Why do people have to take the Pi** all the time?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Dont sweat it stamp... 90% of the people in my work are knobs, 8% i dont have dealings with and 2% i dont think i've ever talked to :)

I have one good mate that ribs me on a monday morning with 'catch and squizzers with your teeth over the weekend' ect, but he's normally facinated with whatever i'm spying on the net kit wise.

Remember the phrase 'work-mate' has wide goal posts and just condife in people that respect your interests.

TBL.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
and just didn't share anything outside work with them.

That's pretty much my sentiment - I'm a teacher and don't have any intersection between home & work. A while ago I had a load of colleagues on facebook but I've deleted them and pupils are "ignored" (on FB!!!) on a daily basis. I don't want anyone from work knowing anything that I havn't specifically told them.

In Extremis, I recently went to wales to train with Stirling Airsoft. There's some interesting tales to be told by the instructors, and the first thing they tell you is to keep the entire experience to yourselves. safer for them and easier for you. Outside of my immediate family and my airsoft cronies, none of the details have been discussed. we're keeping it special for ourselves and others that were there:)

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I really wouldn't worry about it. I get it all of the time, I found the best way to deal with it is to go along with the banter, give and take it. Then they'll see that it doesn't get your back up and 99% of the time once they've run out of jokes they'll start to ask questions about your hobby.

Most people don't take the P out of malice anyway, just ignorance and can't think of anything else to say.

ATB

Adam

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Your hobbies and interests are your own and you don't need to justify them to anybody. If what you do makes you happy and doesn't have a negative impact on others then sod em. Personally, I'm a builder with, now having discoverd bushcraft, 3 main hobbies. The other 2 are boxing/MMA and cake decorating! Last week I made a sleeping beauty princess cake, a yew hunting bow and sparred 20 rounds. None of these things make me better or worse than the next man, they just make me me. I get the most grief about the cake decorating, but then they see the cakes and soon change their tune :) I guess what I'm trying to say is that people will always take the pi*s, regardless of what you do. You just have to be sure in the knowledge that the way you spend your spare time is far more productive than 99% of the small-minded tools at your work. As i've got older i've cared less and less about what people think and more about what I want to get out of life. Easier said than done, but try not to sweat em mate.

Its just banter and Im sure they dont think they are hurting your feelings.

Either confront them that it really hurts your feelings, or fight back (i.e. make fun of their football team and see how they like it)

Usually, if footie fans make fun of my wild camping, I tell them its about time they stopped watching grown sweaty men in shorts chase eachother around the field and start watching womens volleyball team.

I agree. I personally would rather boil my Tes**cals than go to a footy match. I saw a picture a while ago of a guy who had a huge tattoo of a famous footballer (apparently, I didn't know who he was) on his leg iirc and thought it all a bit wierd.

I have non bushcraft mates but they don't take the p*ss about my outdoor activities as I usually have my uses when we all go camping ;) They rip into me constantly for everything else though but they get it back and I'd miss it if it were any other way tbh. I haven't had work colleagues for many years as I work for myself but I used to always act the clown and I think people thought me a bit unstable so never included me in any 'high jinks' malarkey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE