Show us your D.I.Y favourites!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Your Favourite method of D.I.Y Fabrication!

• Total voters

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Since I joined BCUK a couple of years ago I have seen some amazing bits of kit that have been made by you guys / girls.

What I want from this thread is two things:

1) Please vote on the poll above as to what is your favourite area of D.I.Y fabrication.
2) Show us a photo or two of your favourite bit of kit that you have made.

Now no sitting on the fence with the old "I have made so many different bits & pieces I don't know which one to choose!"
So take your time and add a photo as and when you have made the ultimate decision.

Hopefully this thread will turn into one where people will be inspired with all the different types of D.I.Y in one easy thread.

I look forward to seeing your stuff!!

NB: If you do upload a photo please make sure you reduce the size so that it doesn't take up too much room on the post!

wozbo

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2007
south yorkshire
Hi Greg dont make much bushcrafty stuff, only knives im afraid heres a few old ones
2009_05290043.jpg

and two newest ones.
2009_06070036.jpg

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Since coming on here I've really got into leather :D It's one of the nicest materials to work with and with a few tools you can produce descent quality work.

And at the end of the day its a natural material:)

Some recent work..........

DSCF1825.jpg

DSCF1540_opt.jpg

Richard

Currently Fav and most satisfying was a simple Spoon

Rowspnfin1.jpg

Mainly as its carved from Rowan (my new sons name)
and i made it with a Knife and spoon knife i had made myself I like the double layer of making

Rowspncrv11.jpg

ive just started leatherwork which is harder than it looks (to get a good job) so its fun to do something differnt and challanging

ATB

Duncan

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I am just starting out in this sewing malarky really. I've made 2 tarps and a couple of hammocks so far.

The largest Tarp, olive green ripstop synthetic silk or nylon :p about 4m by 4M, I think it weighs about 300 grams.

PIC_0069.jpg

The first one I made a couple of years back, about 3.5m ish by about 2.5m ish.. lol had it's first outing in 2007 just as the weather truned nasty that year, was peeing down that night and stayed completely dry, not even water proofed..:D a heavier synthetic silk, not ripstop.

up2xc0.th.jpg

The first double layer hammock, okay I know you can't see the full thing, but it's about 2.5 meters long and quite comfy. Well it was, I gave it to the next door kids to stop em playing in the newer one I made.. :rolleyes: :D

24052009003.jpg

Finally a rather poor pic of the latest one, yes it's purple.. :lmao: weighs in at a comfy 450 grams inc 2 wee bits of cord at the ends, and is 3m long, and very very comfy.

07012005001.jpg

What I really want to do is make some clothing, which I will do as soon as I get some decent material, which will be after I get some poorer material to play with.. :D

Cheers,

EDIT: forgot to say what my fav is, well the tarp has been getting more use than most, but right now I'm quite chuffed with the hammocks, they turned out to be a lot easier than I thought, and work well - although yet to field test them, hopefully do that soon.

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
I really enjoy woodworking.
Even though my level off skill isn't no where near that off some of the things I've seen on here.
I have made a few rustic benches, spoons and 1 cup.

But I'v made a few knives as well, but that was mostly making the handle, and I think that count as woodwork. :p

I haven't got any pictures sorry. But I'll try and make a few that are worthy off posting :)

Bas

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Woodwork, leatherwork, metalwork and the mrs does basketry and herbalism.

Tend not to take many pics though. Only when i need to.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
yurtclan1.jpg

Our yurt was the most ambitious bit of kit, and one that took several months to complete, all of us in the family did some work on it, Joe, Jack and I did most of the woodwork, Jane did the canvas.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I voted for leatherwork but over the years I have played with many DIY materials and have made knives, clothing, furniture, equipment.
I realy want to try more basketry and flintknapping.
Apart from the clothing (I used to be a designer of outdoor clothing for such names as Craghoppers and Snowdon Clothing) most of what I have done is comparatively crude - but I enjoy doing it all!

Bush Monkey

Nov 15, 2009
The Gower
My favorite peice and only is a small pouch I finished about am hour ago.
Its the first time ive ever made sumet like this and is not gonna be the last.
Dont have any pics though...

D

dboles

Although shopless right now( and havent done for a year or so).Build and restore old wood/canvas canoes and build new ones from locally milled materials.A wood worker friend traded me woodworking skills for mine of hunting/trapping fishing.Have at least a dozen boats under our belts
Heres a couple pictures of a different sort of canoe.It a longtitudinal model all wood joinery to keep it watertight.Managed to purchase iut and a nice restoration.
IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8108.jpg

a very nice hobby that can keep a person busy.If not making curls of wood, making of water when paddling!!
Dan'l

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE