Billhooks, What Pattern do you use and for what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Hi Folks,

Thought it might be nice to have a thread on billhooks, what people use them for and what pattern they prefer? Because, well, axes are so 2013! :rolleyes:

I recently got a Morris Tenterden which so far has only cut some new bean poles (I've heard it's their right of passage!) so am curious what do you folks use yours for and why?

Cheers

Jon

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a Suffolk pattern that I used to use for hedge laying and coppice work, and a Morris spar hook for splitting rods, I do have others though for spares and lending to trustworthy peoples :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Mines a "Surfurk paatten" too. I used it earlier today to tear down a decrepit pergola that was encrusted with carelessly pruned vines and wild wisteria. It went clean through 1 to 2 inch stems with one pass, only they were at all sorts of odd angles.
I recently did a little carving with it
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117142&highlight=billhook+carve
In a few weeks I will use it for to fetch in some hazel coppice poles....
cheers Jonathan (Suffolk)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I use whichever comes to hand first :D

Mostly though, either use a Fussels Bristol pattern or one of my own Devon(ish) patterns. I tend to use mine for woodland management (mostly snedding and clearing)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My main user billhook is a Morris Newton. I find it comes in very handy out and about on the shoot for all sorts of trimming jobs. It's surprisingly good for clearing flushing breaks in maize cover crops.
I also use an old Nash double edged which belonged to my mother's step mother, which she used to chop her kindling, I often use it for prepping greenwood branches ready to season for burning.
I've made plywood sheaths for both for safe storage and transport.

Dave

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Mine is an Elwell Hertford pattern billhook. I use it for nearly all my slashy/choppy jobs. I am planning on getting it a big brother, a Yorkshire pattern, for when one handed swinging is just not enough :)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A yorkshire billhook.

Hedgelaying, snedding/limbing, coppicing and as a small axe for cutting notches when felling smaller diameter trees.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I've got a Staniforths Severquick (love that name!) and its one of my favourite tools, is massively versatile and also massively cheap - mine was £13 (I think) at an antique shop, just needed a bit of love and attention and now its an awesome tool. I use it for all sorts, mainly carving atm and it performs great for that.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

unruly

Jan 8, 2014
Suthriganaweorc
I have a Morris Llandeilo Bill Hook that I use for hedge laying.

The Llandeilo pattern has a small notch on the rear known as a hedge grip, used by hedge layers to push brash, bundles and bleachers into position without the need to handle them.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
The extended point probally makes it more usable than the majority of hooks (for carving, that is)-including my suffolk one, with their down turned hook points. You could do a certain amount of tight concave work with it.

Last edited:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Bill hook No 4 great for clearing brambles, we have a farmers market the last Sat. of the month lots and lots of bargains to be had, the last good find was a Martindale golock i think i paid about 8 or 9 pounds for it.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I do not own any, but my experience with machete is so good, that now I thinking it time to forge some :D maybe that would be a nice project to share with fellow blacksmiths on this forum.... ?

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Here is what I have, no idea what you would call it, but I use it primarily for kindling. Bought it off the bay last year.

DSC_0349_zps4qhpdpqe.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE