corona virus projects any one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you had a shot at making 'Neolithic knotless netting' John ?
It's basically just row upon row of open blanket stitches. Make a shape the size you want of your finished net from the start of your cordage. I usually just make a rectangle, and slip knot it closed (so it can come out if I want to use the cordage again) wrap down the side until you reach the bottom of where you want your mesh to be and then stitch your way across the net using the header line. I stretch out my top line, the header line between two trees or clothes poles.
No unusable again cordage. It will all come undone if necessary but by wrapping it around to make each mesh the net is surprising sound and effective.
Cordage takes a lot of work to make well, they didn't waste it. Your mesh size is only limited by the size of the ball or wrap of cordage that you have to pass through it.

I do make knotted nets but this one's quick and fun, and it's easy to demonstrate, let folks get hands on and can be undone when they're away to tidy it back up again, so it's good for public sites.

It makes a really good pea net or a quick net to bundle up stuff to carry home. Nettles, comfrey, mugwort and the like :)

M

Reactions: Wayland and Bishop

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you want a fixed net, then that basic looks like a triskele knot is used worldwide. It locks, it stays locked, but it uses cordage and once made and knotted that cordage isn't recoverable, not with any ease.
The 'neolithic' knotless net is a useful net that doesn't limit the future use of the cordage.
That said there are dozens of netting knots, and include some that stretch to fasten securely over cargo and like.

Having made literally miles of hand made natural rope, I can attest to just how much work is involved in it. Not something to be used thoughtlessly if made in long lengths.
The best I've ever seen was made by Patrick McGlinchey at Backwoods Survival. Absolutely superb :) His netting is a work of art too.

M

Reactions: JFW

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have a book called "Shaving Horses and Lap Shaves and Other Woodland Vices" by Sean Hellman :)

However, this is the basic sketch I drew up to make my first one using a 150mm (6") ash log split in half. Next time I'll use a wider log :)

View attachment 57787

one tip dont skimp on the amount of splay out on the legs. The legs on the first one I built were too vertical and upright. It kept keeling over to the right or the left, not ideal when you are using a draw knife. And if you are using it on grass or soft ground, temporily nail a board acroos the underneath of the legs, and they wont sink in

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have a book called "Shaving Horses and Lap Shaves and Other Woodland Vices" by Sean Hellman :)

However, this is the basic sketch I drew up to make my first one using a 150mm (6") ash log split in half. Next time I'll use a wider log :)

View attachment 57787

Nice one Broch,
I was actually thinking earlier today I might try and make myself a shave horse from some scraps of plywood I have to keep me busy when I get home.

All the best
Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the thought :) - I had a good copy years ago... but sold it when times were hard (same time I sold my guns and sword collection... I will never see THE|M again).... times look like getting hard again soon...

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Nothing like the quality of other contributors, but I spent an hour in the garden producing a stool - reading that back ...
Anyhoo, I had a break from hacking and slashing in preparation for planting out.

Attachments

• IMG_3621.JPG
    IMG_3621.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 12

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm now off work, so I've time to tackle a few projects that have been on the back burner for a while. I made my first knife in years, the handle is oiled so I'll let that dry for a week or two then play with it a little before I make a sheath (I hate doing leather work, so unless it becomes a user it'll stay naked). I also have a Terava skrama blade that needs handling. I'm thinking of cutting down the tang and doing a leuku style handle.
I also have a few part finished bows from about 10 years ago that I may have a go at finishing.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Making the most of the good weather I've got the front garden nearly tidied up. Just one small corner left to do but that's going to have to wait until my green bin is emptied which is another week away.

I forgot to do some before pics of the bed by the footpath but it was almost as bad as the one by the house. I don't think they've looked this clean and tidy since we moved into the house 15 years ago

Just have to decide what I can put in all the open spaces but that will have to wait until middle of June when I'm allowed back out to play in the big bad world
1f642.png

20200326_105727-01.jpeg
20200326_105729-01 (1).jpeg
20200326_105708-01.jpeg
20200326_105717-01.jpeg
20200327_120057-01.jpeg
20200327_120101-01.jpeg

Reactions: Wayland

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It was fun doing it!
I was taught by Chris Grace of South Wales Bushcrafters many years ago but this is the first net of any size that I have made. At least it justified the keeping of my four hand carved Netting Needles!

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
It was fun doing it!
I was taught by Chris Grace of South Wales Bushcrafters many years ago but this is the first net of any size that I have made. At least it justified the keeping of my four hand carved Netting Needles!
Really nice job. Learning netting is another planned activity to keep cabin fever at bay. Thanks for sharing.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I am inventing things for my Scout troop to do as individuals. We're looking at badges that can be completed at home and we're going to have a camp by each Scout spending the night in the garden in a tent or bivouac then posting to our Facebook page.
I'm posting links to YouTube videos which offer bushcrafty projects - personal favourite is to carve 10 notches in 10 minutes following Mors Kochanski's lead.
If anyone has ideas to add, they'd be gratefully received.
ATB
As also a scout leader we need to get our virtual heads together. I’ll create a thread in the morning to help anyone else (including me) come up with badge ideas.

Reactions: DocG

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
Well - the net is finished ... mainly because I ran out of materials!
About 4 meters long with wooden floats and lead sinkers - and between 800 and 1000 knots!
View attachment 57887View attachment 57888
I have also got a jacket cut out and ready to sew as well as "homework" projects from work...
Guess someone ought to let John go now...oh, wait a minute - 2 meter distance...sorry John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE