Hot tent overnight in the Pentlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Great report, felt like i was proper along for the trip reading that even the taking turns waking up to top the stove up bit

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great report, much enjoyed reading that.

Only downside is now I want a hot tent! :)

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
We got strange looks from the walkers! Running over some of the ice was a bit treacherous....

I myself was throwing looks to the mountain bikers riding over the icy paths - i doubt i would be able to stay upright! I think we're all a bit mad up on the hills!

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
As you say though, having a bundle deal is easier than trying to mix and match equipment. What gave me some confidence was a YouTube video of the Lite Outdoors stove being used in a BT2 and in some properly cold weather... -16f (which I think is about -22c). Took the guy 10 minutes to boil a kettle. Given the temperatures, I don't think that is bad at all.

Once you get the knack of using the damper etc. it can boil things really quick! My only problem was because the evening was so mild running the stove on cooking temperature turned the tent into a sauna! Propping the door open a bit helps though. Looking forward to some winter trips further north now though.

Looks good, I'm always paranoid about putting ember holes in my tipis when burning softwoods, did you get any errant sparks?

The sark arrestor did its job pretty well, there were a couple floating up out the chimney when it was really roaring but they extinguished before they started floating down. I'd like to make myself a little chimney rain cover with an extra spark arrestor for it eventually though just to be safe.

Great report, felt like i was proper along for the trip reading that even the taking turns waking up to top the stove up bit

Thanks, having someone along with me to feed the stove would have been good, they might have heated the tent at night a little more too!! :naughty:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Awesome write up and trip. I like the portable stove, I've been hankering for one but can't justify it. Next time take a pic of the pack frame too if you would mind. I've got those same billy cans (or at least very similar, mine came as a nesting set of 3) I've found the small one fits in a pattern 90 water bottle pouch along with a wood gas stove providing a compact cook kit in a pouch.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Thans for the kind words everyone, looks like this trip report has been a danger to a lot of peoples wallets!! I myself am still drooling over the seek outside 6 man tent - one thats big enough to sand up in so it can be used as a true basecamp and not just a camping tent, long time until I'd ever get one of those though, they are a lot heavier and more expensive!!

Next time take a pic of the pack frame too if you would mind. I've got those same billy cans (or at least very similar, mine came as a nesting set of 3) I've found the small one fits in a pattern 90 water bottle pouch along with a wood gas stove providing a compact cook kit in a pouch.

I will do, It came with a non padded webbing waist belt and simple paced straps. I did a trip with it like that but found it uncomfortable. I have since added a modded molle waist belt and modded molle H shoulder straps, with the little load lifter straps for a three point system and it is very comfortable, though I'm still fine tuning it. It's great for winter camping as many of the bulkier winter items like coats, extra roll mats and sleeping bags can be scrapped to the outside.

And that does sound like the same billy can set - I always leave the large one at home. I liked how the lids can double as frying pans too. I think I'd eventually like to replace the two cans with just the small can and a stainless steel water bottle with nesting cup. At the moment I keep my tinter box and firelighting kit, as well as a few porridge pouches in the small can, but it all sits in the pack.

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
Is that the brown color tent or the green ? It looks brown in the photos . I think I'm about to buy the 4 man tipi and can't decide on color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
You can find a review I did of the stove on here somewhere. Should be in the articles section. It's a great performer for the weight. I have taken mine canoeing in Finland. Takes the abuse thrown at it by baggage handlers.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Is that the brown color tent or the green ? It looks brown in the photos . I think I'm about to buy the 4 man tipi and can't decide on color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the brown one, I think it blends in better in woodland, but thats just my opinion! I'd have got the 4 man if I could spare the weight and $ to be honest, I occasionally miss the extra room!

You can find a review I did of the stove on here somewhere. Should be in the articles section. It's a great performer for the weight. I have taken mine canoeing in Finland. Takes the abuse thrown at it by baggage handlers.

Thanks I'l take a look, it is a great stove. I'm doing a 3 night trip up north this week and it doesn't look like it will get into the minuses but its so light I think I'll take it anyway! I'm just looking up recipes to cook on it now!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are no flies on your skills. Was wondering about a spark arrestor in a dense forest, but you did make mention of that.
Looks dry enough to wear mukluks at least as camp shoes to keep your feet warm. Calorie loss in cold camping
is hard to replace.
I could have stayed in that spot for a week. Cold weather = drawing/pastels instead of paint?

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
There are no flies on your skills. Was wondering about a spark arrestor in a dense forest, but you did make mention of that.
Looks dry enough to wear mukluks at least as camp shoes to keep your feet warm. Calorie loss in cold camping
is hard to replace.
I could have stayed in that spot for a week. Cold weather = drawing/pastels instead of paint?

Thanks! Yea I checked a few times when the stove was really going and there were no sparks coming from the top, and you can't see it in the photo but the tent is pitched in quite a clearing there were no branches overhead.
Around camp was pretty dry because of all the newly fallen pine needles but going to collect wood or water was very very damp, with melting frost and marshy unfrozen ground, but this time I used waterproof motorcycle boot covers over my camp booties which worked well.

And the photo is deciding - the actual spot as great I could have stayed for a week but it was a little corner of a very very busy regional park right next to Edinburgh's suburbs so there isn't much privacy - a similar spot miles from anywhere and it would be perfect!

I'm not a massive fan of pastel drawing - if I'm drawing it's usually with ink or pencil. I haven't found much issue with painting in the cold (and linseed oil based paints freeze at something like -16 so i'm fine in scotland) the only problem is that sitting for a few hours can get cold. I think that only happened because I was warm when I stopped and was silly and didn't immediately add layers. Howell, we lie and learn!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
URL=http

this was where we were running on Sunday, near the North Esk Reservoir... the Pentlands are a great place, we were running here for 2 hours before we met anyone..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE