can lannyman come out to play?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
OK guys n girls,

As this is my first jaunt out up to Brockwell, I have to ask a few questions
  1. What's it going to cost?
  2. Who's coming?
  3. Is anyone any good at Sharpening Kukri's, and wouldn't mind showing teaching me?, I just cant seam to manage to do it with my Lansky Deluxe sharpening set.
  4. What is everyone planning on doing? sadly I have to leave at 4pm on Sat awwwww :(
  5. I have the Large Kelly Kettle, would it be appreciated if I brought it?
Hope you can help!!

Nathan

8 magic beans a night or pounds if you have them.
i'm coming (and some other people) and my lass and dogs. be 10ish cos pbee and his lass have had to cancel.
i got a cigar stone i can bring.
blowing rocks up, drinking chris's cherry wine and appalling everyone with my lack of charm, wit and charisma.
if you like. :240:

i may have inadvertantly been of help there :p

kendalphil

Jan 16, 2011
kendal cumbria
Hi

Thanks for the advice will put Bannock mix in a ziplock bag as you have suggested thanks for the offer of a file Saturdays weather is looking promising look forward to seeing you on Saturday.
Regards
Kendalphil

kendalphil

Jan 16, 2011
kendal cumbria
Hi Chris,

Bannock Bread recipe as follows:

2 large handfuls of wholemeal flour
2 large handfuls of plain flour
3 tablespoons of baking powder
1 tablespoon of salt
3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 egg
water

As suggested by Dave Craze re Ronnie Sunshine in Bushcraft magazine page 37 Jan/Feb 11.

Had an attempt last Saturday with my 13 year old grandaughter followed the instructions as per bushcraft magazine the wife said its a bit doughie, but hey you have to start somewhere.

Regards
Kendalphil

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
bannock is real easy to do, no need for fats or egg or that malarkey, unless you intend to use it as am amergency survival food in which case you put loads of stuff in it.

my mix is easy peazy....:)

plain flour x 10 heaped table spoons
baking powder x 2 slightly rounded table spoons

THATS IT!!!!! thats the base mix, to this you can add what you like, oats, dried fruit, sugar or chopped up chariso or just a few pinches of salt.

bung the mix in a polly bag with all the dry ingrediants and tie it up leaving as shorter end as possible (so the bag is as big as possible still) when required chop the tied end of and "VERY SLOWLY" add water untill the mix is right, do it in portion size ammounts so none is wasted..

jobs a fish...;)

Andy, if you bring 2 i will bung you the cash for 1 dude, we will probably only use 1 but id like to bring one home if thats ok...:)

geordienemisis, its fine if you come over for the day but be warned others have been charged for half a days camping £4, thats not my rules but the owner, and at the end of the day its his site, hope this is ok.

Nathan, try a sharpening steel and ceramic rod like you get in the buchers, should work ok mate... its £8 per night and £4 for a day visit... your kelly would be good to see as i have never used or seen one in person... ref who is going IM GOING so it must be the in croud....;)

the events list is (if i can fit it all in..:))

1.different tinders ( 1200 hrs til 1300 hrs and chance to play )

brew break for 30-40 mins

2.demo fire lighting pyramid fire ( 1330 hrs 1400 hrs demo only )

break for 30 mins

3.chemical fire lighting ( 1430 hrs 1500 hrs with a bit of a play )

break for 30 mins

4.bow drill ( 1530 hrs 1630 hrs demo with a play after )

break for 30 mins

5.char cloth with flint and steel ( 1700 hrs 1730 hrs also demo of cooking the cloth )

6.game prep ( if i can get any bunnies ) ( 1730 hrs 1800 hrs )

break for dinner till around 2000 hrs

7.forging in the evening with basic forge and equipment ( 2000 hrs untill late with a little tipple...;) )

lots to do and see but im open to offers and if people want to chip in and do a little demo etc then feel free.... i hope to have every thing set up for 1200 hrs ready to go for the first lesson, nothing set in stone and very informal but would like to get some time set so if people want to take part they can at a set time...

the sunday i will be around untill about 1600 hrs so there will be time to recap of fit things in we might miss out, i also have a hand out for about 12 people...

any questions just ask...

regards to all and see you soon.

chris.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Where abouts are you gonna be located? I'm going to have a group of 20 young people there on the friday night through to saturday lunch time ish and we are staying at site 6 + 7 so I might be able to pop down and say hello before it all kicks off as I'll be setting up friday.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
not sure where site 6 + 7 are can you remind me please...;)

i think Steph said we should go where we went last time down by the brook/stream so we dont interupt each others group..

i think we are around 20 odd also including wives, girl-friends and guests etc etc.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Site 6+7 is up the bank slightly and all the way along the track near the other field. I just read back through some posts and your going to the site where the knocked down building is?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
cant say dude im not getting there till saturday morning around 9am, the first lesson is around 12 so people should be there and set up for ten all being well...

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Ah right cool, I will have time to get down and see some people then. If I get time on the saturday i'll pop down to say hello. Have a good one if I dont see ya : )

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'm hoping to get there on Friday, not too late hopefully work permitting GRrrrrrr.....

GSB & Nathan any idea what time you are planning to arrive?

If you're bringing the dutch oven let me know & I'll get the phesant & duck legs + duck breasts & turkey pieces out of the freezer on Friday morning & pick up some root veg & spuds if you & Nathan fancy a one pot caserole for supper on the Friday eve? Should be enough meat for the three of us & it's not really going to lend itself to being cooked any other way with the legs etc. I've bought a cheap stock pot from ASDA if not, but I'm not sure how it will fair on a fire, the bottoms a bit thin. :-O

Never been to Brockwell site before, I know where the farm is but not sure on pitch location would anyone happen to have co'ordinates or map of inted pitch area? Somewhere like N 54° 57.240 W 001° 44.850 ?
Also those of us staying on the Friday night do we pay for both nights on arrival?

Itenerary looks great Chris, looking forward to it :)

Just seen the time, it's tomorrow were going :-D
Still two sleeps though

Last edited:
@Vandeen Yes Please to the casserole, do you want me to contribute anything?
I have a few Carrots still left in my garden as well as Sage, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme and Orageno if you want them as well
I am meeting GSB at 6.30pm, I'm not to sure about driving time but should be around about an hour or less

I don't have a D/O but I do have a Large Kelly Kettle and I'll Bring that.

Just been on Google Maps the Coords you gave get a bit wet :confused:, should they be nearer N 54° 95.544 W 001° 73.831?
I have never been before so I could be wrong

@Lannyman8 Cheers for the info ;)

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
@Vandeen Yes Please to the casserole, do you want me to contribute anything?
I have a few Carrots still left in my garden as well as Sage, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme and Orageno if you want them as well
I am meeting GSB at 6.30pm, I'm not to sure about driving time but should be around about an hour or less

I don't have a D/O but I do have a Large Kelly Kettle and I'll Bring that.

Just been on Google Maps the Coords you gave get a bit wet :confused:, should they be nearer N 54° 95.544 W 001° 73.831?
I have never been before so I could be wrong

@Lannyman8 Cheers for the info ;)

Hi Nathan, Carrots are good & whatever herbs you fancy.
Travel Travel time should be an hour at the very outside even on a Friday I would have thought
D.O. I see from previous meets GSB does, but like I said I've bought a SS Stock pot just a bit wary about its bottom, maybe try and find a trivett for it as it doesnt have means to be suspended. I can see I'm gonna end up looking like these

http://psyclops.smugmug.com/photos/317381770_Q6tmi-X2.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1525/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1525R-15422.jpg

Co' ords Ah I see you're a bit of decimal kid :), You expres your minutes as a percentage of a degree. LOL
Just as well Chris isn't booking an air strike. :lmao:

To use decimal fully you would drop the N & W and express your co'ords as 54.95544 -01.73831
So North & East are positive numbers & South & West Negative
If you divide the numbers after the degrees by 100 & then multiply by 60 you convert to my old Degrees and minutes as theres only 60 Minutes in a degree.
So the 95.544 from your ref / 100 * 60 = 57.326 & the 73.831 / 100 * 60 = 44.299 which puts you slightly north and east of my co'ordinates.

OK I'll stop now before I bore too many people :240:

Think it must depend on which browser you use, I just cut and pasted it into Google here at work as I'd put it and it took me to the same place as it did at home. Where did it put you?

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
sorry chris once again i cant come cos yes i am off work but have had my services as a scout leader volunteered by my mum to do sum bushcraft demos at a local scout fundrasier that isnt for my usual group so cheers mum but hey ho life is such

drew

@Vandeen love the pics, was that from your last trip...lol

I cant explain it it comes up correctly this time, but when i copied and pasted them in to Google Maps it showed me spot about 20 miles off our coast ....... weird.....
I know very little about Latitude and Longitude Navigation, I'm a former Army lad and Decimal Based Grid refs are my cup of tea,

Suppose we could always place the pot on some flattish rocks next no the fire instead of directly in it if it got too hot.
Or a 'V' Log fire and reduce the amount of coals from under it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE