Whats the WORST item of clothing you have ever bought & WHY?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 21, 2012
Kinross
For me it has to be Brasher Hillmaster boots. Every time I wore them I got blisters on my toe's an they set me back £100, now I wear Lowa military boots.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Funny the two things that came to my mind have already been mentioned. A pair of Karrimor boots and Craighopper trousers. Utter pants in my opinion.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Craghopper kiwi trousers. Don't stand up to any serious thorns, brambles, mud, barbed wire anything vaguely involving hard work. Probably fine for a bimble down the footpaths but rubbish for working outdoors.

You beat me to it, the shorts are ok though, but probably because there is less of them to fall apart.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I bought a pair of Karrimore boots last year, just before a friend and I climbed Tre fynn in Snowdonia. Half way up the sole split left to right under the ball of my right foot. They were barely two weeks old, utter rubbish. I have though just bought some Craghoppers Kiwi winter lined trousers and have been impressed with them this last week. Time will tell I guess.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Didn't Karrimor get bought out in the late 90's?
Their early 90's stuff wasn't too bad, and if they had any problems their customer service was exceptional.

Have to agree with the current crop of Kiwi trousers, i've a few pairs only a few months old and the stitching is already coming apart.
It's a shame because the NosiLife fabric is absolutely fantastic for the warmer climates here.

For tough and hard wearing i've not had anything that's beat my Panoply work trousers yet, not very comfortable for walking in though.
I've just some Tog24 trousers that are mega tough, really hard wearing, comfortable and cut for walking in, only problem is their cotton so not a good material for outdoors use.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Not really bought, but for me it was anything the Army issued.

It's either too heavy, poorly designed, cheaply made or simply doesn't work.
NI rucksack is a prime example, i'd sooner throw a bin linear over my shoulder.

i've never read such a stupid post on any forum !

Brilliant hahahahaha!!!

cbr6fs, I think Robbi was replying with a lot of tongue in his cheek, or a lot of cheek in his reply.

Oh, for me any boots bought from Go Outdoors. Fell apart within 8 weeks.

My feet would be covered for longer if I used brown paper and masking tape. back to the wellies for me.

Liam

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
karrimor owned by mike ashley / sports direct now innit

also my 2 are the karrimor boots - waterproof like a sponge also they fell to bits (had a semi decent orkney II pair though but nothing compared to a good pair)

also those craghoppers kiwi trousers the crotch all came away and the stitching on the pockets came undone

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
a while back someone posted a thread about a sale on those craghoppers trousers that bear grylls wears, apparently they are usually £70 and on sale they were £25-£30, I ordered them in my calibre and they were crap. Loose threads, terrible fit, flimsy seams and just total crap. can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to buy them at full price! I returned mine the next day! :rolleyes:

bought plenty of junk in the past, but those really stand porud at the top of the overpriced poorly made chinese junk list though!

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Regatta boots... Nuff said. i just needed some boots and payday was a while away. Ive had my kiwi trousers 2 years now and had no problems at all. To be fair i dont use them for bushwhacking etc. Just fishing canoeing etc

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
These thermal baselayers, everytime I wear them I almost get electrocuted :( when taking them off it's like a thunder storm in our room.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
re craghoppers kiwis, I think it must be the new ones that are poor. I had an old pair that I dug out from a bottom drawer when I started with the national trust and they lasted me a year of daily abuse easily. They only gave up the ghost when I did something stupid in the sawmill one day. However, the pairs I have bought since have been significantly less hardwearing, they always seem to give way in the crotch (honest your honour, it wasn't my fault).

As for bad stuff, don't think there really have been anything. The odd item, normally bought cheap somewhere.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Swanndri Ranger shirt. Uncomfortable, an odd cut and short sleeves.

Tried twice and made a loss on both, why do they put that bit that makes you look pregnant over your stomach?

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Karrimor gortex jacket. (3 in one) Jacket had zip-in insulation layer. Really well stiched and was heaviweight 'gortex'. One windy visit to the hills retired the jacket. The wind cut straight through seams and front zip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE