Canned food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I had a tin of beef curry today. wasn't bad.

wasn't great and it's still recurring on me tbh - but it wasn't bad. :eek:

andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Princes_Bacon_Grill300g.jpg

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
You can get beans in a carton in Asda, so it can actually be burnt after use. They aren't too bad, I might try and find other foods in cartons that normally come in tins as I find packing tins away always leaves either a mess or your kit stinking!

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
Ive been reading this thread with interest.

Buying tinned food def works out cheaper, how ever it pays to look at the ingredients. I just had a look at Asda smart price mince and onions 68pence 28% beef, however asda own brand is 98pence with 60% beef.

Obviously you get what you pay for, but one thing I have noticed is the use of Mechanically Recovered Meat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_separated_meat being used in tinned meat.

I would want to steer clear of this stuff, but what are your thoughts on MRM ?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I would be inclined to agree. but my wallet is bigger than me and has a bat:eek:

on a serious note - I do tend to check the ingredients of things haven't eaten before as I am allergic to certain colours and preservatives.

I am often supprised at how little rubbish there is in cheap stuff - yet the more expensive versions are full of cr*p.

The tin of curry I tried at the weekend was rather good - I imagine it would be even better on a cold night ;) - not to much rubbish in it either - AND they had a whole load of them.

I find all of the beef stew type stuff has the colouring I'm allergic to in it.

andy

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
There's some nifty CHEAP boil in the bag stuff out there too, if you like curry. A vist to yer local friendly asian store will offer up a world o delights.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Gotta love canned foods for all the assorted tins of fish you can get that they don't offer in the foil packets. Plus I am not sure if they do offer it in foil packets is tuna and other fishes in oil my prefered way to have it.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Ahhhhh! beer! Well that's a canned food isn't it??? Beer = liquid bread. Well, anyway, I'm all about canned food, although it IS heavy.

Here are some of my canned favorites that I buy routinely:

Crown Prince Brisling Sardines (in olive oil). A product of Scotland.
Polar Kipper Snacks. A product of Germany
Crown Prince Kipper Snacks. A product of Canada
Bumble Bee Chicken Salad (with crackers). A product of the US.
Bumble Bee Tuna Salad (with crackers). A product of the US.

All of these can be eaten right out of the can, no muss, no fuss.

The Bumble Bee products have some saltine crackers and a small plastic spoon to put the tuna / chicken onto the crackers. Quite good.

Of course there is always Spam. Most Americans will deny that they have ever eaten any ever in their lives. The sales of Spam show this to be a lie. I will admit to eating it and to liking it. But I only like it fried. Spam, fried potatoes, eggs. Mummmm! Well perhaps you CAN hear your arteries hardening, but that's another thread.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Crown Prince Brisling Sardines (in olive oil). A product of Scotland.

I've never heard of that, I don't think we can get that here!! Must be for the export market.

Spam is hugely popular here, especially Spam Fritters (done in batter).

That shocked me as I always thought it was part of a poor person's diet (we were poor) but I saw it sell out in a Works Canteen about six years ago and there was almost a riot.

I like eating it straight from the tin. :)

atb

Liam

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
A few years ago I saw the CEO of the company that makes Spam, being interviewed on television. He stated that Spam was made from bits and pieces that were trimmed off of the bone of the best cuts of meat. He went on to say that there were no internal organ or undesirable parts like ears or snouts in it.

So those who were concerned about that can rest easy.

During WWII, Spam was part of the army canned rations. I think a lot of soldiers developed a taste for it that they brought home after the war.

I wonder if it was supplied to Britain as part of the war effort, and was in Brit rations? Would be interested to know. I do know tons of it was shipped to Russia under the lend lease act.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
you can get a can of curry for £1 and 5 minute rice for 19p, get two packets of the rice and you can feed two for £1.40 so why do we get the bag meals? Cans are not that heavy are they? Awkward to pack?
Just been to Tesco's. Their value Curry is 4p a tin - I kid you not, four pence a tin! and it don't taste to bad either. Mild for us whoosies.
Sweet & sour is 40p a tin
That takes it down to 42p to feed two people
:drive:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A few years ago I saw the CEO of the company that makes Spam, being interviewed on television. He stated that Spam was made from bits and pieces that were trimmed off of the bone of the best cuts of meat. He went on to say that there were no internal organ or undesirable parts like ears or snouts in it.

So those who were concerned about that can rest easy.

During WWII, Spam was part of the army canned rations. I think a lot of soldiers developed a taste for it that they brought home after the war.

I wonder if it was supplied to Britain as part of the war effort, and was in Brit rations? Would be interested to know. I do know tons of it was shipped to Russia under the lend lease act.

Spam was available in the UK during WW2 and was very popular. It often came up on the 'black market' or sold by US troops to the public (as were things like canned fruit, smokes, nylons, coffee etc).

Hoarding food in the UK was against the law during WW2, but anyway, my mom, single at the time had a 'fling' with a USAF officer. One Sunday morning a jeep pulled up outside of my moms mothers house stocked up with cases of 'goodies'. My gran told me in later years that she had to hide the food all over the house, under floor boards etc lol. My mom told me that if the US pilot had not gone and got killed there was every chance I would have been an American; he had proposed to her only days before his death :(

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm not that bothered. I have to admit a liking to Bacon Grill, it must be down to my military service :D
I tend to use canned beans in stews when I'm out to save soaking, and some of the canned curry/chilli is very good too.
I did notice last time I was home that Asda have started selling baked beans in cartons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE