Rescheduled - 2011 bcuk Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The 2012 bcuk Arctic Expedition details can be found here

Here we go folks :camping:

INTRODUCTION

The Bushcraft UK, Arctic skills course is a 7 day (fully inclusive) Arctic bushcraft and survival course led by UK guides/instructors. The course is a "no frills" low cost opportunity for members of the Bushcraft UK community to experience top of the range instruction, 400km inside the Arctic Circle.

During the course students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties. Accommodation will be in heated tents and shelters

(sleeping in shelters is optional).

COURSE DETAILS:

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.

Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions.
Minimum numbers: 15

Maximum numbers 18
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)

Date of Expedition: 6th - 12th March 2011

Expedition go/no go date: 15th January 2011 (or before if numbers are there)

Duration: 7-day itinerary. Arriving day one/departing day seven.

Timings and pick-up/drop off:
RV time 11:30hr on the 6th March in Bardufoss airport arrivals hall.

Drop off for travel home 08:00hr on the 12th at BDU airport.
( In time for the 09:20 flight to Osl)

Later pickups can be arranged on the 6th at an additional transfer cost (from the airport to expedition location) for £50.00 per person

Accommodation and catering:
Accommodation: Wood burning stove, heated tents and shelters.

Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Students can either bring rations from the UK or purchase locally. Transport will be provided most evenings at a cost of £2.00 per person/per trip to the local supermarket.

Individuals can cook on either the wood burning stove in their tent, a communal open fire pit in the tented area, or on their own stoves. (Fuel for stoves can be provided at cost)

(It is recommended that as tent groups are established on receipt of bookings Bushcraft Expeditions will notify groups of 5/6 people as they book as to whom they will be sharing their tent with and from there, these individuals can organise tent/group catering)

Expedition Cost and payment details:

Expedition Cost: £520.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)

A Non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking – This deposit will however be refunded in full if the Expedition does not go ahead

Final payments: payable immediately from the 15th January if expedition takes place and by no later than 15th February (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 15th February will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)

All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:

To pay by credit/debit card:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

To pay by Paypal:

Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.

inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)

To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

All payments are by secure means.

On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email,unless otherwise requested differently

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT

Subjects covered:

1. Outfitting for the cold environment.
2. Dressing for the cold environment.
3. Daily routine and considerations for working in the cold environment.
4. Cold injuries their recognition, prevention and medical procedures in the cold environment.
5. Cutting tools in the cold environment, their selection safe use and maintenance.
6. Shelters. (Quincy, Arctic lean to, emergency shelters) snow holes and igloos - (conditions permitting)

7. Fire lighting and fire husbandry in the extreme cold.

8. Improvised Snowshoe construction and snow shoeing techniques. (Demo only)
9. Arctic Tracking and wild life observation.
10. Ice Fishing.
11. Ice crossing procedures.
12. Trapping in the Arctic.
13. Tent/camp routine in the extreme cold.
14. Signalling.
15. Water procurement, carriage and preparation for consumption in the Arctic.
16. Field cookery in the extreme cold.

Included in the price:

1. Full instruction in Arctic Bushcraft and Survival from UK/English speaking Guides.
2. All internal transfers from the meeting point. (Other than late pick-ups)
3. Heated Tentage/accommodation. (Shared)
4. Site fees (private land and National park)
5. Fully trained on site medical cover.
6. Bushcraft UK Arctic Course certificate.

Not included in the cost:

1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire.

Optional/additional activities and equipment hire available on site:

1. Extreme cold clothing hire.
2. Extreme cold footwear hire.
3. Extreme cold sleeping bag + liner hire.
4. Dog sledging.
5. Traditional Sauna facilities (minimum number apply/required).
6. Traditional outdoor hot tub facilities. (minimum number apply/required)

(all above subject to availability on a first come basis)

Kit and Equipment

Clothing you will need to bring:

• Wind/waterproof outer jacket. (ski wear is sufficient for this)
• Wind/waterproof outer trousers or saloppettes. (ski wear is sufficient for this)
• Warm outdoor/work trousers (1 pairs)
• Warm outdoor shirts (1)
• Fleece jacket or large sweater
• Cold weather hat preferably with ear protection
• Cold weather mitts or gloves
• Cold weather boots or walking type boots (large enough to be able to wear two pairs of thick socks with and not be tight /restrictive)
• Thermal underwear (1 set)
• Thick socks, preferably wool (3 pairs minimum)
• spare lightweight wool hat or similar
• Thin pair of work gloves
• Scarf or neck buff
• Towel and swimming costume (for sauna if that is taken as an optional extra)
• Slippers or trainers for indoors/tents
• Handkerchief
• Long belt (Preferably leather)

Equipment you will need to bring:

• Large (70ltr+) rucksack capable of carrying all your equipment
• Sleeping bag (four seasons for use in temperatures down to -15)
• Insulated sleeping mat
• Bivouac (Bivvi) bag
• Head torch and spare batteries
• Mug, knife, fork and spoon and cooker if not cooking over open fire.
• Billy cans (preferable) or mess tins (for cooking over open fires)
• Small pocket knife
• Small steel thermos type flask (optional but highly recommended)
• 10 metres of strong nylon cord
• Note book and pencil
• Wash bag
• Two candles (long life preferably)
• Ski goggles or similar eye protection (sun glasses)

Personal medications/Items:

• Lip salve
• Sun block
• Passport
• European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Cold weather clothing hire costs:

Rental of extreme cold weather boots - £5.00 per day.

Rental of extreme cold weather sleeping bag+Liner - £5.00 per day

Rental of snow suit - £4.00 per day

(All above on a 1st come basis)

The Airport you need to fly into is Bardufoss airport. You can book all the way via
www.norwegian.no or go to most airports in Scandinavia via all the big operators and then connect up to Bardufoss with Norwegian (which is a budget airline).

Travel:

For those confirmed on coming on the BCUK Arctic Expedition it may be worth organising yourselves into travel groups now, that way you will have the ability to group book etc and coordinate things between yourselves. A suggestion would be the following groups (You will have to decide amongst yourselves who is going to instigate/organise these groups)

Group 1: Those flying to Oslo with Ryan on the Saturday, stopping in Oslo overnight and then flying onto Bardufoss on the Sunday (Returning the same route but with no overnight in Oslo) This is the suggested and probably the best travel option.

Group 2: Those doing the above but not stopping in Oslo overnight it might be a good idea if this group organise a charter bus/taxi/minibus to get them from one airport to the other in Oslo as there is only 3 hours between flights and it will give you piece of mind having some one meet/drop you off - this should not be necessary on the return flight as you have 6 hours between flights this is probably the cheapest flight option.

Group 3: Those getting the Norwegian flight up to Tromso and then the bus down to Bardufoss.

If you've got any further questions ask away :D

Last edited:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
For anyone considering this course who has not yet booked, I'd recommend you get it booked before the places are taken.
I had the opportunity to go last February and I'll never be lost for something to break the ice again...

For anyone seeing the recently finished series 71 degrees North, some of it was very familiar :)

Tone - Promise I'll do a walk through of the logistics, what to expect, what we did, what was not needed.....essentials etc from the Feb trip :)

Tom

Woody

Forager
For those enquiring about the expedition content and havent seen Tony's previous thread - the following video's will give you a better idea of the expedition content.

[video=youtube;Vs8YRyrQ1Bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8YRyrQ1Bc[/video]

[video=youtube;sNDQPTcf7-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNDQPTcf7-c&feature=related[/video]

Note:The dog sledding is an additional option and not part of the standard expedition)

Enjoy!!!! ...... Woody

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The airline have changed the flight details since this was organised so the RV time and Departure time have been changed accordingly.

RV time on the 6th is now 11:30 am

Return to Bardufoss airport will now be at 08:00 am on the 12th. In time for the 0920 flight to Oslo.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm not sure how many are signed up at the moment, I've been busy for a little while so I've not talked to BE.

Mate, give in to the temptation, it's going to be a brilliant Exped, drop Becky a line and she'll sort you out.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
So I'm signed up and I believe a few others are! Has anyone looked at travel options? I'm thinking route 1 but may fly to Oslo Friday night. Now to dream up a christmas list of kit.

Woody

Forager
Below is a list of people signed up so far:

1. Tel Boy
2. Cuff 666
3. Dcrimes
4. Bush matt
5. Widu13
6.snijd005
7.Guilty
8.Pom3

One more and we can put you guys into the first tent group to start organising yourself. :)

Widu13, Skiboyswife and guilty - (from previous post/threads).... you need to contact Becky in the office to book your places, although not committed yet, people are reserving places as christmas presents etc for others, so the places may well go.

We need another 11 people to make this a go-er guys

Regards

Woody

Last edited:

Woody

Forager
That was quick!!

Guys, that’s the first tent group established, you have been emailed separately by Becky, but by all means start discussing how you would like to work your catering (Please see main introduction post above) on here for details.

If you have any questions on this please feel free to email the office

Regards

Woody

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
I'm betting at least one! I snore when away skiing but I reckon that's a combination of apres-ski, altitude and cold! Just cold should be allright.

So catering - any special requirements for tent 1 - veggies? I'm easy, going to have a look at last years reviews for thoughts.

Cheers, matt.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You should be able to concoct some great meals between you. We'll get some feedback from those that have done it before, they'll have some insights :bigok:

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Having completed the course earlier this year, you will all enjoy it. Be aware... if you intend spending one or more nights/days in Oslo before the flight to Bardufoss....Norway is very expensive, make sure you have enough funds to enjoy yourself. I spent the night before the connecting flight in a hotel near Oslo airport and my evening meal of a bowl of soup and a small beer cost the Krona equivalent of £15.00 (fifteen). Not putting you off, just make sure you budget accordingly. If you get the chance to do the dog sledding i recommend it, its one of life's memorable things to do.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Having completed the course earlier this year, you will all enjoy it. Be aware... if you intend spending one or more nights/days in Oslo before the flight to Bardufoss....Norway is very expensive, make sure you have enough funds to enjoy yourself. I spent the night before the connecting flight in a hotel near Oslo airport and my evening meal of a bowl of soup and a small beer cost the Krona equivalent of £15.00 (fifteen). Not putting you off, just make sure you budget accordingly. If you get the chance to do the dog sledding i recommend it, its one of life's memorable things to do.

Sharing a lavvu with peds was also something you should try once in your life, but my therapist thinks I should be ok again soon, far too much happiness from our peds about his top notch sleeping gear....not. lol

But peds is right dog sledging in the arctic evening with a million stars overhead is something to behold.

Col

Guilty

Aug 4, 2008
Croydon
Hi Tony, Put me down officially for a place.
Just in case Pom3 put his confirmation in the wrong place (which he thinks he did), reserve one for him too.
Ta Mushty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE