What bit of your kit is a keeper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We all know the transient nature of kit that either sticks around for a while before moving on for something different.

But what piece of kit (excluding knives) do you have that is a real keeper that you'll never move on and probably leave to your children?

For me it's got to be my Outwell SS kettle, a nice solid kettle equally at home on a gas stove as well as on a campfire. Sadly they're no longer made and I rarely see one for sale.

The other bit of kit that I'll not be parting with is my Brit Army Nos.12 stove. A solid, reliable stove that will definitely outlast me.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
My frying pan, can't remember the make but it's quite small, black with a folding handle, it's bashed and bent and I've had it for more years than I can remember, been on more trips than I can count as well as providing lunch on many hundreds of fishing trips.
I love my frying pan :)

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve got a Primus Litech frying pan with a folding handle, also years old that I won’t part with. That non stick anodised coating is amazing. I‘ve had a fair bit of kit I thought I’d have for life and it be someone else’s beyond that, but I change my mind on things.

Probably a good thing knives have been excluded to be honest.

Reactions: Robbi

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I’ve got a Primus Litech frying pan with a folding handle, also years old that I won’t part with. That non stick anodised coating is amazing. I‘ve had a fair bit of kit I thought I’d have for life and it be someone else’s beyond that, but I change my mind on things.

Probably a good thing knives have been excluded to be honest.
I've got a Litech frying pan as well, kindly gifted to me by a forum member. I've cooked many a rasher of bacon in it so it's also definitely a keeper for me. :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Mine’s up there in the corner of my post but you all knew that anyway - I’ve banged on about it often enough.

Edit:
The other is my crazy quasi tipi, currently under repair. It’s one space, one skin and practically one ton. It was absolute rubbish when I got it but we’ve evolved and modified together for about 12 years. There is as much of that tipi in me as there is me in the tipi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Hi-Gear 'Hunter' cook set (Saucepan, Frypan & Kettle) it's a little small but versatile and weighs in at only 190 grams. Been with me over twenty years now along with a Regatta 'Landtrekka 35' rucksack.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Berghaus Munro. Had it about 15 years and it’s starting to show its age a bit now. I’ve a Centurio too so I’ll probably donate the Munro to my daughter who has joined the Air Cadets.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Berghaus Munro. Had it about 15 years and it’s starting to show its age a bit now.... I’ll probably donate the Munro to my daughter...
So it's not a keeper then, surely? ;)

Interesting to see the number of frying pans, and cooking utensils in general, being mentioned.
I'm another frying pan owner. Mine was nothing special - £1.49 from Wilko donkey's years ago. Yet I've cooked more meals in that pan than anything else in my life.

Reactions: Ozmundo

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
My limited-run Birdland basha. Got it when starting my training with ExtraSurvival. Birdland tent company made these in limited runs for Extra when this bushcraft thing was in its infancies and went bankrupt later. I just returned from 14 days hammocking and hiking in Sweden and kept thinking about how I love this tarp.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its complicated. I have a lot of thing I love.

My Bulldog billy cans

My Tower kettle. (Unlike most cheapo kettles this one has a folding handle)

My Vango Force 10

Reactions: RoxyM

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
My alcohol stoves - 2 Trangia clones and a titanium Evernew clone - and my Pathfinder skillet. I use them at home a lot, so even if they fall out of use in the outdoors they'll still be used.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
+1 for the crusader mug, excellent bit of kit.

Also my Firebox XL in stainless steel will probably out live me.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm ... The just about only constant thing I have carried when trekking for the last 50 years is a basic Trangia. On day trips some small gas burner.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a Snowpeak titanium fork & spoon set I bought in a sale donkeys years ago which I’d never part with. I never got on with Sporks: I like my proper cutlery for eating and not keen on the feel of wood in my mouth. They are a real luxury on a hike but weigh almost nothing.
I even bought another set at full price for my son to stop him stealing mine!

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Hmmm, this reminds me I have too much stuff.

Cook kit, I have a couple but essentially the same stowed in different places garage, vehicles. I could change some items to titanium versions if weight was a real issue but I quite like a steel pot and Tesco aluminum frying pan.

I have a Kifaru Pointman that is a good winter pack. I just haven't been out enough with is being so warm lately. I am pretty sure it will out last me.

NATO E-tool might get handed down too.

I really like the Kupilka fire steel I got for Christmas, very comfortable grip. I like the cup too, gets used most days for cereal.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Bcb Crusader mug and bottle, pretty hard to break unless you drive over it. Even then it'll probably hold up if the ground is soft!

British army issue bivi bag, built for squaddies, so plenty tough, and huge! Worth the weight penalty unless I'm hiking long distance. Even then I could use it to sledge down scree/heather/snow/mud :lol:

German army mountain pack. I've yet to find a daypack that suits my needs as well as this. Again, pretty hard to break.
There used to be a great video on Varustekela where they load it up with a ridiculous amount of gym free weights and lift it with a forklift!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE