Whats the WORST item of clothing you have ever bought & WHY?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
A pair of, none too cheap, Merrell boots, cant remember the cost exactly but was definitely in excess of £100. Uncomfortable and leaked, even in wet grass. Demoted to gardening boots within a fortnight.

I'm surprised by that. I've worn merrell's for a long time and generally like them. I did have a pair that leaked- turned out that the goretex in the toe area had worn away which made me question the quality. I do have a pair of their "approach shoes" which are non goretex lined and they have lasted well and took a lot of abuse.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Berhaus Mistral Goretex jacket.
Generation 1 Goretex - which just did not work!
I am amazed that Gore did not go bust with that rubbish though I think their current products have improved some!
As to Swanni Ranger shirts - the cut is brill - the arms are the right length for non ape like humans and the pleat under the zip makes the body fit mine....
As to Norgie shirts - I found mine excellent! There has never been an easier to wear towel invented!
Modern Karrimor is just tat compared to the old Karrimor - but the legend of the name lives on and folk think they are going to get the old quality ....

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Berhaus Mistral Goretex jacket.
Generation 1 Goretex - which just did not work!
I am amazed that Gore did not go bust with that rubbish though I think their current products have improved some!
As to Swanni Ranger shirts - the cut is brill - the arms are the right length for non ape like humans and the pleat under the zip makes the body fit mine....
As to Norgie shirts - I found mine excellent! There has never been an easier to wear towel invented!
Modern Karrimor is just tat compared to the old Karrimor - but the legend of the name lives on and folk think they are going to get the old quality ....

John, Ive still got a Berghaus 3/4 length Lightning using all the time. Dont know what generation it is but bought it in 1991

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sealskinz beanie hat, works just fine but it crunches and crackles like wearing a plastic bag on your head!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Wow its true what they say that kit is like marmite!!

Brasher hill master 2 biits, awesome boots for me but someone on here didnt get on with it, love my norgie (but only sleep in it)
Again I own a few pairs of craghoppers and never had any problems, dont bush wack but used to work as a lorry mechanic so they got a good work out, I would reccomend them to anyone!!

For me though by far the worst kit I have ever bought was a Regatta packaway jacket, I get soaked in sweat everytime I wear it regardless of the weather, I honestly cant tell you if its waterproof or not as when it rains im normally soaked anyway!!

As for Karrimor, I would have loved to have seen the gear they sold when it was good, all I have ever known is that they sold rubbish, in fact other than the dry bags which so far have been ace, everything else I have bought from them have been utter tosh!!

I have just bought a Sabre 45 off here but thankfully as said earlier they are made by someone else.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John, Ive still got a Berghaus 3/4 length Lightning using all the time. Dont know what generation it is but bought it in 1991

I forget the year but it was about 36 years ago - the first year Berghaus started using Goretex. Despite the fact that the jacket was stolen from me, Berghaus sent me a free replacement - which failed within a week, and a replacement for that one, which I sold and which also failed very soon and which the person I sold it to got a free replacement .... utter tat!

Sep 7, 2013
Hampshire, UK
Around 2001 I bought a pair of Houdini pants (possibly by Lowe Alpine). Akin to MC Hammer walking through the woods wasn't a good look! I hid them away for a couple of years before binning them.

Sealskinz socks in their early days. The fit was aweful producing very strange blisters.

Cheers

Stew

My issued Norgie shirt was awesome to sleep in while serving in Bosnia (-26c).

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Bought a mountain warehouse softshell. Less breathable than a pack a mac. Half a cool dry days walk, and the inside of the sleeves were soaked. Left them hanging up for a day or so and they were still wet! Nasty things...

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Karrimor footwear.

I bought a pair of Karrimor mid boots. Completely worn the soles out after just 3 months and I mean no tread at all left on. Also holes and rips were appearing in the material. They weren't even put to heavy use but just as casual. Binned after just 3 months.

Then got given a pair of new Karrimor hiking boots before I was set to do the 3 peaks challenge. Thought Id go out with the dogs to break em in, ended up rolling my ankle due to how "floppy" they were. Luckily the pain subsided when I started the 3 peaks - using my hi-tecs and merrels I hasten to add. Gave the karrimors away.

I will never buy Karrimor footwear again. Ever.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Paramo fuera smock.supposed too be a wind proof/showerproof.got totally ****** through n freezing cold up on the crinkle crags in it totally pointless piece of outdoor clothing_. Actually use it too warm up for football in it now.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Paramo fuera smock.supposed too be a wind proof/showerproof.got totally ****** through n freezing cold up on the crinkle crags in it totally pointless piece of outdoor clothing_. Actually use it too warm up for football in it now.

Have to disagree on that one, I think your perhaps expecting too much of it. I like the Fuera because it's windproof, quick drying and lightweight exactly as it's designed to be. If it's raining & cold wear a fleece and a waterproof not a windshirt.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
The most useless garment I ever bought was a Barbour Northumbria, lined with blanket material and with incredibly thick cotton. Great if you live in, erm, Northumbria, or Scotland, or Iceland, ridiculously hot if you live in Devon.

The reason I bought it was that I had treated myself to an exceptionally good lunch after getting paid (through threats of litigation) for three contracts on the same day, and it was raining when I wobbled out of the restaurant, and there was the shop, and there you go. Still it hangs in the cupboard as a silent reproach to those who lunch not wisely but too well.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Cheap pair if zip off trousers from go outdoor! Lasted about 2 hours of hill walking in Galloway a fortnight ago before the crotch ripped at the seams! With my spares in my pack, not near the top I carried on! Needless to say they are rags now! 1st time out with them as well! If I still had the recipe (and they were still recognisable as trousers) I'd take them back, but for £14 in the sale it's probably not worth it!

My good old trusty 95 wombats stood up to the rest of the weekend no bother, and they've Ben through hell and back! Lol

Never again!

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Ah but that's just it pal.the weather in the hills is very unpredictable.so when its raining wear a waterproof n when its cold use a fleece rendering this product pointless n not worth being in mi bag.i actually do use it it but for warming up before football which its excellent for.sorry cocked this up was a reply for lamead

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Have to disagree on that one, I think your perhaps expecting too much of it. I like the Fuera because it's windproof, quick drying and lightweight exactly as it's designed to be. If it's raining & cold wear a fleece and a waterproof not a windshirt.

Ah but that's just it pal.the weather in the hills is very unpredictable.so when its raining wear a waterproof n when its cold use a fleece rendering this product pointless n not worth being in mi bag.i actually do use it it but for warming up before football which its excellent

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Ah but that's just it pal.the weather in the hills is very unpredictable.so when its raining wear a waterproof n when its cold use a fleece rendering this product pointless n not worth being in mi bag.i actually do use it it but for warming up before football which its excellent

I still don't see why it's a pointless bit of kit. When walking and climbing you produce lots of heat but often need a bit of protection from the wind. In this situation a fleece or waterproof are overkill and leave you drenched in sweat. The Paramo doesn't weight much and breathes pretty well so is comfortable to wear in cool windy conditions. I probably spend close to 100 days a year in the mountains and my windshirts get far more use than my other outer jackets even in winter. Obviously we're all different and if you don't get on with it that's fine but IMO the Fuera is a good quality bit of kit that has earned it's place in my pack.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I still don't see why it's a pointless bit of kit. When walking and climbing you produce lots of heat but often need a bit of protection from the wind. In this situation a fleece or waterproof are overkill and leave you drenched in sweat. The Paramo doesn't weight much and breathes pretty well so is comfortable to wear in cool windy conditions. I probably spend close to 100 days a year in the mountains and my windshirts get far more use than my other outer jackets even in winter. Obviously we're all different and if you don't get on with it that's fine but IMO the Fuera is a good quality bit of kit that has earned it's place in my pack.
You are right every one is different n I don't mean too get your back up mate.i don't spend anywhere near as much time as that in the hills.but if I could just add that my base layer does me fine when it gets too hot n my vapourise when the sweat starts too freeze if it rains i put on my paclite.i just can't justify a wind shirt.!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Ach your not getting my back up I'm just interested in different people's thinking as I said we're all different.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I'm a big fan of the paramo smock. I run hot (aka sweaty basket) so tend to go quite light on the hills, and the lightweight windproof with a thin wool top is often enough for me, even in winter (with a fleece for sitting etc). Obviously, this is in the SW, where we get wind but it's not bone searingly cold like it'll be in the more northern parts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE