what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I can't decide between my SAK, the Opinel and the Leaterman 300ST. I use them all equally much. But the SAK is thoe one I carry with me when I am not out in the muck playing bushcraft.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
ah ok, like knitting..kind of. never used one you see, not got alot of know how with knots either. good with other stuff though..ish.

A bit like knitting. A proper splice gives 100% of the strength of the rope. The best you can do with a knot (or to use the proper term for joining ropes, a 'bend') is about 60% because of distortion of the rope lay and fibres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bend_knots

Will this thread never die? :)

Apr 25, 2013
Estonia
I have 3 pocket knives which I use mostly. First one is EKA Swede 8. Blade is quite thick (3mm) and this makes this knife good for hunting knife. Locking system is very good too, it doesn`t have backlash or nothing. The handle scales are made form bubinga wood. Blade material is Sandvik 12C27 steel, which is hardened to 58 HRC and blade keeps edge quite well.
Eka Swede 8:
0102180357922dd.jpg

Then two mostly used SAKs are Victorinox Camper (91mm model) and Victorinox Tourist (84mm) model.
Those knives have all tools which is necessary to me. Camper is 3-layer, Tourist is 2-layer.
Tourist is my EDC, Camper I take with me when I go forest or do some outdoor activites.
Victorinox Camper:
010218037996c6a.jpg

Victorinox Tourist:
0101987275895e2.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
seeing as my pictures have been derped by photobuckets inablilty to save an image when it gets moved to a different folder!

here's my current favourite, the one that gets the most use! GEC Bullnose in 01, orange delrin handles and brass lanyard tube. Accompanied with a custom Angst pocket sheath.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
nice! what's the friction on the main pivot like? I guess it's fixed and can't be tightened, so has yours slacked up at all?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
nice! what's the friction on the main pivot like? I guess it's fixed and can't be tightened, so has yours slacked up at all?

Michael engraves each of his custom pieces with his name and the date of completion, mine is dated 12-22-09 (that's how the boys over the big water do it) and the knife has seen a lot of use in that time, i can honestly say, there is ZERO blade play, i don't know how Michael does it, but somehow when you open the blade fully, it seems to 'click' into place, and the tolerances on the Micarta scales and spacers is so precise that there is absolutely no room for manouveur with the dreaded blade wobble, there is also ample tang end going into the gap between the scales, which is a big help in the durability department, i also know that the maker uses some type of bushing system between blade and scales, a wonderfully classy and understated bit of kit, less is more, no connections etc.

Biker

Here's the folder I find myself carrying the most when not having the Leatherman Supertool on my belt that is.

It's a double ended Opinel no9. Originally it began life as two separate knives but I liked the idea of having a smaller whittling carving knife with the very worn down blade as well as the bigger blade. So rather than carry two Opinels I adapted the handles to lock together and glued them like that.

Matter of fact it's in my hip pocket as I type this.

Opinel1.jpg

Opinel2.jpg

Opinel3.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that's cool dude! was it hard to do? and is it just glue, or are there pins too?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Been carrying this Falkie for the last month now, Photos where taken when it was new

And this photo is for scale:)

Last edited:

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Hi All,
Like many of you, I have lots of pocket knives for different occasionss,
This could be called "me bestist", well, its the one carried when wearing
trousers! (does,nt get that much use). its from taylors of sheffield
002.jpg003.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

that's cool dude! was it hard to do? and is it just glue, or are there pins too?

Thanks Samon. It was sort of fiddly to do as the cuts need to be exact and the surfaces perfectly flat. I'm used to working with wood being a Carpenter/Joiner so I wasn't so intimidated taking on that project. It's just glued and no pins, because the blades would foul on them when they're closed otherwise.

I'm really pleased with it. Obviously not a UK legal EDC, but over here it's almost a law that every Frenchman carries an Opinel or laguiole. I figured it'd be rude not to try and integrate :lmao:. The knife does get a lot of attention when shown to my French friends. They agree with you, it's pretty cool.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I lost my Spyderco UKPK a few weeks ago and 'needed' something for EDC. As I've recently had a warranty problem with my Nikon, cash is a little tight at the moment, so I set myself a budget of £10 to see how I'd get on.

After a couple of days scouring websites and reading reviews, I found this lovely little beauty on Heinnie Haynes. It's an Imperial Shrade Sodbuster with a 2¾ inch blade made from stainless steel with a non-locking slip joint.

It's been living in my pocket for almost a month and hasn't been used much beyond opening boxes and trimming rubber tube, but that's pretty much all I use a pocket knife for. I'll most likely 'upgrade' to the SOG Slipzilla on payday, but this little champ has proven a most worthy substitute.

P1000450.jpg

P1000451.jpg

P1000452.jpg

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just got this in the post from South Africa - UKPK for scale.

20130513_132110.jpg20130513_132146.jpg20130513_132239.jpg

Its a bit chunkier than my usual knives, but feels really nice in the hand and can see it being my EDC for a while.

Apr 15, 2013
Notts/Derbys
I've got one called picnic but I can't post a picture for some reason, can't find the option. It's been a good knife, kept a good edge. Spanish it is, cost me £20 odd from a shop in Penzance a few years back now.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
1. Shing slippy - superb, very strong, can do a lot of things you would reserve normally for a fixed blade, and UK legal
2. SAK Swiss Champ - can do just about anything. Not much use as a knife, but a superb resource for tick removal, split fingernail tidying, canoe maintenance, sawing small items, etc etc
3. Spyderco UKPK - very sharp and a unique design, but looks a bit tactical for my liking and would I feel lead to awkward questions
4. Nice Laguiole with an olive wood handle- because I love the style, but not UK legal for no-reason carry
5. Joker folder - amazing value

I find whenever I use an SAK as a knife I end up cutting myself, so I am not so keen on them other than 2 above

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
seeing as my pictures have been derped by photobuckets inablilty to save an image when it gets moved to a different folder!

here's my current favourite, the one that gets the most use! GEC Bullnose in 01, orange delrin handles and brass lanyard tube. Accompanied with a custom Angst pocket sheath.

picked one of those up the other day from mike at mikesknives

realy pleased with it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE