Copied conversation thread - Ray Mears 25th Anniversary Woodlore Knife #100

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
That's a fair price then. I hope you didn't take any opinions too personally. Had it been any other collectable that you had invested in, you would probably have had a different response. I think most people were voicing their thoughts about the loonacy of R. Mears allowing his brand of knives to become so elite and far removed from the grounded tools he proclaims to value.
Sorry I miss understood, I thought the owner had posted (I've got £500 for it) not madi. My mistake. Once again no reading glasses to blame.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
'Allowing?' How can he change, and why would he care what prices the knives are fetching on the secondhand collectors market? He has no control over that.

That's so easy for Ray to take control. He can make more of them. He can flood the market if he needs to. He can ensure that even a 25th edition will always be available for a limited price. He can deter speculative investors from jumping on the band wagon. I bet over 30% of those 25th celebration knives were bought on the understanding that ALL previous RM knives have jumped up in value due to demand. Very few of these knives will be found in the hands of a person sat around a wood fire or even in the environment they were designed for. Don't be so Nieve as to think these now established, well off ltd companies can't keep control of their products and markets. He could put that very same production run on tomorrow, the follower month, the following year. You watch the prices fall then. As for why should he? Well Ray does not see any of the inflated prices on the open market. Ray looses customers and loyalty of his products with every silly jump in value of these after market sales.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
People wouldn't buy a limited edition if they made thousands. And I doubt Julius Petterson would want to make them either. That's the whole point of limited editions. It would hardly be a 25th anniversary edition either if he made them for ten years. The same pattern bushcraft knife is available readily at all times on his website. Non limited.

Seriously why would Ray want to flood the market with limited editions just so they don't sell for inflated prices on the second hand market? That's just dumb from a business and a customers perspective and defeats the purpose of releasing a limited edition in the first place. Ray doesn't benefit financially from the secondhand market. Only the collector does. And that's a good thing. Makes them an investment. Used or mint.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I would love to know what percentage of AW Woodlore knives feel the keen blow from a birch log when splitting kindling and those that only see daylight when the drawer is opened.

K

LewesLee

Feb 7, 2016
Lewes, East Sussex
Would the majority of these post's not better in the edged tools forum rather than on a members for sale add ?

Ha, I was beginning to think the same! :) It's interesting of course reading people's views on this subject - Ray's knives have always been a guaranteed talking point, for better or worse - but the subject remains that I have one of these limited knives for sale still! If anyone is put off by my new member status, I also have an eBay account if that helps to lessen people's concerns about the authenticity of this knife sale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/leweslee84

Interested parties, please feel free to PM me.

Lee

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wonder if anybody could remind me of who it was that said "There's no bore like the knife bore"...............Ring any bells, folks?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good luck with the sale and congratulations on having invested so wisely.

I hadn't realised this site was so tolerant of heckling in the For Sale threads but at least it's not as bad as BB and the SD!

Cheers

K

There hasn't been a comment in a sales thread on BB for years. The OP can bump once a week. Creates an even playing field for everyone, and cuts out excessive bumping whether by the poster or people posting comment.

Best of luck with the sale, not my sort of knife at all, but I know they have their following.

Griffo32

Apr 6, 2010
Southampton
I have been watching this thread since the original post. Firstly, what a great knife that I would love to own.

I do find it somewhat frustrating how a sales thread can quickly turn into a discussion thread where the sellers valuation becomes the focus and is questioned.

I have had issues like this myself 3 or 4 years ago when selling a Bayley knife. At the time people questioned the asking price and ruined a sales thread, since then, I have sold several Bayley Knives for far more without question. In recent weeks I have paid'way over the odds' for a Alan Wood Woodlore' Why? Because I have wanted one for a long time as part of my collection ( I also intend to use the knife although I don't see this as a determining factor for me with regards to price etc)

We all know alternatives are available at a fraction of the cost. My point would be that if to are individuals are not interested in buying the knife that is fine. I feel it is a little unfair to disrupt a sales thread by turning it into a debate. Surely a new thread could be created where the cost / value for money of collectable / hard to come by knives could be discussed without potentially compromising someone's sales thread?

I for one would love to own this knife and wish the seller all the best in the sale. I wish I was in a position to buy it!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I have been watching this thread since the original post. Firstly, what a great knife that I would love to own.

I do find it somewhat frustrating how a sales thread can quickly turn into a discussion thread where the sellers valuation becomes the focus and is questioned.

I have had issues like this myself 3 or 4 years ago when selling a Bayley knife. At the time people questioned the asking price and ruined a sales thread, since then, I have sold several Bayley Knives for far more without question. In recent weeks I have paid'way over the odds' for a Alan Wood Woodlore' Why? Because I have wanted one for a long time as part of my collection ( I also intend to use the knife although I don't see this as a determining factor for me with regards to price etc)

We all know alternatives are available at a fraction of the cost. My point would be that if to are individuals are not interested in buying the knife that is fine. I feel it is a little unfair to disrupt a sales thread by turning it into a debate. Surely a new thread could be created where the cost / value for money of collectable / hard to come by knives could be discussed without potentially compromising someone's sales thread?

I for one would love to own this knife and wish the seller all the best in the sale. I wish I was in a position to buy it!

I agree with every word you said! That is one of the reason BB stopped replies on sales threads as Nice65 said. Its a sales thread not an open invitation for debating the details that some people don't like. Surely a knife is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. What might be a grail knife to me, that I've searched for, for a long time and am prepared to pay top dollar for will almost certainly be overpriced junk to others.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
But with perhaps one exception the posts haven't been unsupporting of the Op's desire to sell the knife for a good profit.

I think in this case the mystique and status of the Woodlore knife will cut through any perceived negativity.

I hope the knife is sold soon. In fact I'm certain it will be.

K

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
But with perhaps one exception the posts haven't been unsupporting of the Op's desire to sell the knife for a good profit.

I think in this case the mystic and status of the Woodlore knife will cut through any perceived negativity.

I hope the knife is sold soon. In fact I'm certain it will be.

Well perhaps now the discussion has more or less concluded it can be left at that so the OP can have his sales thread back instead of a discussion

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I agree and I thought the same yesterday and then contributed!! My apologies, I've copied the thread into here so that anyone that wishes to carry on talking about the knife can do so without it clogging up a sales thread!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE