Medieval bushcraft in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 15, 2022
United states
EDIT: I have heard a lot of people say that people who do bushcraft in the winter usually end up dead sadly. Is it possible for anyone to actually be prepared and not die without modern amenities? For an example instead of being in a modern home, a bothie or a tent or makeshift bushcraft house?

I am looking to take an instructors course for bushcraft wild camping to become more experienced and a survivalist when camping long term. However, my ways are very different than most here...I am a medievalist (living history) and I dress daily as the 9th c. - 14th c. (early picts to middle ages/early scotland). However, I have some questions I can not seem to find in my historical research. How did our ancestors survive such harsh winter? I ask because I too wish to not change my attire but be able to survive the winters. To give a specific region, I am specifically speaking of the highlands.
-
I know the rain is difficult but manageable; however, the winter is what confuses me. I am aware of the geographical difference due to the biggest majority of trees being cutdown in Scotland which would have given some form of protection from the winter's wind and rain but that does not entirely protect someone from the temperature, snow, scarce of food, etc.
-
*I am an autistic man, I know I am odd, please be kind with helpful answers and sited resources if possible. If this is not your intent please do the right thing and move along.*

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Not sure I understand your question properly but they survived winter like almost everywhere else at these latitudes: By preparing and stocking up for it for the whole year, if not longer actually. Small living spaces are easier to heat, especially if you share it with lots of people and possibly also animals. You need food, feed and fuel (wood, peat, dried cowpats, coal) for your fire to last you through to the whole season.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I am looking to take an instructors course for bushcraft wild camping to become more experienced and a survivalist when camping long term. However, my ways are very different than most here...I am a medievalist (living history) and I dress daily as the 9th c. - 14th c. (early picts to middle ages/early scotland). However, I have some questions I can not seem to find in my historical research. How did our ancestors survive such harsh winter? I ask because I too wish to not change my attire but be able to survive the winters. To give a specific region, I am specifically speaking of the highlands.
-
I know the rain is difficult but manageable; however, the winter is what confuses me. I am aware of the geographical difference due to the biggest majority of trees being cutdown in Scotland which would have given some form of protection from the winter's wind and rain but that does not entirely protect someone from the temperature, snow, scarce of food, etc.
-
*I am an autistic man, I know I am odd, please be kind with helpful answers and sited resources if possible. If this is not your intent please do the right thing and move along.*
Have a look at some of this guys videos. https://www.youtube.com/@FandabiDozi/videos
They may be of help.
Otherwise as above, well stocked and prepared.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They were a lot tougher than us.

There are people who live naked in the snow. (But they are born to it)

In fact, NASA once did an experiment in acclimatization with an ordinary family, lodging them in a mountain hut in the summer with no clothing, and seeing how advanced the season would get without the family quitting.

Fire helps

(Good to see you again).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They didn't live alone.

They 'bundled' together for heat when the temperatures really dropped. They kept their animals at one end of their house and they lived at the other.....in Switzerland they built their byre in the undercroft and lived above. Heat rises. Same thing in the Scottish lowlands. Lot of exposed areas in the north and building high is often problematical unless you can afford lots of people to work stone, so think black houses instead, much like the scandinavians did.

Ferme touns.....farms with lots of people, with a simple diet.

By the medieval society is settled, it is no longer roving bands. It is an agricultural economy.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you think the Medieval people had problems just consider my own period of interest - the Mesolithic and early Neolithic when we relied on hunting and foraging :)

It is my understanding that between 800 AD and around 1300AD was a relatively warm period in Britain (probably 1C warmer than in the 90's) but also wetter. Staying dry will have been as important as staying warm. As others have said, sheltered shared dwellings, with animals - but it would have been dark and smelly. The barn I now live in was built in the 1600s but still had lofts above the animals as sleeping quarters.

Although we were no longer hunter/gatherer nomads we planned and prepared for winter from late summer onwards. Our lives would almost have been dedicated to that and it would have been hard work. By that period our forests were already virtually cleared so fuel was as important and possibly more difficult to prepare than food.

No easy life that's for sure :)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Do a search for the Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore, Scotland.

You should find some pictures of reconstructed cruck frame blackhouses. They actually have peat fires going in them, gives you a real sense of the living conditions. Although these are set up for a later period with the tools and belongings, the building and conditions really hadn’t changed since the medieval times.

A fascinating place, luckily only up the valley from me, I think a lot of BCUK members would enjoy it.
Mhearadh, it may be worth checking out for work if your ever over here as they employ people for living history?

Oct 15, 2022
United states
They were a lot tougher than us.

There are people who live naked in the snow. (But they are born to it)

In fact, NASA once did an experiment in acclimatization with an ordinary family, lodging them in a mountain hut in the summer with no clothing, and seeing how advanced the season would get without the family quitting.

Fire helps

(Good to see you again).
Thanks mate, I went off grid for a bit but I am back for now. Thanks for the help

Oct 15, 2022
United states

You should find some pictures of reconstructed cruck frame blackhouses. They actually have peat fires going in them, gives you a real sense of the living conditions. Although these are set up for a later period with the tools and belongings, the building and conditions really hadn’t changed since the medieval times.

A fascinating place, luckily only up the valley from me, I think a lot of BCUK members would enjoy it.
Mhearadh, it may be worth checking out for work if your ever over here as they employ people for living history?
I am working my way. Unfortunately only being in my 20s with friends or family for support and sole surviving is a lengthy process to advance in life and to achieve my goals but I will sooner or later. I am in CS (software engineer) and luckily I am going to be in Scotland soon indefinitely

Oct 15, 2022
United states

And mid 17th Century the life expectancy was... 35
depending which parts yes, however most were 60-80s

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
As @Toddy said, small buildings, multiple people in one room, little privacy and animals in the living accommodation to protect animals and to share heat.
One would imagine a horrifically smelly and dirty existence with a life expectancy level not too dissimilar to modern day Glasgow...

Certainly possible to not die, just depends on how geared up you are - whether modern gear or historical gear...

oggydoggy202

Mar 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Hi there,
I'm an archaeologist and teach ancient outdoor skills,with nearly 40 years of working and living outdoors in all weather. It ain't easy, but it's doable and can be a great experience. I have at times used reproduction items and cloths from the medieval period to live for extended periods outdoors in the Highland. Wish you the best of luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE