what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Kershaw Kudu Wildcat ridge.
knifeandjock_zps3d0145dc.jpg
Not seen a Kershaw blade in ages. I have just recently found my Blue Mountain after loosing it almost 10 years ago.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Do you use the eka10 for battoning at all?

My current favorites.

EKA Swede 88, 8 and 10.

Stainless steel and great ergonomics. No "tactical" look. Just great tools. The 8 and 10 has seen quite a bit of use. I am a little more careful with the 88. The 88 is a very elegant light weight slicer. The 8 and 10 are more robust bruisers.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've drawers full of knives that I've aquired and I like to rotate them. From the old and tiny to the new and hopefully these days not silly. On the car keys is the everyones old fav a Victorinox, they don't do this one anymore I think. It's the Manager Swiss but with red LED instead of tweezers/toothpick. Has the wee biro in it too.
P090313_09.54.jpg

Also have a couple of Opinels kicking 'round the pocket and bag.
No.8 Bose limited edition for the 1992 winter Olympics in Albertville.
IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

And a bog standard and the older I get the more I love these little knives for everyday living a No6 Carbon blade.
IMG_0372.JPG

Next pic for scale.
IMG_0364.JPG

Will post more from the collection sometime, I have a series of old mini penknives which are nice.
GB.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
Do you use the eka10 for battoning at all?

No, I hardly ever baton with any knife. Especially not with a folder. It might work, but I wont test it. I might baton in an emergency with a Mora or my Fällkniven A1.

I prefer to split wood with an axe or an hydraulic log splitter, depending on the dimensions and where I am. And cut with a bow saw or a chainsaw. For cooking on a small camp fire or a brew on my Kelly Kettle a pair of good pruning shears usually are enough to prepare fire wood. I often carry a Leatherman Hybrid for that purpose. Great for gathering fir branches to sit on as well.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
This one gets a lot of pocket time, along with my Victorinox Mauser.

Shing Raven in D2 and black G10, i have put a mirror polished convex edge on her, Shing's knives are bombproof.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I saw some photos a while back of a fixed blade, early middle ages 'heax' knife which was exactly the same shape as my opinel no 8. Which has a pretty distinct handle and blade.

Anyone know what the difference between heax and a seax is?

A good bird and trout knife.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that's a nice picture dude :)

I've had a go with lots of different pocket knives lately and some I like alot, some I like but don't use and some I love! I think the Spyderco ukpk is very good, mainly due to the one handed opening being so practical. But I really like my GEC bullnose and have been pocketing it everyday since getting it.

and it's new sheath..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
:D

It's a lovely knife, probably the best production made Sodbuster out there! 01 steel, 3" blade choice of 3 handle colours and rare! Luckily I managed to source an unused one from someone who panic bought one a while ago!

I wanted a simple, single bladed knife that was tight and very well made. This is it and has the usual GEC top qulaity fit and finish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE