Why do people have to take the Pi** all the time?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Just tell them their partners have really enjoyed your bushcraft skills! As most have pointed out, it's usually a case of people just having a laugh, but if you show signs of anger or weakness they'll focus on it. I'm sure they mean no harm though. If they really are ripping into you for it I'll bet deep down inside they're jealous because they know they wouldn't stand a chance of going out in the woods for a weekend and having a good time of it...

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Its only how you think of it and how it affects you.
If you are genuine to yourself and find your activities rewarding then why bother what others think
My wife pointed out that, with our combined skills and knowledge, we'd not go hungry or without clothes and shelter in the wilds.
My work mates stop teasing about Xmas time when cheap Venison suddenly becomes better value than over priced dry old turkey for dinner. Thats my pay back time.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My football fan mates dont mind if you laugh at them.

(better laugh at my cousin who lives in the garage (Mummy and daddy wont let him smoke in the house) and watches TV all the time.)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Horses for courses I suppose. I thrive on having the mickey taken because it means I can fire some back in their direction, it's a harmless way of letting off steam.

"Your mum" is usually the answer to most things.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
I got the same after going on a ‘bear grylls’ course – bcuk first aid course in reality. Generally you just got to take it on the chin, especially if you are someone who gives it out when the opportunity arises.

If it gets to the stage of dragging you down its time to say you’ve had enough. Doesn’t want to be aggressive but needs to be a firm ‘why don’t you all … that was yesterdays fun’. After all if you don’t tell people that they’ve reached your limit how can you expect them to know?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i used to work with some right morons and just didn't share anything outside work with them. sure they still kept taking the **** but at leest it was only about work stuff so didn't bother me.

pete

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
People take the Mickey out of others, either for tribal reasons, so often embodied by Mr Bush, the “your either for us or against us” So if you don’t like football, you are not one of the tribe, therefore an outsider, stranger and something to be feared as not “understandable” or they take the Mickey out of you because you make them feel inadequate.
Banter is often an excuse to bully intimidate or harass a person into conforming with ‘their’ own stereotype, you’re not ‘manly’ unless you can handle your drink, or driver a big car or have random amounts of sexual experiences with strangers. Again it is down to insecurities about one’s self, to stand outside the crowd is to expose yourself to scrutiny, and rarely do the people who take the Mickey, want to expose their own personal weaknesses.
Alpha males on the other hand are normally leading so are out at the front, exposing their bold front to the enemy and their ‘weakness’ to their friends.
Be proud to be an alpha ,male and not some “C list’er ”

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I am very easy to wind up mate - and it seems I attract people who enjoy doing just that. - my GF especially.

it is the reaction they enjoy. as said it is entertaining to them.

if they didn't take the mick out of your hobby it would just be something else.

just ignore it or have a quiet work and explain the error or their ways ;)

Andy

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I did a Ray mears fundimental course and got the **** taken out of me endlessly by a couple of tossers because i wore a 5.11 tactical shirt with my BCUK badge. They were mostly showing off because the instructer was a girlie - and cute too - 'Nettie if you know her.
At one point I had enough and started to take the p1ss out of them in turn for the fact that they spent o lot of cash on a course that they wasnt really interested in and they backed off a bit.
Everybody thought they were tossers anyway but it does make you wonder

Cheers

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Made me chuckle!

Stamp, you didn't say if it malicious or in good humor? Happy Birthday by the way.

I don't think its malicious, someone asked me how i got on in the morning who was genuinely interested and others started making fun.
Thanks for all the advice I will try to take it onboard, I think in the future I will be more selective about who I speak to and who is around.
I have had a good day so far, went for a walk with the dog and family. We collected a bag of wall nuts and 10 camamile flowers to make a drink when we got back. I got some crag hopper trousers and some go-outdoors vouchers.

Thanks again guys I feel much better knowing its not just me, I guess they are the ones that are loosing out on the great outdoors.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Think everything has been covered here, but what I will say is laugh with them when they are taking the p***, smile to yourself and be happy in the knowledge that you will know a hell of a lot more than they ever will about your chosen hobby/interest and while they are glued to some retarded TV program every day and night, you are 'learning' new skills and becoming a better person for it.

Once you have the skills you require and are confident in the bush, why not try and get one of the Box watchers to come with you for a weekend and see who's laughing then.

There are 15,000+ members here that won't laugh at you.

People are Ignorant, especially when in groups, they fear the unknown. Be the Wolf not the cattle and don't let it get you down mate, don't waste the energy trying to understand it, lifes too short .

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
you’re not ‘manly’ unless you can handle your drink, or driver a big car or have random amounts of sexual experiences with strangers.

In my experience its those who get mocked the most.

And they dont mind at all

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I like to expose my self to my firends, but it might not help to reduce the amount banter!

Hahahahahaaaa.

I like a good laugh and see the funny side of most things. I'm known to take the mickey, but dislike those who do so in a cruel way, most laughs (the best one's) are at my own expense to be honest.

A thick skin takes time to develop, usually as you get older, and your feelings will be hurt many times before that.

I was called speccy, four eyes and Joe90 so many times over the years - due to wearing NHS gregory pecks - that it eventually stopped bothering me.

Despite this, I was voted best looking man in NATO three years running.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE