Woodlore Owners...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

As a Woodlore owner/future owner, which one applies to you?

• Own a Woody & use it

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Own a Woody and keep it as a collectable

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Own more than one Woody..Use em all

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Own more than one Woody..but keep one as a collectable

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Own a few Woodies, keep more than one as a collectable

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Plan on owning one to use

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Plan on owning one as a collectable

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Don't own a Woodlore but do use an AW Bushcrafter or whatever it should be called.

The only time I would rather 3mm or less is when gutting deer c/o the two fingers within stomach method as guiding the back of knife is uncomfortable. In fact this is the only aspect of carcass prep that its absolute pants at.

However, If you were in the backwoods and without a saw the 4mm would be a better choice for battening through rib cage and building shelter. Without a knife drawer of course!

Cheers

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I know it's not cool to like anything to do with Ray Mears, and that we all were experienced bushcrafters even before Ray was born, but I like the knife and have a SWC on order. I'll settle for being uncool, nerdy, hero worshiping and whatever else.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
And your problem is?

dsc02688s.jpg

Oh and my other Woody is in my kit ready for the next meet :pokenest: :lmao:

That's a lot of catfood there Martin!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I know it's not cool to like anything to do with Ray Mears, and that we all were experienced bushcrafters even before Ray was born, but I like the knife and have a SWC on order. I'll settle for being uncool, nerdy, hero worshiping and whatever else.

New batch due in the next three-four weeks. Looks like SWC is supplying them monthly.

cool or not is not relevant if your going to use it

If it fits your hand and you like using it ..its the knife for you simples

im just glad for me i made one first so i didnt pay out even £100 for a clone that i wouldnt get on with. Plenty of people do and like using them its all personnel.

i guess with a AW or a SWC now at least if ypou dont like it you an easily sell on and probably not lose any money with the immortal line

" I just want back what i payed for it :rolleyes::D "

ATB

Duncan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm guessing that ones not going to be a user. You need to get one of the DC3/Firesteel sheaths from Woodlore now to complete the collection. Just the JP to get.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
My SWC order is not through Woodlore. I've ordered the standard bushcraft shape, red liners, 4mm steel and birdseye maple. Should be nice. Hopefully not too much more of a wait, since the suspense is building.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've gotten into trouble before over the woodlore discussion,so I'm going to be very careful here.
I have owned a woodlore,the wilkinson sword version, but found the handle to be a bit too thin for me,also I wasn't impressed with the lack of liners.I realise they don't actually add anything to knife but do look nice.Overall I think the blade shape and size is ideal for me,but would like to see them a lot cheaper and with the handle a bit thicker.
Would I buy another?When they make thicker handles,yes.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've got a micarta Wilkinson Sword Woodlore, which I've used, and a AW Woodlore that I haven't. Bought them both direct from Woodlore. The WS is very nicely made and I think the original £90 delivered price was very fair.

Wilkinson closed their Sword Factory at Acton and it's unsurprising that their products have become collector's items. The AW models have always been in a situation when demand exceeds supply - Woodlore say the waiting list is over ten years, but maybe some of this is down to speculators in the woodlore knife futures market...

When I'm outdoors I don't carry either - I use a £35 Grohmann Boat knife; have done for years and see very little reason to change. I find the Woodlores are too heavy when backpacking, and are unwanted negative buoyancy when canoeing.

I admit the Woodlore is a better woodcarving tool, but the Grohmann is hugely lighter, has a more secure sheath, better grip when wet, is better for gralloching and food prep, replacement value is under 10% of the Woodlore, and the Rosewood handle seems unlikely to warp, as has happened with Birds Eye maple on some Woodlores.

I keep the Woodlores as heirlooms for my boys. I am eagerly looking forward to watching Antiques Roadshow 2050 (from my nursing home bed) so I can see my kids being advised to insure a chunk of steel and wood for ten thousand euros.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've gotten into trouble before over the woodlore discussion,so I'm going to be very careful here.
I have owned a woodlore,the wilkinson sword version, but found the handle to be a bit too thin for me,also I wasn't impressed with the lack of liners.I realise they don't actually add anything to knife but do look nice.Overall I think the blade shape and size is ideal for me,but would like to see them a lot cheaper and with the handle a bit thicker.
Would I buy another?When they make thicker handles,yes.

I agree with you, the handles are too thin for me too. The AW version is better as they are much thicker, especially his latest ones. They would look much better with liners too. Rays own version has them. I doubt we'll see them cheaper as long as they are to be handmade. They should do a factory version again, ten years is a long wait for an AW knife with a different stamp on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE