What does it have in its Walletsies ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Which reminds me to find my swisscard. Haven't seen it for a while, removed it when airlines went paranoid.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Why so much cash?? Which I appreciate is a subjective matter. If you lived in LunDonnn I could understand it - but thats a still a princely sum to us shire folk.
Friends had settled up for some tickets I'd bought, but that's what was "currently" in it, it does fluctuate, rarely less than £40, sometimes a couple of hundred.
I'm still a firm believer in cash is king though and it is a very rare occasion I leave the house without any.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think you’ll find that’s legal tender.
I believe Scottish money, issued by 3 banks, is technically able to be refused by shops in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. First it's not technically legal tender outside of Scotland.

Second all businesses can refuse to accept payment by cash except for payment of debt. I once got told if you get a builder to do work. Once done you have a debt to pay. If you offer to pay in legal tender they can't sue you. Buying Something in a shop I got told is not a debt as it's not goods or services given before payment. It's pay first to own it

Sorry to be technical about this but legal tender is royal mint coins and bank of England notes in England and Wales or Royal mint coins in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Additional points are that 1p and 2p can be refused as legal tender unless paying for more than 20p.

In the real world any shop can accept payment in anything they want. But they can also refuse.

I used to live in a small town just off the m6 in North Lancashire. For some reason a lot of people seemed to stop off at the supermarkets there on the way back from Scotland. As such Scottish currency was commonly accepted there. Never had any issues getting rid of it. With the ferries into nearby Heysham they also took Manx currency. Indeed that area often had Manx numberplate on cars. Very common.

It's interesting how currency gets ppl bothered. Refusal of Scottish notes in England seems to be an affront to Scots. Understandable I suppose.

Sorry for the long winded lecture/pedantic commentary.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Some nations are going heavily cardless. I think Norway is one. Even taking out a proportion of their currency in circulation i think in some countries. Other national or multinational central banks are looking at setting up their own electronic/cyber currency too. AIUI ECB is a lot further down that route than our central bank.

Will we all end up having to go that way one day?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I believe Scottish money, issued by 3 banks, is technically able to be refused by shops in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. First it's not technically legal tender outside of Scotland.

Second all businesses can refuse to accept payment by cash except for payment of debt. I once got told if you get a builder to do work. Once done you have a debt to pay. If you offer to pay in legal tender they can't sue you. Buying Something in a shop I got told is not a debt as it's not goods or services given before payment. It's pay first to own it

Sorry to be technical about this but legal tender is royal mint coins and bank of England notes in England and Wales or Royal mint coins in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Additional points are that 1p and 2p can be refused as legal tender unless paying for more than 20p.

In the real world any shop can accept payment in anything they want. But they can also refuse.

I used to live in a small town just off the m6 in North Lancashire. For some reason a lot of people seemed to stop off at the supermarkets there on the way back from Scotland. As such Scottish currency was commonly accepted there. Never had any issues getting rid of it. With the ferries into nearby Heysham they also took Manx currency. Indeed that area often had Manx numberplate on cars. Very common.

It's interesting how currency gets ppl bothered. Refusal of Scottish notes in England seems to be an affront to Scots. Understandable I suppose.

Sorry for the long winded lecture/pedantic commentary.
Sorry, I didn’t read any of this.

I was just quoting Michael McIntyre. I should have said.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't blame you for not reading it. Even though I typed it in not sure I read it! Lol!:oops:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Very little out of the ordinary other than a 600 grit diamond card that came with a much larger diamond hone I bought.
Mostly vets used for router bits but seems to double up as an RF shield for my bank cards.
Also a Salto lock keycard which gives me management privileges on unprogrammed Salto cardlocks. As I'm currently fitting a few of them on a site its handy so I don't have to keep going into the gaffas office everytime I need in an area.
As soon as the site is signed off and the locks programmed they wont work, I'm fine with that. Just need it to do my job.

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
Which three banks? I have only seen two so far.

Still baffled in Scotland.

Royal Bank of Scotland
Bank of Scotland
Clydesdale (I don’t think Clydesdale Bank branches exist anymore now they are Virgin Money, but the notes still say Clydesdale)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh please say you're seeing Virgin bank issued Scottish notes. That would be amazing to see!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE