what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Let's see your pocket knife!

What's you're favourite and why?

What things do you choose in a pocket knife?

Feel free to add pictures and stories about your trusty knife of the day! :)

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Mine is a plain British Army clasp knife. Been all over the globe with me.. Simple tough tool. Like this except mine doesn't have the lettering, just a crowsfoot:

getimg.cfm

In fact this is identical

knife0006c.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've wanted one of those guys for a while now, saw one in a small time hiking/outdoors shop near me. Looks tough, it's sheffield steel yeah? I've seen the ones with a large folding spike on the back, whats that for?

I've always liked the no fuss, tough as boots attitude of 'older styled' knives.
Don't really get the same vibe off the latest ranges..

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've wanted one of those guys for a while now, saw one in a small time hiking/outdoors shop near me. Looks tough, it's sheffield steel yeah? I've seen the ones with a large folding spike on the back, whats that for?

I've always liked the no fuss, tough as boots attitude of 'older styled' knives.
Don't really get the same vibe off the latest ranges..

They are sheffield steel. The ones with the spike are a later model. I've seen them and they're just as well made. the spike is called a marlin spike for ropework and such, but can be used in many different applications.

Here is a supplier

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/Military_Knives.html

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah ok, I'm not one for a variety of knots..still i can think of other uses for it. Do you use/carry any other folders mate? I'm interested in 'back seat' knives and tools and ones with history that surpass expensive fashionable types, even if only with sentimental value. Do you have a lot of kit? what sorts of thing do you use them for?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Without a doubt....... Vic Super Tinker.

very nice, looking well looked after too! i keep mine in the victorinox appropriately layer belt sheath. fits nice and is of sturdy construction. I kinda think i should have gotten the knife i have for edc (huntsman) with the file..not sure of the name..i file my nails alot when bored you see.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Without a doubt....... Vic Super Tinker.

Looks like mine. EDC for about 24 years now. Bought the first one in the Bx at RAF Upper Heyford. Lost it in the 1st Gulf War and bought replacement on the Saudi economy. Right front pocket almost everywhere I go.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not so much meant for knots as for splicing I believe. The marlinspike, I mean.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
No. Like splicing one strand of a rope over and under another strand to weave ropes together or back into itself.

ah ok, like knitting..kind of. never used one you see, not got alot of know how with knots either. good with other stuff though..ish.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Splicing is predominantly (but not exclusively) used for creating very strong and durable knotless loops at the ends of rope.

Google "splicing with a marlin spike" for plenty of info.

There is even a marlin spike knot, for temporarily securing the marlin spike to guard against loss when you need your hands to be doing other things.

A metal marlin spike is actually for working with wire rope while, traditionally, a wooden tool called a Fid (looks like a large sewing needle) is used for working with natural and man-made ropes.

Showing my age a little - I learned that in the scouts as a kid, back when the scouts were allowed to teach you stuff like that :)

My favourite folder is my Case Canoe. Mine has D2 blades and Cocobolo handle slabs but it looks more or less like this library picture:

case_canoe.jpg

I also have a couple of Case Trapper models:

3323537715_42c90c8081.jpg

And, like most, I have a Swiss Army knife or two that are always around if needed.

I own and use some really nice custom folders but the above are my mainstay every day carry knives and, to be honest, I could do the vast majority of all my knife work with them.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Schrade Old Timer 340T, just like this one (stock photo)

images

Before that it was a SAK Tinker and/or an Army knife with the Marlin spike as described in other posts above.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Splicing is predominantly (but not exclusively) used for creating very strong and durable knotless loops at the ends of rope.

Google "splicing with a marlin spike" for plenty of info.

There is even a marlin spike knot, for temporarily securing the marlin spike to guard against loss when you need your hands to be doing other things.

A metal marlin spike is actually for working with wire rope while, traditionally, a wooden tool called a Fid (looks like a large sewing needle) is used for working with natural and man-made ropes.

Showing my age a little - I learned that in the scouts as a kid, back when the scouts were allowed to teach you stuff like that :)

My favourite folder is my Case Canoe. Mine has D2 blades and Cocobolo handle slabs but it looks more or less like this library picture:

case_canoe.jpg

I also have a couple of Case Trapper models:

3323537715_42c90c8081.jpg

And, like most, I have a Swiss Army knife or two that are always around if needed.

I own and use some really nice custom folders but the above are my mainstay every day carry knives and, to be honest, I could do the vast majority of all my knife work with them.

Love older style folders! Whats D2 like on a folder with convex edge? i hear its a b**** to sharpen without ceramics..is this true? how much is a knife simular to the ones youve shown?

is that a puma folder robbi? pilot model?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE