Canned food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I will freely admit that bacon grill and Spam are first rate. Stag Chilli hits the spot too. I do tend though to make up my own stews and curries at home (that way i know what has gone into them) and bag them up, but mostly, when our group goes out, we bring fresh ingredients and make a big stew/ curry or fry up. We've even done chips!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I will freely admit that bacon grill and Spam are first rate. Stag Chilli hits the spot too. I do tend though to make up my own stews and curries at home (that way i know what has gone into them) and bag them up, but mostly, when our group goes out, we bring fresh ingredients and make a big stew/ curry or fry up. We've even done chips!

Stagg Chilli :) American mates used to talk about this a few years ago, then all of a sudden its on sale in Tesco. A lot of American stuff coming on the shelves recently, things like Betty Crocker pancake mix and Bisquick.

Any UK suppliers of Grits or cornbread mix?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wonder if it was supplied to Britain as part of the war effort, and was in Brit rations? Would be interested to know. I do know tons of it was shipped to Russia under the lend lease act.

Macabrely tinned meat (especially corned beef) is known even now by old salts of the RN as "Sweet Fanny Adams". This refers to the horrifying dismemberment of a young girl just along the road from our cottage - the sailors on confronting tinned mutton said it must have been "sweet Fanny Adams". Later this became "Sweet FA" (the more acknowledged acronym is a later misnomer).

For anyone interested in the history (please, its not for the delicate of stomach), there is a write up on the Hampshire website

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/curtis-museum/alton-history/fanny-adams.htm

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
After D day with troops mingling with local lasses in Europe, SPAM picked up another name amongst troops, but not one I can spell out in full on a family forum;)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Red, thanks for posting the link, I love language and the origins of words and phrases, and this is one which I'd never known the history of.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Stagg Chili :D I was surprised to see that on here.

It's been awhile since I've had Spam but I remember my dad used to serve it up now and then. Baked, I think, with cloves.

I have switched from B&M baked beans to Bush's Best brand baked beans. Tasty.

I'll take canned food along for an outing. Often it is easier than hauling water to rehydrate meals or just gets me out the door faster.

I love this cornbread mix:
http://www.hodgsonmill.com/roi/673/More-Baking-Mixes/Cornbread--Muffin-Mix-00801.htm

An extra egg, plenty of butter and about 6oz green chile, yeah, that's for dinner tonight:D
https://www.weshipchile.com/index.php?productID=14

I am absolutely addicted to green chile. We get it fresh (in the fall) or frozen. I know that I've seen it in cans, will have a look around.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexican_cuisine

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I am absolutely addicted to green chile.

Ah'... This explains the colour of your Packraft!
happy0054.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For car camping tins are fine, otherwise it's weight I just won't carry.

I do like the Marigold braised tofu in tins :) a lot less fuss and bother than the packets swimming in water.
I also like grapefruit at breakfast, buying the wee tins of it already prepared makes life easy.
I like marrowfat peas and those little potatoes for the basis for a stew if I'm only taking a stove along and don't want to boil food for ages.

HWMBLT likes the bacon grill stuff, and yeah he likes it frittered but camping he just fries it up.
He takes the small evaporated milk tins along when he's camping.

I have to admit I don't really use a lot of tins, even at home. Handy though.

cheers,
Toddy

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
boil in the bag type rice a tin of tuna some tomato puree and some chili flakes :) put the rice on and mix up the tuna, tomato puree and some flaked chilis or dried chilis or whatever you prefer really (i quite like it with just the seeds from chili) then add a bit of water but not much fry up the tuna mix then put it on the rice :) not too much tinned stuff needed that way tuna comes in diddy cans lol.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Rik and BR, Both very interesting stories.

My brother-in-law flew in a B-17 out of Ridgewell during the war. Ridgewell had been the home of RAF 90 Squadron prior to the arrival of 381 Bomb Group. I understand there is a monument on the site but that the base is almost entirely gone, with only some remains of buildings, and has reverted back to farmland for the most part.

The mention of Spam can take you to all sorts of interesting places.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My brother-in-law flew in a B-17 out of Ridgewell during the war. Ridgewell had been the home of RAF 90 Squadron prior to the arrival of 381 Bomb Group. I understand there is a monument on the site but that the base is almost entirely gone, with only some remains of buildings, and has reverted back to farmland for the most part.

Did you know B-17 "The Joker" returned to the USA after flying 50 missions from RAF Ridgewell?

You might like this picc :)

JOKER.JPG

Red

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks for the picture Red, I had not seen it before. There is a documentary film called, I believe, "All the Fine Young Men" It followed a young pilot and his crew during the war. I found out just a few days ago, that this particular pilot was in the 381 Bomb Group flying out of Ridgewell. I think it was shown on the History Channel. I saw it about six or seven years ago. Now, I'm looking for it again, since I found out that most of the ground portion of the documentary was shot at Ridgewell. Coincidentally, I have heard that former members of air crews who have seen it say that it captures what bombing missions and air combat was all about better that any other documentary.
Thanks again for the picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE