What bit of your kit is a keeper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not sure if this an actual thing that others experience - but I have ( in the house.. ) favourite cutlery ?! - Other cutlery just doesn't feel 'right' - so even if clean cutlery is available I will find , wash , dry my favourite and use that.

Just me?

Reactions: Macaroon

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm not sure if this an actual thing that others experience - but I have ( in the house.. ) favourite cutlery ?! - Other cutlery just doesn't feel 'right' - so even if clean cutlery is available I will find , wash , dry my favourite and use that.

Just me?
I'm a bit like that. I've got a full set of cutlery I've had for over 25 years. It's a nice chunky handled SS set that feels right to use.

The wife did suggest a couple times it might nice to get something new but that heinous suggestion was firmly shut down :lmao:

Reactions: RoxyM and TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Just me?

I'm a bit the same with mugs. I'll wash out my favourite mug for my coffee rather than take any old mug from the cupboard. I'll even take it out of the dishwasher and wash it! Yeh, I know, a bloke taking stuff out of a dishwasher - but, in defence, it is before it's washed :) On a rare day, I may put it back in after my coffee!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
At family gatherings we sit 18 folk - from me down to seven month old granddaughter.
I always use a spork - Christmas, Birthdays and every day but it’s not quite within the OP as, while I would only I use one type in stainless steel, it wouldn’t matter whether it’s an old one or recent purchase.

My wife always uses a setting from the first set we ever owned together - a wedding present. The (grown up) children all choose cutlery that they used as children. In-laws and grandchildren are tolerant and choose. All the cutlery is in one drawer - knives of all sorts, forks of all sorts etc

Wife has a cupboard full of mugs to choose from but there are day mugs and bed time mugs.

I have four mugs but I made them all myself. I don’t take them out with me. I have a couple of KK mugs and a Xylis but they are all replaceable.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
In about 2010 or so I helped a mate set up a rally computer (glorified mileometer, or more accuracy kilometer...err...ometer) in her Landrover for a rally in North Africa.
As I kept breaking the placky sporks but still liked the shape she bought me one of the Titanium Light My Fire sporks as a thankyou (not that I wzs on the tap, it was an enjoyable afternoon just talking and faffing about anyway) and it's lived in my van ever since with occasional usage when I go camping.
Some people can't seem to get on with em but possibly they need instructions for a glorified spoon?
I like it and when I lost it for a while a few months ago I was well cheesed off til I found it again. Obviously I only found it after I bought another but I don't like the newer ones as much, the finish is a bit kind of sandblasted where the older smoother one is much nicer. Plus that was a present off a good friend so has sentimental value.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I think oddly for me it seems to be my Sak, no matter what kit I have had and no matter what changes, I have always had a SAK Camping in my kit.
Also have a Sak as a edc in my pocket but for the kit bag it has always been a constant.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria

Just me?
Nope. Me too.
In my case some vintage Sheffield kfs with those Ivorine handles & 3 prong forks. They just feel nice to eat with.

Reactions: TeeDee
he's honorably retired now (and sleeps beside me at night) and he's a friend to me and not just gear, but my faithful walking stick is on top of the list. he's with me since over 18 years and has seen enough action to write a book... (the double "r" in my user name is no typo, but a reference to him)
#2 would be a canteen i got 38 years ago from my long-dead aunt which i don't use regularly anymore, either but take onto special trips (like Uluru and Fujiyama)
#3 would be my big backpack-- a gift from mylord and master on Kangaroo Island which he posted me to south korea (he sadly lost his battle with cancer in 2019...)
but i'm fond of all my gear and use it as long as i can :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE