Favourite Street Food? Please Answer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The other ingredients however have been deep fried for over 150 years except the potato salad .

It WAS the potato salad that made me laugh - deep fried mayo!

Xylaria is right about the Scots - last time I was up there I saw a shop selling battered, deep fried, donner kebab pizza!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I watched in appalled horror and stunned disbelief as a friend bought and then guzzled the contents of a Munchy Box.

I jest you not, it contained
Chips,
Kebab 'meat',
Deep fried pizza,
Onion rings,
Fried chicken tikka
Onion bhaji
Spam fritter
Pakora
Garlic bread
Two slices of tomato and a lettuce leaf
and it was all topped with a very generous handful of grated cheese and a ladle full of curry sauce.

Heaven knows what the calorific value was but it must have been near cobalt bomb.

And that was a Medium Munchy Box

The friend I hasten to add weighs in about eight stone when she's soaken wet :rolleyes:

I don't get it, I really don't. We produce some of the best food in the world yet even the lean, fit and healthy among us seem to crave those big heavy grease laden meals :dunno:

Finland, Lithuania and Scotland all seem to share the ill health thing though.
There is a huge discrepancy in health if related to post codes....which is perhaps more worrying.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I watched in appalled horror and stunned disbelief as a friend bought and then guzzled the contents of a Munchy Box.

I jest you not, it contained
Chips,
Kebab 'meat',
Deep fried pizza,
Onion rings,
Fried chicken tikka
Onion bhaji
Spam fritter
Pakora
Garlic bread
Two slices of tomato and a lettuce leaf
and it was all topped with a very generous handful of grated cheese and a ladle full of curry sauce.

Heaven knows what the calorific value was but it must have been near cobalt bomb.

And that was a Medium Munchy Box

The friend I hasten to add weighs in about eight stone when she's soaken wet :rolleyes:

I don't get it, I really don't. We produce some of the best food in the world yet even the lean, fit and healthy among us seem to crave those big heavy grease laden meals :dunno:

Finland, Lithuania and Scotland all seem to share the ill health thing though.
There is a huge discrepancy in health if related to post codes....which is perhaps more worrying.

cheers,
M

But isn't the body programed (especially those living in the cold damp north) to crave sugary/fatty foods as a survival aid?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......High fat food is alright when you are fighting poverty so bad you need what ever calories you can get your hands on, the problem is now food isnt in such short supply, and people still want to eat "granmas" cooking and high fat food.

The ironic thing is granma lived to a ripe old age. And she didn't eat fat meats. Oh no! She just ate straight bacon fat and biscuits covered in molasses. She was skinny as a rail too.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The ironic thing is granma lived to a ripe old age. And she didn't eat fat meats. Oh no! She just ate straight bacon fat and biscuits covered in molasses. She was skinny as a rail too.

I'd put strong money on her not living a sedentry lifestyle however? Plenty of Hard Chores and tasks to get on with.

Am I wrong?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd put strong money on her not living a sedentry lifestyle however? Plenty of Hard Chores and tasks to get on with.

Am I wrong?

Quite true. Not drudgery, but active. Even after her "working years" she continued to walk to the post office every morning to visit with the other old ladies as they waited for the mail. She didn't really start going down until they moved said post office next door shortening said walk. After that the budget cuts closed the village post office forcing everybody to take home delivery.

Kinda like her oldest son, my uncle. He ate healthy veg and fresh meats (albeit fat meats and veg seasoned heavily with pork fat and salt) but was addicted to junk foods like bologna, potted meat, milk shakes, etc (he was a product of the depression and his diet reflected what was readily available when he was growing up) But he was hyperactive also, continuing to raise vegetable gardens by plowing behind a horse well into his 80s. He lived to be 90 but had been through open heart surgery for a multiple bypass.

Another factor for those generations is probably the amount they ate. On average I think they simply ate less than we do now even if what they ate was less healthy as such.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bringing the thread back in line with the OP, isn't part of the pleasure of street food the decadence of being unashamedly unhealthy? Most of the favorites posted here have been either high fat, high salt, high sugar, or some combination thereof.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I agree; compare what we have posted with the staple snack food of yesteryear; the oyster.

I know what I'd prefer after a beer or three and it isn't the slimy rubbery thing!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bringing the thread back in line with the OP, isn't part of the pleasure of street food the decadence of being unashamedly unhealthy? Most of the favorites posted here have been either high fat, high salt, high sugar, or some combination thereof.

Oh hell yeah - a real good donner kebab, lashings of chilli sauce and a soft flat bread of some sort.......and chips...proper chips....not fries!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The opposite for me :) Oysters and guinness mmmmmm.......

Actually, with typical predjudice I can say that I have never tried the things but it is the very idea that puts me off. As they are just swallowed without chewing(?) I don't see the appeal.

Can you enlighten me?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Actually, with typical predjudice I can say that I have never tried the things but it is the very idea that puts me off. As they are just swallowed without chewing(?) I don't see the appeal.

Can you enlighten me?

I chew them. Seems pointless otherwise.

I was eating in a restaurant in Whitstable a few years back and ordered oysters au naturel. My eight year old son decided he wanted to try oysters too. I thought raw would be a bit much of a hurdle so ordered him some cooked - I can't remember what recipe.

He decided he liked them and wanted to try mine. To my surprise the little pig scoffed the lot and insisted on repeat visits to local restaurants and fish stalls to feed his addiction.

Goes to show how much easier it is to eat freely if you have no preconceptions about the food.

Give 'em a try :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the street-food front, seafood if done correctly is hard to beat. Quick, tasty, easy to absorb. Fresh off a boat langoustines, oysters, mussels, prawns, fish & chips. We should eat more in the UK. Always sad to see the lorries taking 90% of the catch off to Europe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE