what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
At the moment. This one.
dusygesu.jpg

One of Iain's glowing gems. Very nice them :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Currently a Spyderco G10 UKPK when at home and occasionally at work. Usually a Squeak at work for a bit more subtlety, if I remember!

I really need to get the time to make my own - a few jobs to get finished first before I start it though!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
These are mine

P1000691.jpg

GEC #73, Queen sodbuster jr, GEC#72 opinel two blade trapper, Tlim friction folder

planning to add a couple to it - some sort of buzzsaw trapper (I'm thinking Schrade) and a GEC#74 when its released....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Been wathing this thread, fascinated by all the knives and the age of some of them.

Question: several people have told me, in the recent past, that folding knives aren't safe, exhibiting scars to prove it. I've not used one since I was a teenager (pre-Ark days) and so don't really remember what it was like using it. Everyone had one in those days - well, not "well brought up young ladies" but I was never one of them! - so I never thought about it. Obviously you all find them very useful so I'm thinking about getting one next year ... are some knives safer to use than others or is it all about using them correctly (as per all knives)?

I think some people assume they aren't safe because they've had the blade close on their fingers/hands. Obviously you don't get that safety of the fixed blade or the more reasuring sense as with a locking knife but aslong as you play safe and know what will cause any blade to close down on your hand you will be fine.

It's been a while since I cut a finger from a blade closing on me, and it was always my fault when it did happen!

buy yourself a vistorinox swiss army knife, or something simular with all the little gadgets you think you will enjoy or need and have a go doing carving and other standard knife tasks and you'll soon find folding knives are as safe as you are careful. :)

Got myself a rough rider paid and ordered :D I'll update here what I think of it!

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
the rough rider I ordered (the elephants toenail) arrived but went back the same day. The build quality, shape, size and style was lovely, really big chunky and right up my alley but the sawed bone scales were lifting and coming off. I phoned heinniehaynes the same day and asked if they could check the rest of their stock to see if it was worth exchanging it for another but unfortunately Richard said it's not the first elephants toenail to be returned due to this. I was refuned once it was returned and I chatted for a bit, sadly the rest of them are also liek this.. very unfortunate as everything else was great. I have since placed an order for the rough rider sunfish, a knife simular in style but less.. fat. I will update when it arrives, possibley tomorrow if the got it out ealy today! I have also requested all of my orders to be inspected prior to shipping, something they ahppily offered to do and made the effort to assure me the only rough rider knives they've had back are the toenails (my favourite design..).

Providing this one turns out nice, I'll order a few more edc rough riders and start collecting as I like that traditional pocket knife style. And maybe order an elephants toenail form ebay.com if I can contact a seller about checking one over thoroughly.

If only more knife companies made big fat stubby knives.. I'd probably be skint! :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ok, my new rough rider knife arrived this morning, the sunfish knife in bone. this is it,

DSCF3486.jpg

it's such a beast! simular in size and shape to the elephants toenail but longer and a little less wide all over. I really like this design, I think I may even like it more than the toenail.. maybe. Both blades snap into place really tightly and came shave sharp, and the knife imo looks great.

Unfortunately though, a small section of bone scale is lifted from the liner simular to the previous knife I had to return (but not as bad as the elephant toenail), I think I may just keep this one and fill the gap with some epoxy or something as I suspect this is actually more common than people let on and returning things gets a little annoying after a while, specially when the same thing keeps happening. Obviously a small gap isn't abig deal to some and maybe I nit pick too much, but realistically this is a £15 mass produced but otherwise pretty well made knife.

Also this knife is more comfy in the hand than the toenail, due to the straighter shaped handle keeping the small blade in more and off my inner knuckles!

Overall I like it, and I feel like a boss with chunky chappy in my pocket! (ooh eer) :)

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Buck 110 folder.

I have an old one I picked up in the states which has harder steel ( 440C) than the newer ones. It's a bit harder to sharpen but not by much and holds it's edge pretty well.

Not legal for EDC but I don't carry a knife to the office so it's not a problem.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
Mine, pictured below, is a friction folder made by Joel Delorme (Jojo). These pictures are from his site so I hope he doesn't mind me showing them. My wife kindly bought it for my 37th birthday last year. The English Walnut scales have darkened somewhat and I've given it a few taps on the pivot pin to tighten it a little but no more than you would expect from normal day to day usage over the last year and a half.

P1030521.jpg

P1030522.jpg

She's a beauty, gets used most days and it would be a sad day indeed if I ever had to sell. Legal carry too.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Mine, pictured below, is a friction folder made by Joel Delorme (Jojo). These pictures are from his site so I hope he doesn't mind me showing them. My wife kindly bought it for my 37th birthday last year. The English Walnut scales have darkened somewhat and I've given it a few taps on the pivot pin to tighten it a little but no more than you would expect from normal day to day usage over the last year and a half.

P1030521.jpg

P1030522.jpg

She's a beauty, gets used most days and it would be a sad day indeed if I ever had to sell. Legal carry too.

Bless my giddy Aunt !! That sir, is fantastic !!!

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
Polishing the bevels while you read this! The craft and skill that went into this is quite marvelous.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
been rotating a few lately, for work and leasure etc..

buck 110.
DSCF3791.jpg

UKPK.
DSCF3799.jpg

British army clasp knife.
DSCF3826.jpg

Rough rider sunfish.
DSCF3832.jpg

Got a few others I've been playing with altely too, as I haven't logged on in ages I've got some catching up to do! :)

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
My current favorites.

EKA Swede 88, 8 and 10.

Stainless steel and great ergonomics. No "tactical" look. Just great tools. The 8 and 10 has seen quite a bit of use. I am a little more careful with the 88. The 88 is a very elegant light weight slicer. The 8 and 10 are more robust bruisers.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My current favorites.

EKA Swede 88, 8 and 10.

Stainless steel and great ergonomics. No "tactical" look. Just great tools. The 8 and 10 has seen quite a bit of use. I am a little more careful with the 88. The 88 is a very elegant light weight slicer. The 8 and 10 are more robust bruisers.

I'm almost the same as you but sold the 8, have the S8 on my belt most days or the 88

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
DSCF3878_zps2c3eb96d.jpg

rough rider trapper! got it a few weeks ago and it makes for a really tidy carry :) £12 well spent!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE