What Food Combo's Do You Eat That Others Think Are Weird

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Having a read of the "What food do you not eat that makes you 'weird'?" thread made me think of what food combinations folks enjoy that others think are weird or downright horrible.

For me personally it's maccaroni cheese with a generous topping of ketchup on top. My wife looks at me in absolute horror whenever I have it which makes it even more delicious :lmao: I also love a bit of Seville Orange marmalade or damson jam on a sausage sarnie. I also prefer Damson jam instead of cranberry sauce with turkey.

So what's your secret food passion that others turn their nose up at?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not weird perhaps but I like to eat things like hot chilli's from jars then immediately a piece of cheese. I got that taste after years of eating an extra hot lime pickle then cheese. I think the hot spice is tempered by the cheese and I kind of like the combined taste.

Seriously, try it once. Got to be hot and the cheese is best being strong too. Like a good, proper cheddar cheese.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Mashed potato sandwich for me.
Admittedly, I don't make mash just for a sarnie, but if we are having mash then I'll do myself a buttered slice as well.
Starchtastic!

As an aside, I'd just like to say that all those who put fruit in a curry (and bombay mix) are just wrong and need to be taken outside and given a jolly good working over. No. Just no.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not weird perhaps but I like to eat things like hot chilli's from jars then immediately a piece of cheese. I got that taste after years of eating an extra hot lime pickle then cheese. I think the hot spice is tempered by the cheese and I kind of like the combined taste.

Seriously, try it once. Got to be hot and the cheese is best being strong too. Like a good, proper cheddar cheese.
Yup chilies with extra mature cheddar is a good combination :)

Have you tried the Habenero and honey red leicester from Aldi's?

Reactions: Paul_B

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Marmite and crunchy peanut butter on toast.
Cheese and strawberry jam sandwich.
Salad cream on rich tea biscuits.
Yummy!
A real treat as kids was orange marmelade and sliced (mild) cheese on bread. Some youth groups were more likely to provide that for the snacks break than others, but it was always a big hit. Not considered weird though as almost everyone liked it.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My camping breakfast sometimes raises an eyebrow -
Fried tinned haggis with laverbread (seaweed) on a wrap or pitta or naan bread.
Serve with piping hot, very strong single bean (java for preference) black, sugar free filter coffee :)
Fusion cooking at its finest :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Cheese with nutella on toast. Apple slices on bread. Fried egg on a burger. Ketchup, mustard and mayo all together - it's like Big Mac sauce. And when I make Arab lentil stew I sometimes put Brussel sprouts in there.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
My camping breakfast sometimes raises an eyebrow -
Fried tinned haggis with laverbread (seaweed) on a wrap or pitta or naan bread.
Serve with piping hot, very strong single bean (java for preference) black, sugar free filter coffee :)
Fusion cooking at its finest :)
Anyone who doesn't like laverbread is either not Welsh or has never tried it. Like the combo though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pilchards in tomato sauce with scrambled eggs on toast…food of the gods… but no one else ever seems to want some…
See if you crushed up a packet of cheese and onion crisps and added it to that lot and made a toast sandwich ? my Bother would happily eat your serving as well as his own !

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Everyone that likes Brussel sprouts is weird :)
They're okay if you shred them up fine and maybe drizzle some balsamic vinegar on them, a wee bit of salt, and just eat like coleslaw.
I love my veggies, but cooked brussell sprouts I'm inclined to just leave for other folks.

M

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
They're okay if you shred them up fine and maybe drizzle some balsamic vinegar on them, a wee bit of salt, and just eat like coleslaw.
I love my veggies, but cooked brussell sprouts I'm inclined to just leave for other folks.

M
…they’re also nice sautéd in a pan with boiled peeled sweet chestnuts

Reactions: John Fenna

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Marmite on toast, no butter
Marmite, peanut butter and sugar on toast
Marmite and green pesto on toast
Curry and pasta

Reactions: crosslandkelly

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As an aside, I'd just like to say that all those who put fruit in a curry (and bombay mix) are just wrong and need to be taken outside and given a jolly good working over. No. Just no.
No tomatoes, peppers or chillies? Actually I like sultanas and apples in curries as well, didn't realise that was weird.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
No tomatoes, peppers or chillies? Actually I like sultanas and apples in curries as well, didn't realise that was weird.

Now, you see, that's the classic example of the difference between knowledge and wisdom.
Knowledge means you know that, technically, a tomato is a fruit.
But wisdom means you should think of it as a vegetable.

No, I don't think fruit in curry is weird. I just think it's damned disgusting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE