The Girl shows how to blow your fire to a blaze from the comfort of your sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've copied Teepee's idea with the telescopic shaft from an inspection mirror, much he same as a radio aerial but a little bit wider. Packs down to nothing, about the size of a biro pen and slips easily into a fire kit or pack pocket.

Clever, that. Bet that has lots of other creative uses too.

I can instantly imagine a few. Nice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Isn't the range of experience offered amazing though :D

Disagreeing doesn't mean that others haven't researched or practiced; indeed the corollary is often true.

I usually find that using my hand as a fan, much as a fish uses it's fins to fine tune it's position in the current, allows me to direct air where I want it. Keeping a coal alive and encouraging it to glow inside and bind together is a classic example of controlled delivery of air just where you want it. Try it with a candle flame and you can get the hang of it very quickly :)

I do pack a blow poker with my hobo stove though, simply for ease.

I have used natural tubes too, from angelica stems to cleaned out elder. Be careful which white umbellifleurs that are chosen though; hogweed makes brilliant tubes but the sap is photosensitising and can leave skin in a horrible, painful, mess.

cheers,
Toddy

Isn't the range of experience offered amazing though :D

Disagreeing doesn't mean that others haven't researched or practiced; indeed the corollary is often true.

I usually find that using my hand as a fan, much as a fish uses it's fins to fine tune it's position in the current, allows me to direct air where I want it. Keeping a coal alive and encouraging it to glow inside and bind together is a classic example of controlled delivery of air just where you want it. Try it with a candle flame and you can get the hang of it very quickly :)

I do pack a blow poker with my hobo stove though, simply for ease.

I have used natural tubes too, from angelica stems to cleaned out elder. Be careful which white umbellifleurs that are chosen though; hogweed makes brilliant tubes but the sap is photosensitising and can leave skin in a horrible, painful, mess.

cheers,
Toddy

Yow! I did not know that about hogweed. I will be on the lookout.

I like the variations very much.

Totally agree with the hand waving for the ember. - Essential.

Not having to leave that comfy position you have found in order to blow on your fire - awesome creative laziness.

:)

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
The straw that we carry also has a similar pitch of elk calls, not much use in the UK though :) But does gets elk's (Wapiti) attention

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I will second the advice about being careful of umbellifers. Several are seriously toxic as well. I purchased a length of metal tubing from a diy store and sawed it into two lengths. A short piece about the length of a wooden spoon for fitting into my mess kit, and a longer one for group camps where folk are sat around a larger fire (the extra length allows you to avoid having to get too close). A blow poker can be put right into a fire to direct the air exactly where you want it, and there is always a gap in the pack big enough to put one.

One tip is to take a short length of rubber tubing, perhaps 2 inches long, and fit it onto the end of your blow poker. This gives a better mouth feel, and allows for more controlled blowing, but also gives you a 'fire end' and a 'mouth end', thereby avoiding the problem of picking up a metal blow poker and putting the hot end in your mouth (been there, done that, tongue and lips now healed :eek:).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Inhaling sap from Giant Hogweed can be fatal. Getting it on your skin is pretty bad.

True, but Hogweed and Giant hogweed are very different plants. Hogweed will make a blow poker, Giant hogweed stems look more like a bazooka or a digeridoo! Ordinary hogweed is an edible plant, especially when young. Giant hogweed is poisonous. It is important to be able to tell the difference.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
True, but Hogweed and Giant hogweed are very different plants. Hogweed will make a blow poker, Giant hogweed stems look more like a bazooka or a digeridoo! Ordinary hogweed is an edible plant, especially when young. Giant hogweed is poisonous. It is important to be able to tell the difference.

Personally I wouldnt do a blow poker with hogweed, even if it is dried, i know people have been fine with it, but i wouldnt. Hogweed like parsnip can cause chemical burns with sun light. Gaint hogweed does the same but it is really vicious about it. I eat hogweed shoots this time of year, it is rather nice sauted then put in a omlette.

I picked some alexanders the other week, they smelt like retting linen when cooked. {to everyone that is not toddy retting linen smells really really very bad] The stems are hollow and they are some of the few umbellifers with yellow flowers so are safe to ID if want a blow poker that may or may not smell appalling. I cant think of yellow flowered umbellifer that is a killer, parsinp can give you a rash in sunlight.

Elder does good blow pokers, as long as it doesnt get too close, the smoke is rank. I have fashioned one out of bulrush leaves, they are pretty fire proof when fresh so you can get right in. I roled three and tied them together. Not very sturdy though.

Last edited:
Fanning another fire. Outdoors in the moonlit forest.

Where we belong.

GNight from Bavaria

10171679_10202729909762959_2540134115930182869_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE