Lost opportunity?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I simply cannot believe this opportunity is being missed.

A Seven Day Course in Northern Norway at one of the most beautiful times of the year for just £520!!!

It makes me wonder why we are all here?

If I offered an antler handled Woodlore knife on here for that price someone would snap it up... What for? It's obviously not going to get used...

If this course does not go ahead this year I would be very surprised to see such a fantastic offer being made by Woody and his team again.

Here is a superb, affordable opportunity to get out there and live the dream for a while. The kit list is not hard to fill and the flights are relatively cheap, so where is everybody?

I just don't understand it...

Here we go folks :camping:

INTRODUCTION

The Bushcraft UK, Arctic skills course is a 7 day (fully inclusive) Arctic bushcraft and survival course led by UK guides/instructors. The course is a "no frills" low cost opportunity for members of the Bushcraft UK community to experience top of the range instruction, 400km inside the Arctic Circle.

During the course students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties. Accommodation will be in heated tents and shelters

(sleeping in shelters is optional).

COURSE DETAILS:

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.

Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions.
Minimum numbers: 15

Maximum numbers 18
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)

Date of Expedition: 4th - 10th March 2012

Expedition go/no go date: 13th January 2012

Duration: 7-day itinerary. Arriving day one/departing day seven.

Timings and pick-up/drop off:
RV time 11:30hr on the 4th March in Bardufoss airport arrivals hall.

Drop off for travel home 08:00hr on the 10th at BDU airport.
( In time for the 09:20 flight to Osl)

Later pickups can be arranged on the 4th at an additional transfer cost (from the airport to expedition location) for £50.00 per person

Accommodation and catering:
Accommodation: Wood burning stove, heated tents and shelters.

Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Students can either bring rations from the UK or purchase locally. Transport will be provided most evenings at a cost of £2.00 per person/per trip to the local supermarket.

Individuals can cook on either the wood burning stove in their tent, a communal open fire pit in the tented area, or on their own stoves. (Fuel for stoves can be provided at cost)

(It is recommended that as tent groups are established on receipt of bookings Bushcraft Expeditions will notify groups of 5/6 people as they book as to whom they will be sharing their tent with and from there, these individuals can organise tent/group catering)

Expedition Cost and payment details:

Expedition Cost: £520.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)

A Non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking – This deposit will however be refunded in full if the Expedition does not go ahead

Final payments: payable immediately from the 13th January if expedition takes place and by no later than 10th February (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 10th February will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)

All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:

To pay by credit/debit card:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

To pay by Paypal:

Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.

inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)

To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

All payments are by secure means.

On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email,unless otherwise requested differently

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT

Subjects covered:

1. Outfitting for the cold environment.
2. Dressing for the cold environment.
3. Daily routine and considerations for working in the cold environment.
4. Cold injuries their recognition, prevention and medical procedures in the cold environment.
5. Cutting tools in the cold environment, their selection safe use and maintenance.
6. Shelters. (Quincy, Arctic lean to, emergency shelters) snow holes and igloos - (conditions permitting)

7. Fire lighting and fire husbandry in the extreme cold.

8. Improvised Snowshoe construction and snow shoeing techniques. (Demo only)
9. Arctic Tracking and wild life observation.
10. Ice Fishing.
11. Ice crossing procedures.
12. Trapping in the Arctic.
13. Tent/camp routine in the extreme cold.
14. Signalling.
15. Water procurement, carriage and preparation for consumption in the Arctic.
16. Field cookery in the extreme cold.

Included in the price:

1. Full instruction in Arctic Bushcraft and Survival from UK/English speaking Guides.
2. All internal transfers from the meeting point. (Other than late pick-ups)
3. Heated Tentage/accommodation. (Shared)
4. Site fees (private land and National park)
5. Fully trained on site medical cover.
6. Bushcraft UK Arctic Course certificate.

Not included in the cost:

1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire.

Optional/additional activities and equipment hire available on site:

1. Extreme cold clothing hire.
2. Extreme cold footwear hire.
3. Extreme cold sleeping bag + liner hire.
4. Dog sledging.
5. Traditional Sauna facilities (minimum number apply/required).
6. Traditional outdoor hot tub facilities. (minimum number apply/required)

(all above subject to availability on a first come basis)

Kit and Equipment

Clothing you will need to bring:

• Wind/waterproof outer jacket. (ski wear is sufficient for this)
• Wind/waterproof outer trousers or saloppettes. (ski wear is sufficient for this)
• Warm outdoor/work trousers (1 pairs)
• Warm outdoor shirts (1)
• Fleece jacket or large sweater
• Cold weather hat preferably with ear protection
• Cold weather mitts or gloves
• Cold weather boots or walking type boots (large enough to be able to wear two pairs of thick socks with and not be tight /restrictive)
• Thermal underwear (1 set)
• Thick socks, preferably wool (3 pairs minimum)
• spare lightweight wool hat or similar
• Thin pair of work gloves
• Scarf or neck buff
• Towel and swimming costume (for sauna if that is taken as an optional extra)
• Slippers or trainers for indoors/tents
• Handkerchief
• Long belt (Preferably leather)

Equipment you will need to bring:

• Large (70ltr+) rucksack capable of carrying all your equipment
• Sleeping bag (four seasons for use in temperatures down to -15)
• Insulated sleeping mat
• Bivouac (Bivvi) bag
• Head torch and spare batteries
• Mug, knife, fork and spoon and cooker if not cooking over open fire.
• Billy cans (preferable) or mess tins (for cooking over open fires)
• Small pocket knife
• Small steel thermos type flask (optional but highly recommended)
• 10 metres of strong nylon cord
• Note book and pencil
• Wash bag
• Two candles (long life preferably)
• Ski goggles or similar eye protection (sun glasses)

Personal medications/Items:

• Lip salve
• Sun block
• Passport
• European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Cold weather clothing hire costs:

Rental of extreme cold weather boots - £5.00 per day.

Rental of extreme cold weather sleeping bag+Liner - £5.00 per day

Rental of snow suit - £4.00 per day

(All above on a 1st come basis)

The Airport you need to fly into is Bardufoss airport. You can book all the way via
http://www.norwegian.no/www.norwegian.no or go to most airports in Scandinavia via all the big operators and then connect up to Bardufoss with Norwegian (which is a budget airline).

Travel:

For those confirmed on coming on the BCUK Arctic Expedition it may be worth organising yourselves into travel groups now, that way you will have the ability to group book etc and coordinate things between yourselves. A suggestion would be the following groups (You will have to decide amongst yourselves who is going to instigate/organise these groups)

Group 1: Those flying to Oslo with Ryan on the Saturday, stopping in Oslo overnight and then flying onto Bardufoss on the Sunday (Returning the same route but with no overnight in Oslo) This is the suggested and probably the best travel option.

Group 2: Those doing the above but not stopping in Oslo overnight it might be a good idea if this group organise a charter bus/taxi/minibus to get them from one airport to the other in Oslo as there is only 3 hours between flights and it will give you piece of mind having some one meet/drop you off - this should not be necessary on the return flight as you have 6 hours between flights this is probably the cheapest flight option.

Group 3: Those getting the Norwegian flight up to Tromso and then the bus down to Bardufoss.

If you've got any further questions ask away :D

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
There are numerous reasons, ranging from not getting these days off from work, to not want to leave the falimy behind over to being too expensive for some, either the trip it self or the preparations for it.
I for one do not have the resources to go there, neither in cash nor in gear.

But I have a sneaking suspicion, that there also might some "not wanting/daring to go out" be involved......

I see an awefull lot of gear- and purchase talk going on and very little actual going out there-talk...... and going out into "the Arctic" scares hordes of people!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If I was sufficiently solvent to pay for that, and to upgrade my kit to the level necessary, I certainly would snap it up.

However my situation remains otherwise.

Good luck to all who are going.

Ogri the trog

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
But I have a sneaking suspicion, that there also might some "not wanting/daring to go out" be involved......

I see an awefull lot of gear- and purchase talk going on and very little actual going out there-talk...... and going out into "the Arctic" scares hordes of people!

What you on about Ron, "SCARED OF THE ARCTIC", I did this course 2 years ago and only went on it for the sunshine as im from Scotland lol.

In all seriousness, for that money alone just to see the northern lights and the scenery, never mind the bushcraft was well worth it..the added hot weather this scotsman got in the arctic was just a bonus.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I would have been on that course too if I'd been able to clear the time from bookings.

The Northern lights are getting stronger at the moment so there should be even more chance of seeing them this year.

If you get the chance, go out with the dogs sledging, a clear dark sky with a thousand stars in the sky with the northern lights dancing on the horizon, worth £520 in anyones money. Our trip was fantastic although there were too many on it, i believe that has been sorted now, so this should be a fantastic chance for a once in a life time trip, everyones been to majorca but to say youve been to the Arctic circle, now thats cool..

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Believe me if I had the cash and knew I could get the time off I'd snap it up.

Just can't afford it this year.

Andy

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I run expeditions as a part of my business. Northern Norway is simply stunning. £520 is incredibly cheap I expect barely covering costs.

If I wasn't busy I would book myself pretty sure I would learn something new.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've got 6 friends who would love to go on this, money is the stumbling block though-even though the price is fantastic. I've been talking it up all year since I signed up for the advanced.

A sign of the times for them, and lots more with them unfortunately.

I don't imagine for one minute thats its peoples lack of desire to do this sort of course thats causing the low numbers.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Wayland, I think you're being a little harsh to be honest.

Yes it's cheap. No, it's not possible for me, and probably many others, to get that time off work.

You draw a comparison with a knife. You can purchase a knife with no other commitment. Doing that course (for me) would involve time off work and makng sure my wife wasnt working away from home that week and hence childcare for two young children. That's a lot more involvement than a similarly priced knife purchase.

That line 'it makes me wonder why we are all here' is uncalled for and pretty insulting IMHO.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Wayland, I think you're being a little harsh to be honest.

Yes it's cheap. No, it's not possible for me, and probably many others, to get that time off work.

You draw a comparison with a knife. You can purchase a knife with no other commitment. Doing that course (for me) would involve time off work and makng sure my wife wasnt working away from home that week and hence childcare for two young children. That's a lot more involvement than a similarly priced knife purchase.

That line 'it makes me wonder why we are all here' is uncalled for and pretty insulting IMHO.

I dont think he was intending to be insulting, i know when i was booked onto the arctic course a few years ago, i was trying to drum up interest to make sure the numbers were there to make the course happen. Im sure hes well aware of different difficulties and situations we are all in, its sometimes too easy to be taken the wrong way when you post on a forum...

Merry Xmas

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Way out of my budget. Sounds wonderful, although to be honest the arctic wouldn't be my habitat of choice. However, I will admit that had I the funds I still might not go on this, possibly for the reasons stated by the OP. As I don't have the funds, it isn't likely I'll ever find out if I would be prepared to go for it or not.

As others have said though, fantastic looking course at a fantastic price.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I am supprised at the tone and dont under stand it comment in the OP .A good price for the course yes £520. Fights, spends it soon becomes £1000 the miniumm number set is obversly need for the training staff to make a living even if its just covering costs. The problem is the current finaicial climate, good luck to the people that can afford it both in cost and time off.
It sounds like a worried call that it might not go ahead which is understandable if you have taken time off and paid a deposit.

Still this is a comment form some one who cannot afford it (don't think the uni grant would cover it) or the time off. I hope it goes ahead for those that have signed up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE