Wanted Dive computer - what do you have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Afternoon all,

I'm starting out on my SCUBA journey and am looking for a dive computer. It will be used both in warmer climes and the UK, possibly year round if I can stomach it!

At this stage the contenders are:

Garmin Descent Mk2s (for its usability outside of the water, which let's face it, is where I am most of the time)
Shearwater Peregrine (due to the reputation of Shearwater and its display)

Very much open to other options though, so let me know what you have languishing in your gear cupboards?

Hugh

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have no experience with shearwater.

All I know about the Garmin dive capabale model is second hand. That said if I wanted a sports watch that was also a decent dive instrument this is what I’d go for. My impression it’s a better product than Suunto’s equivilant.

One or the other would be a sound investment.

If you then want a back up a cheap(ish) entry level computer is the way to go. If you start doing technical things you can use it in gauge mode. One you can change the battery yourself ideally.

I have decade plus old Uwatec (Scubapro) dive timer that’s my favorite. You cannot change the battery but I have a few knocking about that are older than my children & they still run.

I do use a Suunto Eon Steel as it has a big bright screen which is handy with my eyesight and UK waters. But essentially I have this to log the dive profile most of the time.

I still dive watch and tables a lot of the time .

Reactions: hughtrimble

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have no experience with shearwater.

All I know about the Garmin dive capabale model is second hand. That said if I wanted a sports watch that was also a decent dive instrument this is what I’d go for. My impression it’s a better product than Suunto’s equivilant.

One or the other would be a sound investment.

If you then want a back up a cheap(ish) entry level computer is the way to go. If you start doing technical things you can use it in gauge mode. One you can change the battery yourself ideally.

I have decade plus old Uwatec (Scubapro) dive timer that’s my favorite. You cannot change the battery but I have a few knocking about that are older than my children & they still run.

I do use a Suunto Eon Steel as it has a big bright screen which is handy with my eyesight and UK waters. But essentially I have this to log the dive profile most of the time.

I still dive watch and tables a lot of the time .

Thank you as always for your input on these diving queries Ozmundo.

Great point about not going all in at this stage - the ability to use a simpler one as a backup if I do progress on to fancier products is a very useful consideration.

I'm definitely going to take tables down too, as that is what we've trained on. Definitely a good backup regardless of any other devices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE