What to wear in an open canoe in Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I've been looking at neoprene socks. Prices sesm to vary wildly. Any recommended brands or online retailers?

Hey guys

You are canoeing in Canada in summer. Not in England. I've never seen even an anglo up here use neoprene socks. And we certainly don't.

I don't know how cold the water is on the river you paddle on but the choice most visitors do here is wear something on their feet like runners or sandals for wading or getting in and out of the canoe. Their feet get wet but no need to worry if water too high for boots!! Others use high boots or similar. we often times use rubber boots, then no need to change footwear to walk. (wellies??)

No need for fancy canoeing kit anywhere in Canada unless you go in dangerous rapids where you fall out.

ne quiteen missinwashampun !!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Get some of that Stupidly Simple Midge Repel from Quixoticgeek, it really works well to keep blood lusters away. Eucalyptus Citronella is good also, but not direct to skin in oil form because it stings. It's good wiped around tent entrances or on a cloth next to you.

Then just do the trip in a bikini and a pair of Muck boots. Take pics :lmao:

Have fun, I'm a bit envious :mosquitos: :canoe: :fishing:

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Long time ago. Over 3 summers, I worked out of a 21' Chestnut freighter canoe on the Churchill River, doing fisheries research. 60" wide, V-stern & a long-shaft 18Hp motor. Probably 10 months, adding up the days. We wore whatever the weather delivered. Usually rolled up our rain gear and stuffed that into rubber boots. Black flies (Simulidae), No-see-ums and mosquitoes were a nuisance but the horse flies even chased the bears and moose out of the forest and into the river.

I suggest that you pick out the worst & worn clothing that you have with every intention of leaving it behind.
When you get to civilization, find the local native fine art sales outlet for shopping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE