What's your favourite season for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
As the title says do you have a favourite season to go into the wild? I have to say without a doubt my favourite is winter, closely followed by autumn. To my mind there's nothing better than being camped in the woods in the winter. Now I'm not talking about winter up north more like southern winters in the UK.

To my mind there's nothing better than the peace and solitude of a winter camp. Sitting by a small fire sipping a nice hot drink as your breath steams in the chill air, My favourite site was just off the bank of the river Medway close enough to hear the river in the background. Lay back and stargaze....pure heaven. :)

So what's your favourite season??

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Bushcraft season is 1st Jan to 31st Dec... I love it all .. though in summer I can overheat which means more sitting around with cold drinks....

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My bushcraft season is winter, because summer means bugs and wildlife, so I spend the warmer months doing invertebrate and plant surveys and education work, and winter doing the camping stuff. Either way, I am outdoors.

Haggis

Nomad
I'm in the bush everyday, with the rare exception, from September first until the end of March. Here, the end of March means the snow is going and is being replaced by mud. By the time the mud dries, is is mosquito season. I'm not out much during April, May, and June, then quite often during July and August, but come September, I'm thinking "Winter is Coming".

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I like all the seasons but Autum/ winter is the best for me. I like frosty and misty mornings when you can see your breath and a nice chilly breeze- but not too harsh. I'm not sure why but I really love that- getting a brew fire going after a nice paddle I the canoe- one of my most favourite things to do! :)

I think what I adore most is the changing of the seasons, something simply magical about those times but like you all I am drawn towards autumn and winter. The time where many people head inside to stay cosy means that the hills and forests feel a little bit more wild again and its wonderful to indulge in. I like the darker nights to be spent around the fire or tracking under the moon. Time seems longer and the world more intimate. Its one of the things I adore about this country, the fact we do have seasons and the challenges and delights that accompany them :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It used to be winter all the way for me as I loved snow holing and climbing vertical ice. Health has put paid too that and though I still love sub zero stuff it doesn't love me. SO maybe autumn now ("Oh darling!, your colors! you're an autumn!") (Spelling deliberately USA). I love the fruits and culmination of a frenetic season of growth. The putting away of the seasons bounty to see us through the fallow period ahead. It's not for nowt I'll be celebrating my own little pagan version of Lammas. Lammas growth occurs after the hectic summer when plants put out extra growth after the worst of the summer onslaught of insects has gone. It's my own little pagan festival and one that's important to me. New fresh leaf growth means that I can have things like beech leaf sarnies again, and an extra spurt of growth means that nuts and berries get and extra plumpness. You're welcome to join me in my own little festival, though I'll be off skipping (well hobbling these days)through the undergrowth enjoying the bounty of secondary regrowth.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love Summer as I like the warm weather and smell after a heavy rainfall. Spring and Autumn come second as the reptiles are most active and plenty of outdoors work surveying to be done. I don't like Winter, so spend it in hotter climes hunting more exotic species.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think Night Phoenix summed it up well :D
Summer though, well if like this one, and too blooming hot, dawn and early morning is the best of the day for me :D
Himself's one of those early to bed folks while I would love more rambling in the dusk.

Y'know what I love ? that first feeling that there's the change in the air; the way the world feels against our senses.
In Spring is a brightening delight :D and then Summer comes in with the long, long days and the world changes full blown into colour, smells, green-ness that's lush :D and the first breath of Autumn that makes us haste to gather, store, redd out, prepare, and the short days and firelight again :D and if we're blessed with a cold, dryish Winter, with brightness even in the too short days, it's a pleasure to be out then home again, snug and warm and bedded down cosy for the night.

I don't think I could ever settle in a bit of the world without seasons.

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think Night Phoenix summed it up well :D
Summer though, well if like this one, and too blooming hot, dawn and early morning is the best of the day for me :D
Himself's one of those early to bed folks while I would love more rambling in the dusk.

Y'know what I love ? that first feeling that there's the change in the air; the way the world feels against our senses.
In Spring is a brightening delight :D and then Summer comes in with the long, long days and the world changes full blown into colour, smells, green-ness that's lush :D and the first breath of Autumn that makes us haste to gather, store, redd out, prepare, and the short days and firelight again :D and if we're blessed with a cold, dryish Winter, with brightness even in the too short days, it's a pleasure to be out then home again, snug and warm and bedded down cosy for the night.

I don't think I could ever settle in a bit of the world without seasons.

atb,
M

Hmm Mary, I'd like to let those words wash over my skin. What a wonderful sense of change, like an April shower! Unexpected, refreshing and invigorating. That is pure and more importantly honest poetry. I can feel the smells and changes against my skin and other senses reading that. Very sensual. Cheers for posting (and I may pinch some of those sentiments sometime you're not looking)

I like the sound of your festival of Lammas growth :D
It used to be winter all the way for me as I loved snow holing and climbing vertical ice. Health has put paid too that and though I still love sub zero stuff it doesn't love me. SO maybe autumn now ("Oh darling!, your colors! you're an autumn!") (Spelling deliberately USA). I love the fruits and culmination of a frenetic season of growth. The putting away of the seasons bounty to see us through the fallow period ahead. It's not for nowt I'll be celebrating my own little pagan version of Lammas. Lammas growth occurs after the hectic summer when plants put out extra growth after the worst of the summer onslaught of insects has gone. It's my own little pagan festival and one that's important to me. New fresh leaf growth means that I can have things like beech leaf sarnies again, and an extra spurt of growth means that nuts and berries get and extra plumpness. You're welcome to join me in my own little festival, though I'll be off skipping (well hobbling these days)through the undergrowth enjoying the bounty of secondary regrowth.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like the sound of your festival of Lammas growth :D

Cheers Night Phoenix, I'm sure as a fellow Scot you'll appreciated the importance of the extra spurt of growth that occurs the now. I find it extra bountiful and wonderful to take back a Christian festival that was taken from us! (Though was it ever Pagan - all the better). Anyway, it has importance to me and you're welcome to join in. It's kind've a late fecundity festival in my head without the overtones. Pure growth, I look on it as personal regrowth in later life. More mental and spiritual than physical. But you can enjoy it however you like as it's new (well a few years for me) and shiny. (oppps the Firefly is coming out in me there)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are three harvesting festivals all running close just now. There's the hay, the grain, the fruits, and the first ales, wines and new stuffed beds freshy made too :D
Harvest babies are Spring born.
All the herbs and flourishes are drying now too; and the canny are putting by for later, and noting just where things are growing so they'll mind the roots. Busy, busy, busy, and long days and warm nights and who really needs sleep ? :D Everything's putting on a bit of healthy growth, a bit of fat and hard earned muscle.

The old Welsh for it is the Gŵyl Awst, in Scots it was the Guile, the August festival.
Winter's no' here yet though, nor coming all that soon, so time to play, to enjoy the company and the wandering around.

cheers,
M

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Yes.

Every season is unique, and brings with it something Special.

I look forward through the late winter months to the first signs of spring. The blackthorn, daffodils, the blue bells (I would say snow drops but round here they flower in around the middle of December), the buds on the trees, and the first signs of warmth. To be able to take off the thick winter coat, and walk through the woods in just a shirt is a joy. I like to walk the paths and hedgerows of my local area, to note down now where the trees are by their blossom. In spring you can see a blackthorn in flower from half a mile away, come late summer, you may even walk straight past the same bush without noticing. It's a time of promise, a time of beauty. But also a time of lack. The winter stores are running low, and the new season produce is not yet ready to harvest. We have the hungry gap.

As spring progresses and the green develops, to sit in a woodland glade surrounded by wild flowers alive with the buzz of bees. The first fresh greens of the season are coming on now. The garden is a time of hard work, planting and tending. Sewing the seeds that will hopefully see us through to this time next year. But in all this there is the chance to sit in the shade of an apple tree in full blossom, to listen to the birds sing and the bees Buzz, rejoicing in the warmth and potential around us.

As summer progresses, the fields we walk past are turning from green to a golden bronze. The trees shielding us from the sun that beats down. The first seeds sewn just weeks ago are bringing forth a harvest that is incomparable to any other during the year. The first new potatoes, the first lettuce, the first beetroot. I walk the forest, I walk the hedgerows, to watch as things develop. Following as flowers turn to green fruit, as green fruit turns into blackberries. Harvest can begin, laying down stores that will see us through the lean times of winter, hoping there is enough in the larder to see us through the hungry gap next year. This time of year brings a brief lull, between the sewing of spring, and the harvest of late summer. It's a time for company, music, song and beer. Hoppy joys, and elder flower sparkles.

Summer is heading for autumn and the hedgerows are full of produce, nuts, berries, fruit. I spend my evenings in the hedgerows with an icecream tub, collecting the bounty I can before they are over ripe or the squirrels, laying down demijohns of wine, jars of jams, sheets of fruit leathers, crocks of nuts. The days are cooling, the nights are longing, time runs short.

As autumn arrives, and the green trees turn to gold, the final bounty appears, from the chestnuts falling from above in spiky packets, to the fungi rising from the forest floor. To walk among the trees, collecting chestnuts, with a brisk breeze, and then return to a nice warm home and a venison stew. A dark beer, the first of the new season beers. Every year I look forward to the first venison of the season, the chestnuts, and the colours of autumn. But know that this comes at a price. The price of Winter.

If the winter brings snow, it is a time of beauty and joy. Of walks in the woods, trying to capture the beauty on film. But of course this is Britain. Winter rarely brings real snow, instead it brings rain, and wind. Driving us to shelter in the warmth of the home, or the open fire of a warm pub. For good beer and good company. Winter is a time for crafts, carving fresh felled timber, sewing clothes, spinning wool, I like to make gifts for those important in my life, ready for the mid winter celebrations. There is much to do outside, making preparations for next year, harvesting wood, tending trees. But to come back home to a piping hot cottage pie and a dark ale. Sounds idyllic. But soon the perpetual grey and the short days, the lack of sunlight, and the constant worry about whether the weather will keep on the correct side of the roof gets to me and I long for Spring, for blue bells, for trees...

Every season has a character, it's good points, and it's bad. As I have spent more time bushcrafting and gardening I have learned to become more at peace with the seasons where best I can. I still don't like the rainy greys of late winter, and always long for spring. But now in the middle of summer, I dream of autumn walks, hot venison stew, and a nice dark beer.

Julia

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes.

Every season is unique, and brings with it something Special.

I look forward through the late winter months to the first signs of spring. The blackthorn, daffodils, the blue bells (I would say snow drops but round here they flower in around the middle of December), the buds on the trees, and the first signs of warmth. To be able to take off the thick winter coat, and walk through the woods in just a shirt is a joy. I like to walk the paths and hedgerows of my local area, to note down now where the trees are by their blossom. In spring you can see a blackthorn in flower from half a mile away, come late summer, you may even walk straight past the same bush without noticing. It's a time of promise, a time of beauty. But also a time of lack. The winter stores are running low, and the new season produce is not yet ready to harvest. We have the hungry gap.

As spring progresses and the green develops, to sit in a woodland glade surrounded by wild flowers alive with the buzz of bees. The first fresh greens of the season are coming on now. The garden is a time of hard work, planting and tending. Sewing the seeds that will hopefully see us through to this time next year. But in all this there is the chance to sit in the shade of an apple tree in full blossom, to listen to the birds sing and the bees Buzz, rejoicing in the warmth and potential around us.

As summer progresses, the fields we walk past are turning from green to a golden bronze. The trees shielding us from the sun that beats down. The first seeds sewn just weeks ago are bringing forth a harvest that is incomparable to any other during the year. The first new potatoes, the first lettuce, the first beetroot. I walk the forest, I walk the hedgerows, to watch as things develop. Following as flowers turn to green fruit, as green fruit turns into blackberries. Harvest can begin, laying down stores that will see us through the lean times of winter, hoping there is enough in the larder to see us through the hungry gap next year. This time of year brings a brief lull, between the sewing of spring, and the harvest of late summer. It's a time for company, music, song and beer. Hoppy joys, and elder flower sparkles.

Summer is heading for autumn and the hedgerows are full of produce, nuts, berries, fruit. I spend my evenings in the hedgerows with an icecream tub, collecting the bounty I can before they are over ripe or the squirrels, laying down demijohns of wine, jars of jams, sheets of fruit leathers, crocks of nuts. The days are cooling, the nights are longing, time runs short.

As autumn arrives, and the green trees turn to gold, the final bounty appears, from the chestnuts falling from above in spiky packets, to the fungi rising from the forest floor. To walk among the trees, collecting chestnuts, with a brisk breeze, and then return to a nice warm home and a venison stew. A dark beer, the first of the new season beers. Every year I look forward to the first venison of the season, the chestnuts, and the colours of autumn. But know that this comes at a price. The price of Winter.

If the winter brings snow, it is a time of beauty and joy. Of walks in the woods, trying to capture the beauty on film. But of course this is Britain. Winter rarely brings real snow, instead it brings rain, and wind. Driving us to shelter in the warmth of the home, or the open fire of a warm pub. For good beer and good company. Winter is a time for crafts, carving fresh felled timber, sewing clothes, spinning wool, I like to make gifts for those important in my life, ready for the mid winter celebrations. There is much to do outside, making preparations for next year, harvesting wood, tending trees. But to come back home to a piping hot cottage pie and a dark ale. Sounds idyllic. But soon the perpetual grey and the short days, the lack of sunlight, and the constant worry about whether the weather will keep on the correct side of the roof gets to me and I long for Spring, for blue bells, for trees...

Every season has a character, it's good points, and it's bad. As I have spent more time bushcrafting and gardening I have learned to become more at peace with the seasons where best I can. I still don't like the rainy greys of late winter, and always long for spring. But now in the middle of summer, I dream of autumn walks, hot venison stew, and a nice dark beer.

Julia
I loved that Julia,
Really flowed and showed the simple joy that nature and the fruits of your labour can bring. Like a fair few of us there's food associations to go with the seasons and the meld together so well. Great piece of writing, thanks for posting it up.
GB.

mlc35

Jul 6, 2014
Cleveland
Hi,

up here it has to be winter. everything becomes so clean and fresh. these pictures were taken in April up near Blakey Ridge (the Lion Inn) during our training for the Lyke Wake Walk. I just love being 20 minutes from the 'Great' outdoors. (I am in the red hood BTW).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE