Woodlore Owners...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

As a Woodlore owner/future owner, which one applies to you?

• Own a Woody & use it

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Own a Woody and keep it as a collectable

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Own more than one Woody..Use em all

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Own more than one Woody..but keep one as a collectable

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Own a few Woodies, keep more than one as a collectable

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Plan on owning one to use

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Plan on owning one as a collectable

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
THIS POLL HAS LONG BEEN COMPLETED PLEASE STOP VOTING AS IT BUMPS A LONG DEAD THREAD

Going off another post on BB, I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of collector/user has a Woodlore knife, and what they do with them. I only have three now, my antler handled Instructors, AW Woodlore and 25th Anniversary. I have used the Instructors but don't anymore, the 25th is definately a drawer queen, while the AW has and does get used.

That vote is anonymous. I just want to find the difference between people here and on BB concerning what they do with their knives. If you visit both sites, please vote on each... Thankyou.

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I am option z - Have held a woodlore and don't ever intend to own, use or if i can help it look at a woodlore again-EVER! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am option z - Have held a woodlore and don't ever intend to own, use or if i can help it look at a woodlore again-EVER! :)

I know what you mean - even if the last part is a little overstated. Not to my taste shape or handle size. IMHO there are better knives out there though I can also understand that it may suit others.Never did get the idea of draw queens though...... a knife designed to be a tool should be used as a tool :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Never did get the idea of draw queens though...... a knife designed to be a tool should be used as a tool :)

I can, some of us have a collecting bug and love the idea of pristine things. I do it with vintage Rolexes and don't like wearing them. I'm expecting to get different answers between here and BB, as I would imagine there are far more collectors on BB. Most folks here I would assume, would use their Woodlore.

wilt

Dec 4, 2004
Ohio, USA
Thank you for the tread Jonathan,

I own five (5) Woodlore knives. I purchased three of them from RM Bushcraft, one from a BB member, and one from a BCUK member. The three purchased from RM Bushcraft include two made by Alan Wood and one by SWC. The other two Woodlores purchased from BB and BCUK members were made by Alan Wood. My user is the second AW Woodlore I purchased from RM Bushcraft and the others dominate the drawers for now.

As a note of praise - the two purchases I made from BB/BCUK members was done in a very professional and timely manner and I was well pleased. Well done gentleman!

Sincerely,
Mark

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
i wouldnt even consider having one about me !

a 4mm thick blade is just nonsense for most applications,in fact i cant think of ANY application where a 3mm wouldnt be better....apart from splitting wood,and its marginally better for that.

its like the emperors new clothes actually, when your paying a couple of hundred quid for a knife youd be the last to admit it was crap,youd actually buy more to try justifying the FIRST mistake!

from a practical point of view i personally dont see the point and it smacks to me of hero worship rather than usefull application.

still.....just my opinion of course and everyone has the right to own as many crowbars as they like i spose.

as for the vintage rolexes mate,that just made me laugh.how many people can afford ONE rolex ??? hmmm?

is it a knife poll or a competition to see who can afford what?

id love to know what you actually use your woody for? a paperweight perhaps to stop all those fifty pound notes from flying about?

:lmao:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It was just a simple question, not a debate...

i wouldnt even consider having one about me !

a 4mm thick blade is just nonsense for most applications,in fact i cant think of ANY application where a 3mm wouldnt be better....apart from splitting wood,and its marginally better for that.

Many people would disagree on that, it helps choking up on the blade amongst many other things

its like the emperors new clothes actually, when your paying a couple of hundred quid for a knife youd be the last to admit it was crap,youd actually buy more to try justifying the FIRST mistake!

Thats just daft, it's probably the most popular shape for bushcrafting, that's why the plethora of clones exist. I'm sure many people buy them because of the RM association, and some buy as a collectors item hence the poll to find out. But many more find it a good design, including RM, and I hear he knows some stuff. There's no need to berate people that buy them for whatever reason they do so.

from a practical point of view i personally dont see the point and it smacks to me of hero worship rather than usefull application.

You may be right for some people, but it's a broad brush your painting with. Again Ray seems to know a few things about this stuff, so many people trust his judgement. Whether it works out and they sell it on is another thing, but you can't say it has no useful application.. it's a knife.

still.....just my opinion of course and everyone has the right to own as many crowbars as they like i spose.

Quite

as for the vintage rolexes mate,that just made me laugh.how many people can afford ONE rolex ??? hmmm?

Millions, it is the worlds best selling watch house.

is it a knife poll or a competition to see who can afford what?

That's rude and narrowminded. It's a knife poll, if you have a problem with people being able to buy expensive items, please keep that to yourself.

id love to know what you actually use your woody for? a paperweight perhaps to stop all those fifty pound notes from flying about?

:lmao:

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

oscari

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 28, 2010
outdoors
Well i've been through a lot of high quality well known knives in my time ,all were bought to be users.I don't like the woodlore specifically because of the handle shape.
I like the blade and the whole overall shape and style ,but not the handle.I could have changed the handle but that would destroy what the knife was.So I traded it in for something else.
So would I buy another?It depends on me handling one first,if I don't like the handle then no.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well i've been through a lot of high quality well known knives in my time ,all were bought to be users.I don't like the woodlore specifically because of the handle shape.
I like the blade and the whole overall shape and style ,but not the handle.I could have changed the handle but that would destroy what the knife was.So I traded it in for something else.
So would I buy another?It depends on me handling one first,if I don't like the handle then no.

I have the same problem with the SWC, JP and Wilky Woodlores. The handle was far too thin for me compared to my SM knives. Moved them on soon after.

DSC05114.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I reckon they are beautiful knives and, whilst I would like to be in the 'Plan to own one and use it' category, I can't afford one.

Plumped for SBT instead, which is very much designed to do the same things but a little more affordable for me.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
There are very many superbly made knives suitable for bushcraft. Many of the best made by members of this forum. The Woodlore knife is just one of the many and , IMHO, deserves no more or less attention than any other. It's designer just happens to be a little more famous than some others. That does not make it a better knife!:)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There are very many superbly made knives suitable for bushcraft. Many of the best made by members of this forum. The Woodlore knife is just one of the many and , IMHO, deserves no more or less attention than any other. It's designer just happens to be a little more famous than some others. That does not make it a better knife!:)

Agreed, I don't think anyone has ever said it was. I really want to avoid the debate of the knife itself, many threads are out there about that. I want to find out where they are all going and what people are doing with them. You'd think after the Ebay profit market was stopped, that they would become more available and have less interest for people. But it seems not. They still command high prices, the SWC version lasts ten minutes when it is listed, and they are still fetching £450 easily when listed on here and BB, used and unused.

The reason I'm looking for this information is for an article I'm writing about the subject.

Thanks for all those that have voted and contributed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE