can lannyman come out to play?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kendalphil

Jan 16, 2011
kendal cumbria
Hi Chris,

Contacted you on the 19th August regarding your Brockwell Wood Meet next Saturday the 24th September.
As I am new to bushcraft and my 1st meet could I please ask for some advice,
1. Can 1 of the group please advise regarding starting a camp fire using damp tinder using flint and steel.
2. Making Banock Bread with 12cm zebra billy can on a honey stove.
3. Could one of the group please inspect my DD travel hammock and tarp set up, comments and recommendations welcome.
4. Is it ok to take pictures and camcorder of the meet to show family and grandchildren.
5. I believe greensurfingbear is taking some old files along to practice knife making techniques if he is bringing any old files along would he consider letting me have one.
6. Will be arriving Saturday morning as arranged could you let me know as to what time people will start arriving so that I can be there, first time here so do not wont to get lost!!!!.
7. Read on the group forum suggestions on a group evening meal if it is the case could I have suggestions as to what to bring.
I would also like to offer my help with any chores as and when required at the meet.
Many thanks too Toilet digger and lannyman8 for there help and advice.
Thanks
kendalphil

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
right then Phil,

1. damp tinder and fuel is no problem, we will cover that Sat lunch time ish.
2. making bannock in a billy with honey stove should be easy enough, a few methods to try though.
3. trap setup, that should be easy, lots of the lads have hammocks but im a ground man myself.
4. pictures and video are ok with me just make sure i dont look a flid if im in any..;)
5. cant say about the files as they are not mine, i will however have some steel for a bash though, 2 hammers and make shift anvils.
6. i will try and be at the site for 0900 at the latest, i aim to set up ready to go for 1000, but you know how these things are.
7. as for dinner i would make sure you have stuff for your self, as with me in the past arrangements are made for people to bring things who do not turn up or forget, break down on the way etc etc...i will try and bring some bunnies but again nothing is defo....

hope this helps a bit, its normaly a good meet and people have a good time and i hope learn a little too....

regards.

chris.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
right then Phil,

1. damp tinder and fuel is no problem, we will cover that Sat lunch time ish.
2. making bannock in a billy with honey stove should be easy enough, a few methods to try though.
3. trap setup, that should be easy, lots of the lads have hammocks but im a ground man myself.
4. pictures and video are ok with me just make sure i dont look a flid if im in any..;)
5. cant say about the files as they are not mine, i will however have some steel for a bash though, 2 hammers and make shift anvils.
6. i will try and be at the site for 0900 at the latest, i aim to set up ready to go for 1000, but you know how these things are.
7. as for dinner i would make sure you have stuff for your self, as with me in the past arrangements are made for people to bring things who do not turn up or forget, break down on the way etc etc...i will try and bring some bunnies but again nothing is defo....

hope this helps a bit, its normaly a good meet and people have a good time and i hope learn a little too....

regards.

chris.

we can cook on hot rocks too :lmao::lmao::lmao:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you might get lucky chris and bag some chavs for the earth oven, id use some nice big lead balls for shot, i mean, after all you want a quick humain kill...;)

greensurfingbear

Hi Chris,

Contacted you on the 19th August regarding your Brockwell Wood Meet next Saturday the 24th September.
As I am new to bushcraft and my 1st meet could I please ask for some advice,
1. Can 1 of the group please advise regarding starting a camp fire using damp tinder using flint and steel.
2. Making Banock Bread with 12cm zebra billy can on a honey stove.
3. Could one of the group please inspect my DD travel hammock and tarp set up, comments and recommendations welcome.
4. Is it ok to take pictures and camcorder of the meet to show family and grandchildren.
5. I believe greensurfingbear is taking some old files along to practice knife making techniques if he is bringing any old files along would he consider letting me have one.
6. Will be arriving Saturday morning as arranged could you let me know as to what time people will start arriving so that I can be there, first time here so do not wont to get lost!!!!.
7. Read on the group forum suggestions on a group evening meal if it is the case could I have suggestions as to what to bring.
I would also like to offer my help with any chores as and when required at the meet.
Many thanks too Toilet digger and lannyman8 for there help and advice.
Thanks
kendalphil

Sure you can have one of the files. I have three. Re: the other stuff, I'm sure we'll all pitch in. its gonna be a big learning experience for everyone :) ...... its the first time in a long time I've camped with so many people in my group.....its usually just me solo or with the missus!

The meet isn't a thousand miles from any shops so once we arrive we can take stock of what food people have and think about the evening meal if anything is missing should take long to pick something up.

one suggestion for the bannock, stick all the ingredients in a ziplock bag then all you have to do on site is add water ;)

I'm thinking of getting there friday night.....anyone else arriving friday??

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I wish, im working till 1900 so i wont have time to drive up that night, get all my gear sorted, and seting up in the dark is never that much fun, unless you have a GPMG with 1000 link, smoke, bat sim and flares to keep you entertained for the evening....:)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Right I've been "foraging",

Food first, :) I started at the freezer....

From last season I have two duck breasts & some duck and phesant legs.
All cooled overnight & frozen the day after shooting so will be 12 months frozen maximum for those who worry about such things.

Two turkey wings & some trimmings.
Bought whole bird fresh christmas eve & butchered & froze in portions same day

I've spoken to a "rabbit man" and weather permitting on the Friday evening he will try and sort me out a couple to collect Saturday morning.

Casserole? anyone got a big cast iron lidded stock pot?

Fire and cooking:-

Reflector fire lighter (if it's sunny enough to use) Can bring some T'cut & rags if people want to make their own.
Fire steel.
I've picked half a carrier bag of thistle heads currently drying in the garage
Half a biscuit tin of birch bark, from rotting dead wood currently drying in the oven
Half a biscuit tin of birch feathers, the whispy outer bark bits that hang off.

I'm most of the way through a Nimblewell stove in 1.5mm Aluminium & will try to get one knocked up in 1mm Steel hopefully ready to trial at the weekend too.
Got a few examples of aluminium can stoves, pressurised, open vented, penny stove etc.
A small tin can based wood gassifier
A couple of "cat stoves"
A couple of ones based on oblong tins, hopefully more suitable for use with mess tins.
10 plus empty diet coke tins if anyone fancies a go at making a stove, I could even cut & dilate some bottom sections (if my new dilator tool ever gets finished & works ok) as that is the bit most struggle with if anyones interested let me know & I'll put some time into that.
I'll try and pick up some pieces of flint if I can this weekend, used to be loads where I'm thinking of going but that was 20 plus years ago.

Transport:-

May be able to borrow a friend with a 4WD to shuttle stuff across from the farm to the edge of the woods if required, agai let me know in advance & I'll ask.

Alcohol:-

Not a wine drinker but may be able to sneak 1/4 of a pint of my homemade sloe gin or sloe whisky (what else do you do when people give you a bottle of Teachers YUCK! at christmas???) past her indoors for folk to have a nip of. + my usual beer ration of course.

Whatever any of the above costs I'm quite happy to cover in exchange for a bit of knowledge and a good weekend :)
Particulary help in deciding if I want to become a hammock camper. Just let me know what you'd like me to bring.

Looking forward to it already!

PS Anything else anyone want's me to try and source?, & what is this chain someone refered too, push/motor bike chain for forging?

Cheers Vandeen

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Kendalphil, with regards the bannock, i find it is nightily convenient to mix it all up and bring in a sammich bag or something. Then all you need to do is slap it on one of TD's stone slabs and you're away. If you're lucky it might shoot into your mouth when it's done.

Has anyone found out what this piggy is going to actually cost so we can estimate an amount of cash to bring?

Has anyone seen my shoe?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the chainsaw chain is going to be turned into a damascum forged blade (or adleast try to), all sorts of chain and steel cable can be used to make demascum steel, its just a matter of getting the temps right, and making sure you get as little crud into it as possible...

dont know if we will be able to do it in the woods with the equipment im bringing though, but hey we will find out....:)

Mark, your shoe is under the Sycamore 6th on the right mate....;)

just so you all know, the willow i gathered tother week is all dried out and is ready for bow drill action.....;)

will grab some Sycamore to this weekend to try aswell.....

not many sleeps now...:):):):):):):):):)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
the chainsaw chain is going to be turned into a damascum forged blade (or adleast try to), all sorts of chain and steel cable can be used to make demascum steel, its just a matter of getting the temps right, and making sure you get as little crud into it as possible...

dont know if we will be able to do it in the woods with the equipment im bringing though, but hey we will find out....:)

Ah I see, the motorcycle drive chain I could try and find in the garage somewhere probs wouldn't be so good then, due to the rubber o' rings on the links.

Your portable anvil, would it be a bit of railway line by any chance? it seems to be a popular choice.

If not & you would like some I can try and obtain you a foot or two but it might be a bit short notice for this meet and will depend if it's still there.

not many sleeps now...:):):):):):):):):)

Aye us men, we never grow up do we :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
lol....

no my anvil is an offcut from my "H" beam, its about 2 inch thick, my real anvil must be 80-90 kg with the bits cut off the sides. does the job, the offcuts will make good travel anvils, well better than the sledge hammer i was using....:)

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ah I see, the motorcycle drive chain I could try and find in the garage somewhere probs wouldn't be so good then, due to the rubber o' rings on the links.

Your portable anvil, would it be a bit of railway line by any chance? it seems to be a popular choice.

If not & you would like some I can try and obtain you a foot or two but it might be a bit short notice for this meet and will depend if it's still there.

Aye us men, we never grow up do we :)

Think I've got a motorcycle chain in the garage somewhere. I've got a chain breaker too if someone wants the tedious task of removing all the o-rings and reassembling it.

Hey Guys I've got a little problem and I'm in need of your advice.
SWMBO has informed me she is going out on Sat night (her friends Hen night) I forgot about it.........

We have 3 young kids, 5,3,1

So my question is any idea on how to keep her sweet (Ideally convincing her NOT to go out for her mates Hen night:rolleyes:) and letting me go play caveman (as she calls it) in the woods

Any Ideas are welcomed......:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE