Why do people have to take the Pi** all the time?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Why is that people who have an interest that is a something other than drinking beer and watching football?

I went on Natures craft's Hunter Gatherer course at the weekend, I had an excellent time even with a stinking cold!
Thanks AndyN it was a superb course.

I went into work in a really good mood, really chilled out and as its my 36th birthday tomorrow and I have the day off. The only trouble is I have had a day of work college's making fun of me all day, its not that I can't stand up for myself. I just feel really down now and not looking forward to spending the day with my family tomorrow.

I will be fine after a nights sleep but I'm not sure how to handle it when if it starts again on Wednesday? I'm quiet a placid guy but my temper is a bit firey when Im pushed so I need to keep it under raps.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
People general take the P out of ignorance. Remember everyone of those people has some interest or an embarrassing programme that they must see. Just take it and move on, it'll be someone else's turn tomorrow.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I remember I bought the first series of RMs Bushcraft on DVD while I was on a lunch break. On the cover it had the extras listed including 'How to sharpen a knife in the field'. When I returned off my break, and on viewing the DVD cover, one of my female colleagues asked me why I had to go into a field to sharpen my knives :rolleyes: Sometimes ignorance has no bounds and really doesn't deserve anything more than a look of utter disbelief.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Why?Because you went on bushcraft course?

Yeh, they took the pi** because I was using my brain learning new skills.

They also take the pi** because I am doing a HND in Woodland Mangement and Arboriculture, its part time and I am paying for it myself but it seems to give them endless material to make fun of me.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
In my workplace only people who are liked get the mickey taken out of them.

If you're disliked the abuse gets dished out when the persons not present

May be some consolation then as your colleagues feel comfortable enough with you
openly rip the P

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In my workplace only people who are liked get the mickey taken out of them.

If you're disliked the abuse gets dished out when the persons not present

May be some consolation then as your colleagues feel comfortable enough with you
openly rip the P

That is the truth.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Its just banter and Im sure they dont think they are hurting your feelings.

Either confront them that it really hurts your feelings, or fight back (i.e. make fun of their football team and see how they like it)

Usually, if footie fans make fun of my wild camping, I tell them its about time they stopped watching grown sweaty men in shorts chase eachother around the field and start watching womens volleyball team.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
My friends thought I was a bit nuts until one of them went on a cookery course ... I know .. but anyway he wanted a milder form of garlic for some dish or other so I brought him out for a wander and showed him the free wild garlic (ramsons). He had no choice then but to accept that my hobby was as valid if not as practical as his.

Andrew

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i work with a bloke who has a 00 gauge train set in his loft and plays with it for hours, he wears a conductors hat and everything, he's a cracking bloke, and no-one teks the pee pee,

i also work with a bloke who drinks beer plays sunday league footy and snooker but he's a bit of a knob, not many folk like him tbh,....but i dont think its cos of his pass time,...

just enjoy what you do, and enjoy your family,

i get called Tarzan sometimes at work , the lads say i'm more at home in a tree with leopard skin trunks on,...but its true so i dont sweat it,....lol.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Why is that people who have an interest that is a something other than drinking beer and watching football?

I went on Natures craft's Hunter Gatherer course at the weekend, I had an excellent time even with a stinking cold!
Thanks AndyN it was a superb course.

I went into work in a really good mood, really chilled out and as its my 36th birthday tomorrow and I have the day off. The only trouble is I have had a day of work college's making fun of me all day, its not that I can't stand up for myself. I just feel really down now and not looking forward to spending the day with my family tomorrow.

I will be fine after a nights sleep but I'm not sure how to handle it when if it starts again on Wednesday? I'm quiet a placid guy but my temper is a bit firey when Im pushed so I need to keep it under raps.

It's just banter mate, it's entertainment. I think the idea is you rip it back. Nowt as funny or as dry or as quick as two blokes who are good at it, bouncing off each other. It means nothing.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
as mark says dont take it sereously its only banter dont rise to it and learn to give as good as you get but no nasties its only fun regards dave
ps and remember while there taking the rise out of you there giving someone else a break

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Just make sure you're true to yourself and what you enjoy and the words will bounce off. Retaliating on their terms will probably help too....if you offer them round for one of your worm casseroles will show you're not taking it too seriously & they'll get fed up. As an aside, I came accross someone who got all stuffy about something akin to this with the result that the perpetrators ramped it up a few notches and friendships basically fell apart....if the guy had just told them to naff off in their own terms it would have blown over. I got accused by my best mates of going tree hugging and all sorts of rubbish....but they ended up telling my missus one weekend when I was in the woods that they wished they had the interest to do it and learn some of it for themselves. As I say be true to yourself and you're untouchable...:)

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Well how do you think I get on with one of my hobbies? I collect camping stoves!
I am fed up of explaining why I do.
But then again the majority of people think that I am sad anyway! lol
Thats is until they need me or my skills for something. usually to get them out of the myre!!
Alan

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Why do the people at work need to know what you do at the weekend? They will only know if you tell them. I usually find it is better to not tell people too much about anything. People are usually far more interested in telling you about themselves anyway. You don't need to be rude or not answer questions, just be vague. eg: work colleague, you

"Hi mate, what do you do at the weekend?"
"Oh, you know this and that, spent some time with the family, a good weekend. You?"
"I went to the football."
"Were they at home?"
etc

or

"What did you do at the weekend?"
"I went camping"
"Oh not your playing tarzan in the bushes, again?"
"Yeah but its cheaper than a hotel, and you get to spend more time with Jayne! What about you, football again?"
"yeah"
"Don't we get enough balls working here without spending all weekend watching one?"

If you start telling people about the finer points of a scandi grind, or the latest fungi you have discovered then they will take the ****. It's their polite way of saying that they are not that interested in having a long conversation about your interests - save that for your family.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
At the moment ‘Whittling Dan’ is bestowed to me ….there is no escaping the fact that I am ‘whittling Dan’…even though I’m actually a Jim….which kinda makes my point….it’s totally meaningless.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
It seems we all get it. I get called GI Joe, Action Man, Ray Grylls, Andy McNob for being in the TA and Bushcraft. Hell i even get the pee taken out of me if i'm caught reading on a break.
Rise above it, you're learning a new skill set and actually doing something with your time instead of going out and getting hammer, battering some poor soul minding his own business and not catching any of the various nasties that you can catch from those "lose" people who go out on weekends.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE