Argos Tipi Heads-up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2008
Cambridge
The top vent has its own set of ropes attached, so can easily be pulled in any direction, or off altogether. As for campsites, have a look around. There are plenty of camp sites that allow fires. Avoid large holiday parks and look at the smaller sites.

Just booked 3 pitches at a nice site in Suffolk for a family gathering (which is why i needed an extra tipi) and they allow real fires :D

This is a case where Google is your friend.

Hi again,
So do you use a fire in your soulpad? Or a stove? As you have both tents, which one would you recommend? I know the soulpad tipi is much better quality etc but for summer camping the argos tipi looks to have more ventilation. Is the soulpad dark inside without windows?? questions questions questions!! sorry.

wibble

Feb 6, 2008
Norfolk
Hi again,
So do you use a fire in your soulpad? Or a stove? As you have both tents, which one would you recommend? I know the soulpad tipi is much better quality etc but for summer camping the argos tipi looks to have more ventilation. Is the soulpad dark inside without windows?? questions questions questions!! sorry.

I have a few portable stoves i use for cooking inside, which work fine. Doubt either would be ok with a full fire going in them. Keep it small for cooking and you should be fine.

Personally I'd go with with the Soulpad each time, and its the main tent i use. The canvas makes a world of difference. A much nicer place to be in the summer as the canvas keeps you cool. Its not that dark inside either, especialy if you leave the top vent uncovered.To be honest I've only brought the argos tipi for use as overflow sleeping for a family gathering later this year...and for that im sure it will cope fine.

Another thing to remember is that both of these are single skin tents, so if you use a light in the evening, you will broadcast your every move to the rest of the site. ;)

In an ideal world id stick with my real tipi, but the 17 poles make it a cumbersome beast to transport so only use it for longer breaks. Rest of the time i use the soulpad.

Feb 10, 2008
Cambridge
Ha ha, yes, could be embarrassing! Thanks for all your advice Wibble. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and go for the Soulpad. I'm obsessed now and constantly searching for info on tipis/stoves/campsites!! Its taking over my life. Husband keeps reminding me we have a big frame tent taking up space in the garage...

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
I decided to get the smallest (two person) version at the weekend. I figure, if it's any good I'd buy a bigger version. I've not had chance to have a good look at it yet but I'll post pictures and info here as soon as possible.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I decided to get the smallest (two person) version at the weekend. I figure, if it's any good I'd buy a bigger version. I've not had chance to have a good look at it yet but I'll post pictures and info here as soon as possible.

Tecnik, would love to hear your thoughts on the two man as I'm very tempted by it. Particularly the weight of the canopy. How light do you reckon the canopy is on its own?

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Just a quick initial look at the two person version. As soon as I get a chance to make some space on the lawn I'll put this thing up and leave it up over a rainy night. With regards the weight. If you remove the pegs, pole and ground sheet it would weigh next to nothing and compress down tiny. I'll give that a go at some point and post some results.

(Click images for bigification. :D )

Packed away. Shown with 4" blade knife and A4 booklet for size.

Unpacked. Note how everything has its own little bags. After unpacking I discovered all the weight is in the pegs and pole. The ground sheet weighs very little and the fly is feather light.

A look at the flys colour. It's not as white as it looks on the Argos site (thank god).

Although it says keep away from a fire it also says "Flame Retardant" "Grade 5 BS 6341"

Not sure if this will help because it measured at the seams. Oh well, it gives you some idea.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
After looking at my 2-man Argos tipi, I had an idea (from looking at the Hex3) of passing a length of Purlon through the pole-hole at the top, and perhaps threading a small funnel on the outside to deflect any rain running down the line. A couple of knots, one on the inside of the tent and one just above the funnel should keep things in place. I figure I could use this set-up to pitch it under a tree, throwing the loose end over a branch and securing. What do people think of this, is it feasible/worthwhile?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thanks very much tecnik, great info and the pics are very helpful. I was hoping that most of the weight would be in the pole and pegs.

The only issue now is its waterproofness although I reckon you could solve that by taking a light tarp/poncho and tying it over the top to keep the worst of the rain off.

My problem is I want a Golite Hex/Shangri La but the price is a bit steep. Should I go for the cheaper Argos one or give in to the little green man on my shoulder? I'm leaning towards the Argos one now...

Any advice welcome.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I think it's horses for courses, I don't expect the Argos to last as long as a GoLite would, nor would I expect it to handle much in the way of rough weather. But for the price it's a great buy for occasional, fair-ish weather use.

Edit: want a golite too, but can't really justify the cost right now, also I really don't like the "bamboo" colour of the shangri-la, someone mentioned there was going to be a green one sometime. though.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You would think that Andy, but I have one of the Argos 1-man tents that I paid £5 for and it has seen some truly horrendous winter weather in the Lake District & Scotland and is still going strong.
If these tents are looked after they might just last.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cheers for the reassurance Greg, a good Scots summer should put it through its paces :D

Just remember its limitations and it should be fine!:)
You could always make a wind break to help protect it, thats what I did with the small one and will be doing with my 4-man tipi too!:rolleyes:

wibble

Feb 6, 2008
Norfolk
Apparently the production quality on these can be a bit hit and miss, so make sure you get it up and checked out fairly quick after purchase.

The first one i got had some of the internal loops for the windows and vents sewn in the wrong place, so in one case i couldn't keep a vent open and another side couldn't keep the window cover closed.

Had no problems with argos exchanging it. Just make sure you give the tipi a good going over. As always, you get what you pay for, and in this case you don't pay much.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
The only issue now is its waterproofness although I reckon you could solve that by taking a light tarp/poncho and tying it over the top to keep the worst of the rain off.
I intend to give the fly a good washing in Fabsil and seam sealer before using it. This has been known to turn cheap, leaky "Shower resistant" tents into something you wouldn't mind sitting a downpoor out in.

Keeping a poncho with this tent is an awesome idea just incase the weather take a really bad turn. Good idea. :approve:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Set my Argos small tipi up yesterday at Loch Chon, I didn't overnight in it, just set it up to see what it was like ... it's a generous 2-man size I'd say and reasonably well constructed...

DSC00155.jpg

It's big enough inside that I could easily stretch out with room to spare at head and feet, with a door on either side, it'd be fine for getting out of for night time relief without disturbing a sleeping companion.

ems

Apr 4, 2008
West Sussex
Right to all that have just started to hate me....and those that don't know, as a joke I posted a teepee for sale on ebay, as after researching the tipi in question myself as I'd been told from a friend argos were selling them....( the one above.. the argos 39.99 one), I came upon this site and the other one which had noticed the guy.. paddle forum..and read the conversation about the guy on ebay selling the same tent for £99. Soooo.. I decided it would be funny, (and if you noticed my ebay name dappyems I guess you will have guessed by now that yes, I'm slightly dappy), and unfortunately for me it has just come back at me 500%. I only wanted to **** hte guy off selling them, so I used one of my free credits to put up the auction, and Ive had sooo many questions, and each one, I've told its not for sale, and its actually on argos.. and that the other teepee looks remarkable similar to the argos one too..yet he's sold them, I've not let anyone buy it.. it was a just a joke. My apology is to the guy who's photo's I used to set the auction up. It was very stupid of me, and I am very sorry to have caused such a situation because of my girly sillyness. I have made an apology on the auction , and have removed the said photos. Please accept my apology :(

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
I've just emailed the person on ebay to ask what make it is. I don't expect an answer. I hate that kind of thing. Shame on the **** if it is an Argos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE