Favourite Street Food? Please Answer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just remembered - the donner kebabs served in a little village I had once - in a soft Naan bread with roast peppers, caramalised onions, sour cream and roast garlic. It was a moment in time.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Thank you. you learn something new everyday.

I dont really like most street food, it is too greasy. You can get very good burgers around here with welsh black beef. In Stoke on trent i liked eating oatcakes with beans, mushroom and cheese. There was a brillant kebab shop in shelton in stoke, he made his own kebab animals. He got caught in a explosion in the shop, and had to stop working in kitchens.

Last edited:

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
@ dave-the-rave Good call once spent a drunken weekend at Barrossa Barracks near iserlohn. Still remember the hangover. Is your avatar the Gordon Highlanders cap badge ?

It is indeed mate. I was stationed in Barrossa Barracks for 5 years so if you got a kicking it wasn't nowt to do with me. Honest. :rolleyes:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
But how available is it now? I've not spent blocks of time in London since the 90's but it was not that popular in terms of outlets back then, same as jellied ells.

Talk of Paris how about the humble Croque Monsieur?

Croque_monsieur.jpg

Pffwarrrr. Now thats a cheese and ham butty...

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
chinese chips served on a palm leaf off the singapore street market trader its been 50 years but i still remember at the taste regards dave

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
chinese chips on a palm leaf in a singapore market trader stall i can still remember the taste regards dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The best street food I have ever eaten is Pad Thai in Chiang Mai (it seemed to be different everywhere I went). I generally do not do "street food"... but it IS hard to beat a Bacon Roll on a frosty morning :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
In Aberdeen (Dyce to be precise) there is a Thai Wifey who has a van on one of the industrial estates. You literally turn up and she cooks your lunch there and then to order. Its all fresh, piping hot and as hot or mild as you want it. Stunning!

I still can't pass a Pork roast stall. I just love a good roast pork, stuffing and apple sauce sarnie.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used to be a great Baked Tattie shop; called B.J.'s in St. Andrews in the late 80's/early 90's. Like been said before proper baked spuds(all crispy skinned, with fluffy buttery inners) and a menu selection like I've never seen anywhere the likes of since. They also did half&halfs, where you'd get a choice of two fillings. My good lady would usually have the prawn cocktail and I would usually have a half and half macaroni cheese and haggis. Then off down to the harbour to eat them looking out over the water. Courting fun.
When I used to climb out in Turkey you'd get some great street food. Little markets on the bend in a mountain road with charcoal/stick ovens baking the best fresh bread. Baklava, and hot roasted pistachios. In Ankara (the one place I wasn't keen on) we'd been wandering around looking for eats and nothing took our fancy when we smelt the most wonderful aroma, this little old man again with a charcoal oven/brazier making simple chicken kebabs chopped on his deeply bevelled board. Heaven. In the market there was also a fruit juice seller who put liquid in a cup by dipping a chromed rod/straw into the container, placing his thumb over the top and using the air pressure/surface tension to transfer the liquid. You could either drink from his cups of bring your own, and no matter what the size of cup he always got it perfectly correct. Was great to watch.
When I used to live up Fochabers way we'd go and get our "fancy piece" from the bakery and one shop when you timed it right sold hot plain or cheese rowies. (Aberdeen rolls to the uninitiated or butteries).

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anymore suggestions for proper Street food? Things that don't require a Shop to cook and serve - many thanks.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Few things beat a warm 'stroopwafel' from the market in the town my school is in. I get one every other wednesday.

recipe-pix-2312-1024x518.jpg

Oh yeah...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE