Favourite Street Food? Please Answer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I've had them out of packets before Niels, not as good as the real thing, but still lush :)!

Those are good too. I microwave those to improve them. But with the ones they sell on the street here the syrup is still liquid an warm and they're less tough than the store bought ones. The syrup comes from a big pot like this one:

800px-Stroopwafel_syrup_gouda.jpg

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Those are good too. I microwave those to improve them. But with the ones they sell on the street here the syrup is still liquid an warm and they're less tough than the store bought ones. The syrup comes from a big pot like this one:

800px-Stroopwafel_syrup_gouda.jpg

Looks tasty! Wouldn't mind licking that bowl when they're finished with it (I looked for a smiley that licks its lips, but I couldn't find one!)!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
White pudding n chips (Scotland )was the best, rissoles n chips (Wales) but a real treat is cod n chips from that chippy in Covent garden outstanding ......sorry to go on but I'm avin a fasting day

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So far nothing I've posted needs a shop. All from street vendors with food carts.

Thats excellent Santaman, My comment wasn't aimed at your or anyone in particular ( don't know if you took it that way as you commentated? ), just wanted to add clarification to what Streetfood is to get some more suggestions.

Many thanks for everyone who has so far left some comments and suggestions.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats excellent Santaman, My comment wasn't aimed at your or anyone in particular ( don't know if you took it that way as you commentated? ), just wanted to add clarification to what Streetfood is to get some more suggestions.

Many thanks for everyone who has so far left some comments and suggestions.

Thanks. No, I didn't take it personally. Just thought you deserved an answer. I'm more or less like British Red in that I think "street food" should be able to eat on the go without utensils. And with you in that it should come from an ordinary street vendor or food booth at a fair, etc. Some exception made for oriental noodles (sold by street vendors but some utensils may be required)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Few things beat a warm 'stroopwafel' from the market in the town my school is in. I get one every other wednesday.

recipe-pix-2312-1024x518.jpg

Oh yeah...

They also make them in Wales - Dutch folk who emigrated here first just made them on a market stall then set up a factory making them - in a little village called Llandysul where I often go :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Would have to go with the grilled cheese and ham sandwich, aka Croque Monsieur.

An honourable mention goes to

[video=youtube;ZyJoqS__7O0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyJoqS__7O0[/video]

Pressurised cast iron vessel, fire and explosions... what's not to like? ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My favourite is Roti Parata which we found a number of years ago whilst visiting Singapore.

It is a thin layered pancake with a small serving of incendiary strength fish curry as a breakfast snack - a wake up with a kick

Wash it down with some fresh coconut juice or sugar cane juice and you're set for the morning!

ATB

Ogri the trog

xylaria

I do like welsh faggots and mash. Our local butchers does some lovely ones served hot. The portion is enough to feed two people.

[FAO anyone not from the UK; a faggot is a large meatball made from well seasoned minced offal, notabley lambs liver. It is normally served with onion gravy.]

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Speaking of Po-Boys, I might have to try this one next Summer when baseball season restarts:

THE BATTLESHIP at the local minor league team's (the Blue Wahoos) ballpark!

1374927_573761572671906_922890495_n.jpg

Pensacola Blue Wahoos Michele Fiona DivaShell - besides being a tasty treat that can easily feed a family of four, here are the ingredients as announced in our press release about it: "The Battleship features jumbo fresh caught gulf shrimp, fried fresh oysters, two whole fried soft shell blue crabs and lightly fried potato salad “baseballs” with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and lemon tartar sauce all on a foot-long French bread roll garnished with a pair of grape tomato 'pegs.'" We hope you'll try one next season! WAHOO!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is there any reason they didn't deep fry the lettuce?

LOL. Because the lettuce, tomato and such aren't traditionally fried (at least not ripe tomatoes) and would be limp if they were. The other ingredients however have been deep fried for over 150 years except the potato salad (though not served on a sandwich until about 90 years ago)

How else would you serve soft shell crab? (remember you eat shell and all) And though I've eaten oysters many ways, there's non better than dredged in cornmeal and fried.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The brits invented the deep fried mars bar, the seasonal cheer of toffee apples is upon us.

To be honest though deep fried (and to some extent pan frying) is more of a Southern thing. Not an American thing per se, but a Southern thing. Or I suppose it might be considered a "soul" thing as it was originally popularized by the African Americans in the South as a cheap way to add flavor (pork fat) to otherwise bland foods.

Last edited:

xylaria

To be honest though deep fried (and to some extent pan frying) is more of a Southern thing. Not an American thing per se, but a Southern thing. Or I suppose it might be considered a "soul" thing as it was originally popularized by the African Americans in the South as a cheap way to add flavor (pork fat) to otherwise bland foods.

The scots take credit for the deep fried mars bar, they also lead the world in heart disease.

High fat food is alright when you are fighting poverty so bad you need what ever calories you can get your hands on, the problem is now food isnt in such short supply, and people still want to eat "granmas" cooking and high fat food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE