Argos Tipi Heads-up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Just got my one - it's the 4 person medium - so far looks good. Have to say it's got some of the best instructions I've seen on a tent. Didn't know about heatpals and just looked them up. Am I right in thinking that it's like a really big trangia? Any idea where I could get a sensibly priced one in the uk?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just got my one - it's the 4 person medium - so far looks good. Have to say it's got some of the best instructions I've seen on a tent. Didn't know about heatpals and just looked them up. Am I right in thinking that it's like a really big trangia? Any idea where I could get a sensibly priced one in the uk?

The Hex 3 is supposed to be a three person tent, and if you hang the tent instead of using the pole, you would get three in, cozy but OK. With the pole used it sleeps 2 in real comfort. I can't afford the Tundra 8, but will get the bit 12 man Argos job. I think that would sleep four in real comfort, or two in luxury with room for things like folding beds, table, chairs and have room to cook.

The Heat-Pal is great. Its not small, measure about 12" X 8" round. The lid inverts into the heater so you can sit a kettle or pan over the flames of the burner for a brew or a stew, enough room to rest a good size pan. You could use a kettle on top of the lid without inverting it if you are in no rush to boil. Not that cheap to run, a litre of meths will run for 6-8 hours on full output, much longer on lower heat. The fuel combustion is excellent which means no smell of meths.

Weight packed is about 6lb so airmail from the States is about $40 and the stove/heater cost $42, so delivered it cost me about 40 quid English.

Not a replacement for a woodburner and pipe, but ideal for a weekend camp as there is no setup needed, and perfect for sites where no open fires in tents are allowed. Mine will get a lot of use I'm sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/Origo-Heat-Pal-...ryZ36152QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
You can get the Golite Hex from the US from various companies. Even with a high postage cost, you'll still get it for almost half the price...
I have done a search on google but can only find UK companies selling them at around £180. Do you have any links? Thanks

I only managed to pitch the Argos one on Saturday but upon opening the box found the material to be ripped. When I took it back I was told they had sold out..... it seems everyone on here has one so I have decided to bite the bullet and go for a golite.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
The Heat-Pal is great. Its not small, measure about 12" X 8" round. The lid inverts into the heater so you can sit a kettle or pan over the flames of the burner for a brew or a stew, enough room to rest a good size pan. You could use a kettle on top of the lid without inverting it if you are in no rush to boil. Not that cheap to run, a litre of meths will run for 6-8 hours on full output, much longer on lower heat. The fuel combustion is excellent which means no smell of meths.

Thanks for that. The idea is that we'll use the argos tipi or one of our other tents to do some more back to basics camping over the summer so that could be handy.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Anyone had chance to try these out yet, I'm thinking particularly about the smallest one? What is the canvas material? How heavy is it? Worthy cut price substitute for the golite hex d'you think? Any info gratefully received as I'm thinking oif buying but only if it can be modded so it is light enough to carry solo backpacking.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Just cask around the US stores. I haven't even considered getting it from the UK 'cos of the price, not that I don't think it won't be worth it - I just can't afford it!

As Rik says, they're now obsolete, but even if you can find a store who has the Hex 3 outer shelter, you can buy the Shangri-La mozzy net inner which are compatible.

I have done a search on google but can only find UK companies selling them at around £180. Do you have any links? Thanks

I only managed to pitch the Argos one on Saturday but upon opening the box found the material to be ripped. When I took it back I was told they had sold out..... it seems everyone on here has one so I have decided to bite the bullet and go for a golite.

B

bushcraft Snow

i have also seen this teepee it is really massive i dont think i would use it tho because i prefer to sleep under a poncho sure it might be cold but its the fun of it int it

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'm going to have to wait to get mine, although I really love sleeping in a hammock under a tarp, it might be good for the family and if it gets too annoying they can stay there while I find a nice couple of trees, any news on the fire inside aspect of the argossian tipi? A fire would be real handy during those cold autumn evenings :D

wibble

Feb 6, 2008
Norfolk
Just been and brought one of the 12 man big boys!

Gave it a quick going over last night and the quality doesn't look that bad for such a cheap tent. Then again i only got it to use as over flow sleeping to add to my growing collection of tipis (a full 20ft 17 pole canvas monster plus a soulpad tribe 5000).

In answer to to earlier questions about a fire, even in the largest 12 man i wouldn't advise it. Too much heat and smoke from a 'real' fire. Rather what i have used in the past is a small charcoal brazier. I have used charcoal lit and initially burned outside and then brought back in. Not too smoky then. Also works to bring in some nice hot coals from the fire. All helps to heat things up.

All being well I'll get it up this weekend (hopefully....i think it will just about fit) and get some shots of the interior with gear in situ to give you an idea of usable space.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What is the flysheet made of? presumably PU coated nylon? How light is it? Is the centre pole steel? I'm trying to avoid making another hasty and then regretted tent purchase by finding out as much as possible in advance. Thanks...

Just been and brought one of the 12 man big boys!

Gave it a quick going over last night and the quality doesn't look that bad for such a cheap tent. Then again i only got it to use as over flow sleeping to add to my growing collection of tipis (a full 20ft 17 pole canvas monster plus a soulpad tribe 5000).

In answer to to earlier questions about a fire, even in the largest 12 man i wouldn't advise it. Too much heat and smoke from a 'real' fire. Rather what i have used in the past is a small charcoal brazier. I have used charcoal lit and initially burned outside and then brought back in. Not too smoky then. Also works to bring in some nice hot coals from the fire. All helps to heat things up.

All being well I'll get it up this weekend (hopefully....i think it will just about fit) and get some shots of the interior with gear in situ to give you an idea of usable space.

wibble

Feb 6, 2008
Norfolk
What is the flysheet made of? presumably PU coated nylon? How light is it? Is the centre pole steel? I'm trying to avoid making another hasty and then regretted tent purchase by finding out as much as possible in advance. Thanks...

Not sure on the material but i'll check the labeling tonight and let you know. For what its worth the material felt heavier than i expected, but then on a single skin like this thats what it'd hoped for. From the cursory glance i gave it the seams looked pretty well taped too, but ill need a good wet weekend to test them fully.

The centre pole is a 4 section steel affair, so not the lightest of items.

Fully packed the whole tent is about 12 kilos, so light it is not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE