywhere under it was bone dry, and the dead twigs from the lower branches of the trees made great kindling. I didn't get many photos of setting up because I was racing to get everything done before the dark.

IMG_0071.jpg

Finding water was an issue - although this weekend was pretty mild - only dropping to 0C, it had been -4 a few times previously in the week and the reservoir was frozen at least an inch thick!

While on the shore looking for water, a guy emerged from the woods the other side of the reservoir and introduced himself - it seemed he had heard me wood processing earlier and wanted to introduce himself as another wild camper so as to explain any unusual noises in the night! I never caught his name and all I saw of him for the rest of my stay was occasional woodsmoke drifting from out of the trees the other side of the water.

IMG_0072.jpg

I found a section of the burn feeding the reservoir that wasn't frozen over and collected what I needed for dinner.

IMG_0073.jpg

I processed a little more wood in the light I had left and before I knew it it had gotten dark! It was then I realised I had forgotten my head torch and only had a lantern! Regardless, I got the stove lit for dinner. I used a ferro rod and birchbark from my tinter box to light the fire - I didn't come across any tinter on my hike in so had to resort to my reserves. I use flint and steel when I can but it was cold and damp and I was hungry this time so I used the rod. The dead pine twigs caught straight from the birchbark really well - no feather sticks needed!

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

The stove heats the tent really quickly and is really great for drying out everything. I was trying a new set up this time - with a nest on one side and the wood stove and cooking area on the other side. I was a little cramped cooking on the same side as the stove, so in the future I might not hook up the mozzie net until bedtime and sit on the bedding area while cooking.

The tent doesn't really get very smokey unless you forget to open the chimney damper before you open the door to put on wood. If that happens you an just prop the top of the door open with a stick and the smoke escapes pretty quickly.

IMG_0075.jpg

Dinner was couscous and a baked sweet potato (because I'm a heathen vegetarian). I would lie to have baked the potato in leaves not tin foil but there really isn't much of a range of plant life in the pentlands so I couldn't find any big leaves to make parcels - its not really the most bountiful place to practice bushcraft!

IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

Then it was time for bed. I piled up the wood outside the nest door and would wake up a tad chilly a couple of times after the stove had burnt down, and would just pop a new log or two on the fire. It would heat up the tent pretty fast and i'd fall asleep quickly.

That way, too, I could get the fire going again in the morning from the leftover embers. I just used twigs and small sticks for a hot fire that would cook a brew and some porridge then burn down fast for packing away. It was a cold morning and having something to warm you up before you got going was amazing. While the fire burnt down I packed away everything else inside the tent. The morning fire also evaporates off a lot of the condensation so most of your gear packs away fairly dry.

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

The stove packs away really small - and is only around 1kg, so fine for backpacking. In fact the whole hot tent setup (excluding centre pole which doubles as hiking stick) weights abut 2.4kg, the same as my old conventional 2 person tent!. Each wall of the stove comes apart and packs flat, then the stove pipe, which is rolled width ways hone in use, is packed away by rolling it up lengthwise. Titanium is a really amazing metal. Really light and flexible but also amazingly stong and springy still!

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

My pack weight, with food, and painting box was about 14.5kg - amazing when you consider I am carrying painting equipment, a buck saw and hot tent! Its an old no name aluminium external frame pack which I got for £20 on eBay which I added my own strap system to. Since its a frame pack it can carry a lot of weight quite comfortably, and although its only 45l the bulky stuff can be strapped outside. Thats the nest and roll mat on the top, painting box in the middle and my army surplus arctic sleeping bag on the bottom, in a dry bag. The straps on the outside too mean quick access things like raincoats can be strapped on too.

IMG_0083.jpg

The tent centre pole (actually a camera monopod) doubles as a walking stick - which I needed on the steep woodland descents back to the bus stop home!

IMG_0084.jpg

There are a few things I learnt from the trip - mainly, that I need a small lightweight tripod to raise up my painting box for a more natural painting position, and that I need some kind of foam knee pads for camp since got very wet knees around camp. I'd like to refine my cook set too - possibly switching to a steel water bottle and nesting cup set, as the two billy cans feel like a busy and clumsy system...
I'm also looking into footwear. I am interested in the minimalist and barefoot hiking and running movement, its how our feet were traditionally designed to work and when you look at traditional footwear it is all lightweight and flexible - or simply non existent! While barefoot is my preferred state in the summer its not possible in the negative, wet temperatures you get in scotland in wintertime. I am still working out what is best for this. I am currently using a gore-tex sock with a lightweight flexible water shoe but it still gets a little chilly - I am considering making some traditional mukluks with felt liner, and making a (waterproof and beatable) tyvek liner to go between the outer mukluk and the felt liner? Not sure, but if I get round to making it I'll post that!

I plan to do a longer 3 night trip up in the Caringorms in Abernethy forest and Glenmore forest in a few weeks:
IMG_0085.jpg

Just look at all the woodland on that OS map! While the pentlands are nearby and convenient, they really aren't the best place for a woodland lover like me, I've been researching wild woodland in Scotland for bushcraft and here seems my best bet, and its only a 2 hour train away!

Anyway, this is my first post so sorry if its a bit long! Any tips for refining a trip report are welcome, just be gentle!! :p

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
braw write up, I've got to say I love that tent! have always fancied a hot tent as Scotland it awfy muggy.
For barefoot footwear, I normally wear turnshoes ,but I walked the west highland way in a pair of vivobarefoot dharmas last year, and just got a pair of the new vivobarefoot tracker firm ground boots to try out. I spent weeks searching for reviews and found none, so decided to take the plunge and I'll do my own review once i've properly trialled them.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Enjoyed the write up and very much like your setup.

I have the miniature version, the BT2 and I've yet to test my stove, Lite Outdoors titanium. Looking forward to testing it in some cold weather :D

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Great write up, I've been looking at the Cimmaron for a while, would you say there was enough room for two plus stove and kit ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
braw write up...
Thanks! From previous Scottish hiking experience I found that after a few days the damp gets me longing for when I can go home and dry off... Now with this tent I am always very reluctant to finish a trip!!
I have been looking at those trackers a lot but I'm a poor student so probably can't afford it, besides I always prefer backpacking with homemade gear, it seems somehow more fulfilling. If i can find somewhere to get buckskin I'll make up some of those tyvek lined mukluks. I've always wanted some mukluks but without the dry snow of Scandinavia and the damp here something fairly waterproof is preferable... Though I firmly believe it is actually impossible to keep shoes dry for more than 4 hours hiking in Scotland!! I'd usually embrace the wet but cold feet on the last few trips has got me searching for a solution again...

Enjoyed the write up and very much like your setup.

I have the miniature version, the BT2 and I've yet to test my stove, Lite Outdoors titanium. Looking forward to testing it in some cold weather

Im pretty pleased with the setup I have now, there are still a few bits in my kit that still need refining, my cook/water system isnt all that great. I also haven't tried it in the rain so we'll see how it handles like that. I really want to test mine out in some proper cold, I was looking forward to some real negative temperatures like we had during the week but in the end it was barely cold enough for a frost that morning!! My Cairngorm trip in a few months will be colder though!

I've been looking at the Cimmaron for a while, would you say there was enough room for two plus stove and kit ?

It's a really great tent. Two people would definitely fit but it would be a little cramped. I was cooking in one half in the evening while the whole other half was taken up by the nest. If that nest were unclipped, someone else could be sat on that, and it could definitely sleep two. Kit wouldn't be a problem either, when sat up, to keep your head from touching the walls you sit fairly central, which means the space around the edges is free for plenty of kit.
My only concern would be that from about 4:30 in the evening I didn't really leave the tent, when its heated you 'live' in the shelter more than normal, so you could get pretty annoyed sharing such a small space with someone for so long. Though if there were two of you you might be more inclined to put up a tarp and sit outside around a campfire until much later in the evening. Two could definitely sleep comfortably, and perhaps cook and shelter if they were very happy with each others company, but two people definitely wouldn't be able to 'live' in the tent like they can in traditional hot tenting, in that respect its still more of a backpacking tent than a basecamp type thing, even for one person. Anything bigger would have an awkwardly large footprint though, especially for discreet uk wild camping.

Looks good! (I was running in the Pentlands on Saturday, but nearer Flotterston)
I got a lot of strange looks from most the runners - I don't think they could comprehend the idea of someone sleeping out in this weather!!

Last edited:

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
What stove is that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It's the seek outside 'medium' stove, its the smallest one they make and it came in a package with the tent. It's a great stove, I love the adjustable air intake in the bottom and the chimney damper - it means you an get it to burn real slow. The sliding door can be a little fiddly though.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
One of the reasons I picked the Lite Outdoors stove was it had a hinged door... has the same adjustable air intake and chimney damper, and I got the version with the baffle.... I have the 12" and 18" version of the stove.

I won't know until I test it how effective it is and how fast it will boil water, cook food or heat the space I want it to... but I've watched dozens of videos of it in action.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
One of the reasons I picked the Lite Outdoors stove was it had a hinged door... has the same adjustable air intake and chimney damper, and I got the version with the baffle.... I have the 12" and 18" version of the stove.

I won't know until I test it how effective it is and how fast it will boil water, cook food or heat the space I want it to... but I've watched dozens of videos of it in action.

I did consider that stove but things that put me off were how flimsy the legs looked attached to the flexible drum in videos, and it looked a little more fiddly to put together too. I also liked the idea of having a flat surface to put things like steel water bottles as well as pots and pans on - I know the drum can support larger pots but i'd worry about balancing smaller containers on it! I know it is a bit cheaper though and that hinged door would be a nice thing to have! It was also easier to get the tent and stove both in the bundle from seek outside. I don't mind the sliding door and it seems to save weight but yea it is a little fiddly. If I got really annoyed with it I could probably bend out the sliding flaps and bolt on my own hinges though!!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
It's a really great tent. Two people would definitely fit but it would be a little cramped. I was cooking in one half in the evening while the whole other half was taken up by the nest. If that nest were unclipped, someone else could be sat on that, and it could definitely sleep two. Kit wouldn't be a problem either, when sat up, to keep your head from touching the walls you sit fairly central, which means the space around the edges is free for plenty of kit.
My only concern would be that from about 4:30 in the evening I didn't really leave the tent, when its heated you 'live' in the shelter more than normal, so you could get pretty annoyed sharing such a small space with someone for so long. Though if there were two of you you might be more inclined to put up a tarp and sit outside around a campfire until much later in the evening. Two could definitely sleep comfortably, and perhaps cook and shelter if they were very happy with each others company, but two people definitely wouldn't be able to 'live' in the tent like they can in traditional hot tenting, in that respect its still more of a backpacking tent than a basecamp type thing, even for one person. Anything bigger would have an awkwardly large footprint though, especially for discreet uk wild camping.

Thanks for the info, saved me a bit of head scratching and umming and ahhing, not much chance of sitting around a tarp outside though, I have the Helsport Varanger 4-6 and that is going to be home for 2 weeks in January - February in Northern Sweden for 2 of us out of a group of 6 that are going cold camping there, I was looking at trying to save space and a couple of kilos but I'll pass now, thanks.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I did consider that stove but things that put me off were how flimsy the legs looked attached to the flexible drum in videos, and it looked a little more fiddly to put together too. I also liked the idea of having a flat surface to put things like steel water bottles as well as pots and pans on - I know the drum can support larger pots but i'd worry about balancing smaller containers on it! I know it is a bit cheaper though and that hinged door would be a nice thing to have! It was also easier to get the tent and stove both in the bundle from seek outside. I don't mind the sliding door and it seems to save weight but yea it is a little fiddly. If I got really annoyed with it I could probably bend out the sliding flaps and bolt on my own hinges though!!

They've modified the design since they did the videos... instead of the hook together wires, they've been replaced with solid metal bars. Makes it easier to assemble, but also it means you can put your pan/kettle onto the bars instead of onto the stove top.... that is the theory anyway.

Completely agree about the legs... the legs points inwards on either side and it looks to be unstable. Once I've tested it properly, I'll have a better idea how stable it is in the real world.

There is no weight advantage between the two stoves, they both weigh pretty much the same and by the looks of how yours packs down, they're very similar in that respect as well.

One thing I have been practising is putting together and taking apart the stove with gloves on. Its a little more fiddly with gloves on, but doable.

As you say though, having a bundle deal is easier than trying to mix and match equipment. What gave me some confidence was a YouTube video of the Lite Outdoors stove being used in a BT2 and in some properly cold weather... -16f (which I think is about -22c). Took the guy 10 minutes to boil a kettle. Given the temperatures, I don't think that is bad at all.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks good, I'm always paranoid about putting ember holes in my tipis when burning softwoods, did you get any errant sparks?

I must get my SO 4 man tipi and stove out a bit more this winter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE