What types of wildlife do you have in your area?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
What types of wildlife do you have in your area? Consider a 100 mile circle around your home.

Me:
Bear
Moose
Deer
Bobcat
turkey
coyote
woodcock
partridge
pheasant
lots of sea birds
fisher
o'possum
porcupine

I have seen all of these in the last two months except the bear and bobcat. What is in your area? What have you seen? Where are you located?

:pack:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I'm afraid to say that there is not as much as there once was. All of the main predators have either been shot, hunted or poisoned out of existence.

That's not to say that there aren't any interesting animals around, they're just a lot quicker to get out of our way and hide !!!

Martin

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
well the ones i have seen in my my immediate area (east cornwall) are:

rabbit
hare
grey squirell
weasel
fox
badger
pheasant
partridge
deer - roe and red
hedgehog
wood mouse
voles and shrews
barn and tawny owls
various raptors - buzzard, kestrel, sparrowhawk and peregrine
common birds - sparrow, robin, chaffinch, bluetit, blackbird, rook, wood pigeon
seals

there are many more animals around but these are the ones i have observed myself.
this list would be probably be similar wherever you are in England, but with some local differences, such as just up the road we have a bird called the dartford warbler, which is quite rare and only found on heath in certains areas.
We dont have any large predators but there is evidence that big cats are wild in the countryside.

cheers gb

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Rabbits

Grey squirrels-not many but some,blummin pests,make good eating mind.

Various birds of prey

Grass snakes

Adders

Foxes

Crows

Green Woodpeckers

Mallards,geese,moorehens,coots,well quite a few types of birds except song birds(blackbirds,song thrushes),their numbers have dropped alarmingly since i was running about the local fields woods and coppices as a small boy.Sparrow numbers have allso fallen along with starlings,wagtails and lots of others too.

There were great crested newts behind my house as i boy,along with seemingly endless amounts of frogs and toads,their numbers have fell too.

Come to think of it,there aint been many bees about these days either.

Sorry to sound so depressing folks.Its just that i was obsessed with animals as a boy and i find this all more than a little sad.

One species of bird whoose numbers seem to have exploaded are magpies,their numbers have gone threw the roof round here,so ive read its due to mild winters and the upsurge in fast food joints and thats subsequent rubbish/leftovers being thrown all over the place.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
kestrel, red kite osprey barn owl

reports of 1 wild boar but i didnt see him :(

badger otter roe deer red deer

ducks n geese

curlew peewit oystercatcher snipe

pheasant and a covey of wild partridge i was particularly pleased to see

there were back game at one point years ago though nobody has seen them for ages, maybe the partridge are a sign that we may see them soon

oh and salmon at the moment, i love watching them jump in the pools

Tant

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Wow

We have all the little critters like moles, shrews, rats, mice of a couple varieties, cottontails, jacks, possum, squirrels of a few varieties, prarie dogs, skunks, armadillo (rare), martins, weasels, several varieties of snake, lizzard, salamander, etc.

Birds? OMG! Maybe a thousand different species.

Coyote, bear, kit fox, red fox, gray fox, puma, bobcat, hogs, badger, elk, columbia blacktail deer and others I've not seen or forgotten about.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
During the summer every weekend loud music, drinking, parties etc.. oh you mean't animals, very little... they don't like the loud music, drinking, parties :rolmao: :eek:): :p
couldn't help myself :shock:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Being blessed with living in the country I have
Red, roe and muntjac deer
foxes
badgers (one killed on the road this summer :cry: )
weasels
stoats (seen more of these in the last couple of years :) )
hares
rabbits
shrews
voles
mice
rats
grey squirrels
Loads of sea birds
lots of migratory waterfowl
barn owls
tawny owls
little owls
kestrels
sparrowhawks
marsh harriers
hen harriers
lots of partridge and pheasant
the usual british songbirds
kingfishers
and I saw a black redstart once which I believe is quite rare.
These are just the ones I have seen, there are chinese water deer in the area and red squirrels but I haven't been lucky enough to spot them. I also got talking to an old boy who said he had seen otters in the river Ant.

hootchi

Settler
I think 100miles radius is a large area in britain so the immediate area around my home, say 10miles, the fields and paths that I walk. These are the rarer and more interesting animals that I have seen, not including songbirds even though they should be respected as much as any other animal.
fox
red deer
badger
hedgehog
stoat
rabbit
grey squirrel
adder
buzzard
sparrowhawk
peregrin falcon
barn owl
kestrel
raven
wheatear
great spotted woodpecker
green wookpecker
grey and red-legged partridge
wood pidgeon
canada goose
pheasant
kingfisher
little egret
ducks(mallard and shelduck and others?)
oyster catcher
curlew
fulmar
grey heron
and many other different birds that i could not identify as I have not been doing this for long!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Aside from the common stuff, I regularly see goshawks when fishing, there are boar tracks in the woods but I've only seen one once. There are a couple of badgers sets nearby. I've seen one Wryneck and there are water rail around ( but I told the warden I wouldn't say where ), some kind of harrier is occaisonaly seen flying low across the lake to one of the islands in the middle of the lake where there's also a nesting heron pair. Cornsnakes seem to be breeding around the area along side the grass snakes. All three of our native woodpeckers breed in the woods. Once in a while when fishing I'll turn round to see a vixen sitting behind me, not sure if she's hoping for food or just waiting for me to clear off. She'll sit within touching distance but I've never dared hold out a hand yet, I must take a tin of dogfod with me next time.
Oneforthepot

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ridge Runner said:
What is a stoat?
I think you call them weasels over there, they are about 10 inches long, red with a black tipped tail, and yellowish white under body. Ohh and up north they turn white in winter (apart from the black tipped tail).
What we call weasels are much smaller, about a half the size of a stoat and lack the black tip on the tail.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
isnt a stoat different to a weasel.. thats what i have always though!
though very closely related.. small size difference i believe

(Snufkin.. jus read you sig.. Swandri do make trouers, check out their site.!)

hootchi

Settler
Ridge Runner said:
What is a stoat?
Here is a stoat and here is a weasel. I have seen a stoat and it was readily identifiable due to the black tip on its tail, as snufkin has quite rightly said. I think that there is not much size difference so I would not rely on that when I see a stoat or a weasel and I think that they are more of a brown than a red.

Realgar, you are so lucky, I wanna see a goshawk!! :roll:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
tomtom said:
my list is very much similar to the previous two..

i would add
weasles/stoats
rats
Same here with some frogs and toads, lots of creepie crawlies and tings with lots more legs than me thrown in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE