Argos Tipi Heads-up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Spooky!! :eek: I was just about to post a thread on this very subject. They also have them in 2 and 4 person variants.

Does anyone know anything about these Tipi's or the manufacturer?

Me too, beaten to it.

R

Runs for cake

I am soooo tempted! Even the missus is half sold.

First person to actually see one in the flesh so to speak please tell us what you think.:D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Argos Tipis, wouldn't mind one for myself, especially the biggest one. Having 5 more tents at home ranging from a Lightwave Trek T1 to a 6 birth frame tent (oh and a tarp from Decathlon £15 ish) i am finding it hard to persuade the wife i actually need a tipi. Pity the groundsheet is not a removable bathtub design as this would really conquer the elements. Might sell a 4 birth dome to accomodate it.

U

unamodo

Well, I have not just ordered the Small (£39) to my already growing list of Tents. I have used the old excuse that it is for my little boy.

Might be a load of rubbish but thought it worth a risk at that price. I have just reserved online and will collect on my way home tonight. Will post a small review later.

It has some tough competition as I already own a few tents:

Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2XT
Marmot Asgard 3P
Marmot Halo 6P
MSR Zoid 1

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Might be a load of rubbish but thought it worth a risk at that price. I have just reserved online and will collect on my way home tonight. Will post a small review later.

That'd be great, I've been trying to make out what material it was made from.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The small one is about the same size as my Golite Hex 3, but a lot cheaper, look forward to reports on quality etc.

I intended to get a Tundra 8 Tipi this year, but with grandchild No.1 due in 12 days those plans are on hold, but I could manage the 12 man (means 4 in total comfort I would think) just about :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It sounds very interesting. I've been looking for a backpacking tipi for a while and while the Golite hex would be ideal its price is a bit steep. I notice the weight is 3.7kilos which is a heavy but if you could detach the groundsheet and maybe use a wooden pole which could double as a trekking pole then the weight could be reduced quite a bit? Would love to hear more details on the tent from someone who has one.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
It sounds very interesting. I've been looking for a backpacking tipi for a while and while the Golite hex would be ideal its price is a bit steep. I notice the weight is 3.7kilos which is a heavy but if you could detach the groundsheet and maybe use a wooden pole which could double as a trekking pole then the weight could be reduced quite a bit? Would love to hear more details on the tent from someone who has one.

You can get the Golite Hex from the US from various companies. Even with a high postage cost, you'll still get it for almost half the price...

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Thanks for the link have been looking at buying a tipi/lavuu today.
I wonder if it would be safe to have a stove in the middle?
Don't like the colour might have to buy some green fabric paint.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'm getting one later (to add to my 5 other tents :rolleyes:) but won't have time to put it up until the weekend. If nobody else posts anything by then I will. It's the 4 man one and going to be used by swmbo and myself for weekends away. If nobody else does anything then I'll do the whole unboxing thing and all (pictures only - no video).

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
The tipi is looking more tempting I googled argos tipi and saw this thread on the song of a paddle forum http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=89346
It doesn't look as white as the argos picture, which is good.

I'm not linked to argos,but I am the God argos. ;)

It was that post from SoTP that tipped us over the edge and helped us decide. I've been figuring out ways of putting a chimney in since I saw it and I don't even have my argos one yet.

If I do figure a good way I'll certainly post that.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
It looks like you have a stove in the middle with the flu going though the vent at the top.
You need an outer liner around the flu as it goes though the nylon with a couple of inches gap between the two so that the nylon doesn't melt.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got a Hex 3, so I'll get the big one in time for the summer season :)

I'm not that worried about a wood stove for now as I just got an Origo Heatpal which should keep the tent warm enough, but I'll be interested in seeing future mods on one of these for a stove and pipe

ganstey

Settler
I'm keeping a watching brief on this one, as its really tempting. I'm looking for something for use down in my wood. Most of the time it'll be just me, but who knows...;) Never having been in a conical tent before I'd be interested in knowing how much useful space there is inside the 4-man version. I already have a 3-man pop-up tent. For people built like me its definitely a 2-man, and not being able to kneel/stand up in it is starting to bug me.

Not sure I can justify the larger version, or have the room for it where I normally pitch.

Looking forward to w review from someone.
G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE