Argos axe Heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Do you mean you think the balance point is further up toward the head than on your Cegga?

Yes Robin, that's exactly what I mean - way up towards the shoulder of the handle. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as refined but as I said - it won't, you get what you pay for :dunno: or as you say modify the handle to suit yourself.

As regards sharpening tools I have a couple of dirt cheap mini files to remove any significant amounts of metal and a leather backed board with stropping paste and plenty of patience :) it keeps my Cegga in such a state that it can featherstick matchsticks :D

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The head heavy feel of these axes is what i like about them, they make excellent splitters and really do bite deep when the grinds are sorted, they hold the edge well too.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Bagged myself an Argos axe. V pleased at the price. As for cheap saws, everyone bangs on about the Laplanders. I just bought one v. cheap £10 (new) and TBH it's no better than the £5 ones I already had.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
just picked one up cant argue for the price goodjob

nearly got a full set of cheap but good cutting tools just a cheap saw to get now

ATB

Duncan

Get yourself to aldi mate, they sell a set of 2 folding saws for under a tenner ( fine and medium teeth) and they are pretty good.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Any photos of sorted axes?

I just got one last week, nice balace but has taken me all week just to get the bevels to meet up!

You could probably hammer a nail in with the edge I got on it.

I fanally sharpened it but i need to thin it out more.

I dont think any one should by this unless they have the means to remove ALOT of metal(eg. bench grinder)

Will post a photo tommorow probably

I also found out that it is exactly the same wieght and lenth as the GB wildlife hatchet!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Any photos of sorted axes?

I just got one last week, nice balace but has taken me all week just to get the bevels to meet up!

You could probably hammer a nail in with the edge I got on it.

I fanally sharpened it but i need to thin it out more.

I dont think any one should by this unless they have the means to remove ALOT of metal(eg. bench grinder)

Will post a photo tommorow probably

I also found out that it is exactly the same wieght and lenth as the GB wildlife hatchet!

I reckon everybody should get one at £3, better to have a go on this as opposed to an expensive one! Even if people butcher them they're not out of pocket and will know what not to do on the next one...I was chuffed to get 2 for £5.98!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
i sure i can grind it down have to see if its any good after :D

think mine has a twist in it the edge/ Bit isnt paralell to the handle but the Poll is :rolleyes:

was thinking of taking the top of flat to we will see

seems thin for a splitter but i want a carver ;)

ATB

Duncan

I think these axes make excellent carvers biut I would keep the top bit, that area is really useful to get a good slicing cut and get into concave areas. The GB carving axe is remarkably similar. I tend to gring them with a longer bevel on the left for a right hander this gives more bevel to register on the wood and also means you are holding the axe at a nice angle when hewing. Current GB carvers have gone rather too far I think and come ground almost as a side axe, the early ones were ground just a little asymmetric.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

A bit bigger and heavier than the wildlife actually :)

DSC00252.jpg

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
"A bit bigger and heavier than the wildlife actually"

Looks the same to me and gransfors says its 600g and so is the argos one.
I dont know I dont own a GB.

Also the grain on you argos axe handle looks MUCH better that mine, mine had knots and imperfections (no that it will break though) and was an orangy colour.

ALSO:

Frome the site: "Current selling price valid until 22/01/2010"

12 days left people!!!

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
AND THANKS ALOT FOR THE HEADS UP, i needed a cheap axe while I save up for a gransfors or wait till a carboot one pops up.

This is what BCUK is about!

Also if you take the top flare off the argos axe wont it look pretty much the same as the wildlife?!

Last edited:
"A bit bigger and heavier than the wildlife actually"

Looks the same to me and gransfors says its 600g and so is the argos one.
I dont know I dont own a GB.

Also the grain on you argos axe handle looks MUCH better that mine, mine had knots and imperfections (no that it will break though) and was an orangy colour.

ALSO:

Frome the site: "Current selling price valid until 22/01/2010"

12 days left people!!!

th GB Wildlife has a 1lb head which is 453gms i guess its 600gms all up inc handle

the argos one is marked on the head as 0.6kg (1 1/4lbs) which is the head weight all up on my scales its 895gms

ATB

Duncan

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Just got mine reserved too! Last on in Bradford I think. Sending wifey out to collect it tomorrow.

Might see if there's a suitable grinder in the tech classes at work.

Cheers for heads up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE