Argos axe Heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
only a quick rub down but its a start

Argos1.jpg

What did you use to get the paint off??

used a spare sharp blade blank on hte work bench to scrape teh varnish of the wood and most of the paint of the head . Used my belt sander but it was easier to do it by hand with wet n dry in the end to get the rest off

gotta be carfull as bar the edge the head is quite soft so you can put fairly deep scratches in it with 60gt wet n dry :eek:

handle has come up very nicly now scraped and oiled

Robin the larger bevel is it a flat bevel liek a scandi to plane on or is it convex ??

ATB

Duncan

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
u

Robin the larger bevel is it a flat bevel liek a scandi to plane on or is it convex ??

ATB

Duncan

It depends how you like the feel of your axe. I tend to go completely flat like a zero ground scandi. This is best for carving flat planes and convex areas and gives great feedback as you are rubbing the bevel all the way controlling the depth of cut. A mate of mine who spent 2 years in Japan hewing with temple builders puts a very slight convex on his hewing axe and hews with a style called "bump cutting" (Vikings used the same technique) the axe cuts a series of concave scallops. An axe will work well enough either way but it will take time getting used to using it whatever edge profile you put on.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
I also scraped mine down using my knife at 90 degreed to the wood, very nice results and the hickory really smells nice!

FGYT I like the way you have taken the paint off, its starting to look like a cegga!

and the photos as promised:

Still needs more work notice the GENUINE HICKORY words still showing.

almost a scandi

Grain alignment 99% handle alignment 75%

Last edited:

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
got my axe yesterday, as already stated it is not very sharp. i've never sharpened an axe b4 but would like to attempt it myself so getting one at £3 was superb. just looking to establish what i need & where to get it? a brief step by step guide would be great. i'll hopefully get a wee night out soon & would like to get the required tools for the job so i could have a go at sharpening.

thanks in advance

gaz!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm useless at taking pictures but here's one of the two I got. I'm not finished with the bevels yet but I've roughed out a kuksa out of bullet proof oak that's been in my shed for nearly 3 years. Sorry for the bad pics but you get the idea...proof that polishing a turd can be quite satisfying!

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

My favorite bit was making the pioneer button out of leather, I've never done that before. Simples but effective! I etched it to personalise it but as mentioned I'm useless with a camera. I sanded the paint off and sanded the handle then gave it a blast of boiled lindseed oil. £3 well spent! Thanks for the heads up!!!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
got my axe yesterday, as already stated it is not very sharp. i've never sharpened an axe b4 but would like to attempt it myself so getting one at £3 was superb. just looking to establish what i need & where to get it? a brief step by step guide would be great. i'll hopefully get a wee night out soon & would like to get the required tools for the job so i could have a go at sharpening.

thanks in advance

gaz!

you could do worse than follow Reds tutorial on axe sharpening ;)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice Job Sas - how did you do the engraving? nice touch!

Thanks. It's real easy, I put nail varnish on it, scratched out what I wanted to etch and hooked up a big lantern battery. Clip the positive to the metal and the negative to cotton wool soaked in salt water. Rub the cotton wool over the scratched surface and voila! Shame I couldn't get a decent pic, looks better in the flesh...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks. It's real easy, I put nail varnish on it, scratched out what I wanted to etch and hooked up a big lantern battery. Clip the positive to the metal and the negative to cotton wool soaked in salt water. Rub the cotton wool over the scratched surface and voila! Shame I couldn't get a decent pic, looks better in the flesh...

That's so simple but so effective Chad. You've done a grand job on that axe. I'll look forward to seeing it at RC this weekend :)

Chatteris

Jan 5, 2010
Peterborough
looked today and couldn't get this home delivered or from any stores around me, so had a look around other stores and found homebase are doing the same deal so if anyone didn't get it from argos then get down to homebase.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's so simple but so effective Chad. You've done a grand job on that axe. I'll look forward to seeing it at RC this weekend :)

Thanks Steve, I'll bring it along. See you at the meet, not long now! I hope the snow stays and we're getting more here today, fingers crossed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE