A Knife of Wrath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
This year's challenge trip for me is to do the Cape Wrath Trail from Fort William to, well, Cape Wrath. Taking our time to prevent cumulative strains and to enjoy it we'll be staying in a tent, bothies, private mountain huts, B&Bs, hotels, friend cottages and bunk rooms. I need to pare back gear and just a SAK would be doable for packaging, camp chores etc but I felt the need to research an ultra-lightweight alternative for fun and as a wee reward.

I looked at a small, cheap plastic handled kitchen knife but the sheaths were crap as were the knives in general. No pride of ownership. My smallest fixed blade was a Spyderco Street Beat which was light but not ultralightweight and was single utility...a knife. Persusing Heinnie Haynes I saw the Outdoor Element Contour Feather FB at a reported 55g (93g on the scales at home all in with sheath, clip and firesteel )This is the original and, IMHO, better than the recent Kickstarter follow-ons. Using the HH Discount Code (thanks HH and BB) it arrived today.

20240323_151746.JPG

20240323_151801.JPG

The web description just about covers it:

The Outdoor Element Contour Feather is a five-in-one knife and tool.

With a short 5cm (2") bowie-style blade, this full tang knife with a thin, manoeuvrable handle. This knife has a fire starter, survival whistle, ceramic knife sharpener/honer, and hex driver. Clip it to your pack, belt or pocket, or wear as a neck knife. It’s lightweight and easy to carry.

Strong & sharp 5cm blade made from premium VG10 steel, HRC 58-61
Body length is 14cm
Jimping on spine
Loud 115 dB survival whistle
¼" hex driver on flat of blade
Replaceable, thick, long-lasting, fully threaded, custom hex ferro rod on the sheath
Integrated ceramic blade sharpener on the sheath
Heavy-duty pocket clip on the sheath
The Contour Feather knife is made of VG10 steel with a Rockwell hardness of HRC58-60 which means it holds an edge very well and with 15.5% chromium means it’s extremely corrosion resistant (stainless steel). Jimping on the spine, the thumb hold on the flat, and the G10 scales of the handle ensure a safe and durable grip. Nimble enough to whittle, strong enough to baton.

Start Fire: Fire can be critical to survival in an emergency. Be safe and be seen. Throw huge sparks by striking the 90-degree spine against our proprietary hex-shaped, threaded ferrocerium rod on the sheath.

Be Loud, Be Found: A loud, 115dB safety whistle is integrated directly into the handle of Contour Feather.

A dull knife is a dangerous knife. Thanks to the ceramic blade sharpener/honer built directly into the sheath, you can sharpen on the go.

Tighten or replace the threaded ¼” hex ferro rod using the driver built into the blade. The sheath is fully threaded so the ferro rod can be inserted backwards on the sheath providing additional purchase/grip with the sheath when striking the knife's spine against the ferro rod.

Secure and accessible: The form-fitted, secure-lock sheath also features a heavy-duty belt clip, specifically designed to fit ¾" webbing (common size on sternum straps on backpacks). Secure it to your chest strap, your belt, or your pocket. Or wear Contour Feather as a neck knife by threading cordage of your choice (we suggest our custom survival cord) through the two larger sheath rivets. It's lightweight and easy to carry.

For me, the extra fire-starting method, the extra whistle, the tiny pack weight and the sharpener give it extra utility over the, nearly, 3-week trip. I like the orange liners so it doesn't get lost on the ground, the handle feels very secure and comfortable and I will probably take off the clip and put a Paracord neck loop through the 2 bottom grommets. I suspect it will be packet opening, kitchen use, stove starting and maybe a bit of fire-making in bothies in the main.

I'll give it a good using and will report back later.

Last edited:

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
It's a superb trail, the Cape Wrath one. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

When I did it, the only times I used the knife I took - a Ben Orford Bushmuk - was when prepping wood and lighting fires in the two or three bothies I used along the way. I don't regret carrying it at all and I hope you find even more uses for your chosen cutting tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE