Alone (UK) TV series. What ten items would you choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
So did he win? I haven't watched them all but thats an impressive achievement I guess in terms of the show- did he win?

Yeah, both of them did. Jordan Jonas in season 6, and Roland Welker in season 7.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No, for me (and bare in mind I do archery as a hobby), I would take the sling shot, use bait, and go for squirrel, grouse, duck, goose and, of course, fish but with modified hooks.

Having watched the whole of the UK series now, It's clear that technical skills alone are not a guarantee of success. It was interesting that the most successful forager (hunting and fishing) left relatively early. We are a social animal and, I think, it would be a fool that presumed they were immune to the mental issues.

Agreed on the first point and I also 'throw arrars' - definitely take the smaller and less often route , more low energy consistent traps be in either water , land or tree would be my thinking strategy.

I can't even fathom how one may fare whilst hunting an reacting to a Bear that has managed to avoid a fatal shot and now is extremely miffed with the local Robin hood wannabe.

Last point - Think the book Deep Survival goes someway to explain survivor tenacity beats survivor skill.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
And did alot of the contestants in all the shows choose a Bow and Arrow in their kit line?

In the beginning few people took bows & arrows, but this might be because of the location, most of the first 3/4 seasons were on Vancouver Island. Trees seem so dense that not sure taking them would be worth it. But now filming elsewhere seems like roughly half of contestants now take them.

One contestant recently lost his quiver with all his arrows. Though did redem himself by making arrows and taking some small game.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
In the beginning few people took bows & arrows, but this might be because of the location, most of the first 3/4 seasons were on Vancouver Island. Trees seem so dense that not sure taking them would be worth it. But now filming elsewhere seems like roughly half of contestants now take them.

One contestant recently lost his quiver with all his arrows. Though did redem himself by making arrows and taking some small game.
How did he lose the quiver?

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How did he lose the quiver?

He was out hunting, and seemingly dropped it without noticing. Probably a good idea not to carry all your arrows at the same time. :)

Multiple contestants have lost the ferro rod and quit, including Joe Robinet on day 4. If going on the show get into the habit of never putting it on the ground.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I can imagine that we can do a lot of tasks with a really sharp full size axe and an improvised stone knife instead of using a fix blade knife.

But I didn't try it out of course. I got my first SAK when I was five years old and since then I had one in the pocket, always and everywhere.

So, I have no idea what happens if you can't use a knife and have to use a full size axe instead of it for smaller tasks or a stone blade.

But a Goretex bivvy bag is very nice to have of course.

I don't know if the wild animals that I meet are half domesticated in Germany.
But here are a lot that come very close, depending on the species perhaps three to 10 meters only and all are approximately as small as a big dog or smaller. Here a hunting bow would be very nice to have if you are hungry. And afterwards a full size axe might be handy as well for killing them. Even a little rat can bite you..

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
He was out hunting, and seemingly dropped it without noticing. Probably a good idea not to carry all your arrows at the same time. :)

Multiple contestants have lost the ferro rod and quit, including Joe Robinet on day 4. If going on the show get into the habit of never putting it on the ground.
I think I remember that one - rolled into the fire?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do they get ferro rods without lanyard holes or what? The first thing I would do was attaching it with a 50 cm line to the belt.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I think I remember that one - rolled into the fire?

Yeah, another guy found a metal bath tub, so heated the water up in it and had a hot soak. And then discovered had lost his ferro rod.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Do they get ferro rods without lanyard holes or what? The first thing I would do was attaching it with a 50 cm line to the belt.

Contestants take their own gear.

Another idea is to create charcloth with some of the shemagh as soon as made fire. Can strike a spark off the back of a silky saw.
Probably good idea to get a bowdrill set made and proven whilst still have a ferro rod too.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Things that I don't use, wash or dry I put immediatly back into pocket or rucksack.
A place for everything and everything always in its place.

I never had a little boy scout in my groups who was unable to do that.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You need the shemagh as pre filter for water purification by boiling and as a towel or shawl. One can prepare a lot of other tinders.

As long as you stay in place you simply keep the fire going. I think Ötzi even carried embers around, isn't it?

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Can cut the shemagh down, it doesn't need to be 3'x3'. And just need enough charcloth to make the first fire after losing a ferro rod easier.

Not seen anyone filter water, certainly can't remember anyone in the recent seasons, as they've been on a river bank, or lake shore.

Tend to have the fire located inside the shelter. One contestant after 72 days and into Canadian winter his shelter burnt down.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I though you want to save the ferro rod.
If it's lost the shemagh is an option of course.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
it looked a bit like he may not have lost it that accidentally (seems there's a bit of speculation on another forum in that regard) -- fact is he gave up without even trying another way to start a fire...

again: i wasn't there so who knows...
I remember it really well and it raised my eye brow as I was watching it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE