Woolley Jumper - recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm thinking I'm sick of hanging around wearing various weights of synthetic fleeces at home, doing jobs / errands or just relaxing. I'm possibly going to have a bit of spare cash for little luxury purchase. A don't need but want kind of buy. So I thought a decent wool jumper. Something not for high activity but warm for winter or wearing while you turn down heating at night, etc. Of course if like it to look good and not old person (no offence but I'm not fashionable but I don't wanta to be wearing something my parents or late grandparents would wear vain I know).

I got a Hardwick jumper knitted by my mum as a kid at 9yo. It had all the natural oils so kind of coped with winter snow without a coat. It stretched and became thinner until I retired it still just fitting at 21yo!

I also had a thick, densely knitted jumper like the Iceland or Faroe or Scandinavian styles but bought on a Greek island believe it or not. So dense it was windproof in all but very strong winds, natural oils such that it shed snow and sleet better than most synthetic softshells and warm. I used it when at uni when in the winter hills with the hiking society as a softshell jumper over a thin pp helly Hanson base layer.

So I know how well a good but simple, casual, wool jumper can cope with life of all kinds and habits. I just don't know where to find one, a good one but hopefully not too extortionate in price. If we're talking £300 or so I might draw a deep breath of cold air through clenched teeth and get it but not extortionate grand prices. I think you can spend a lot indeed but you must be able to get a lot cheaper.

Any recommendations or suggestions where to look. I know there's a personal taste issue but any suggestion I'd appreciate.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Have a look on the Vinted selling app. I got a nice Barbour Tyne Crew Neck sweater for £20. Nice and thick. There's some proper Dvald Norwegian ones on there as well that you can scroll through, all in the region of £80 upwards (they're vintage don't you know! ).

I got one because I wanted a thicker woolen sweater for round the fire. I chose the Barbour Tyne because I got one from a charity shop years ago for a fiver and it was perfect, until my wife shrunk it which to this day I swear was a deliberate act......

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm lucky, the missus is a very good knitter and I have a very nice Shetland Wool thick jumper. Despite having been washed many times, it still smells of sheep :)

Not cheap really, I think the wool cost in the order of £80 and that's before all the time she spent knitting it. But, you can't buy a pure wool sweater of this quality for less than that; anything cheaper is almost certainly an acrylic mix and made overseas.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My parents came back from iirc santorini or other nearby Greek Island with a fair Isle style wool jumper with a flat hole style neck opening and seriously thick, dense knit. It was so heavy it must have been a kilo in weight or more.

I could only wear it outdoors over a t-shirt in depths of winter or I'd get too hot. In fact I've walked through blizzards in North York moors, lakes and Scottish Highlands in just a smelly helly and that sweater. I don't know what happened to it. It was never in style and I stopped wearing it when my parents bought me top to toe paramo back in the early 90s for a birthday 20th or possibly 21st. Suspect the latter as it was still a big birthday spend back then. I later lost it and suspect moths at my parents then bin.

It was only years later when I was upgrading my modem outdoor clothing I realised that sweater was also a softshell, also a technical top. Indeed I first read over 15 years ago about an wool based, knitted, technical softshell based around an Italian fabric.

Reactions: Toddy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I got a traditional "wooly pully" style jumper with a turtle neck from Trefriw Woolen Mill a couple of years back, 100% wool and british made and I did not have to pay silly money for it.

Reactions: Toddy

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I’m off to Austria in a few weeks with a surplus shop round the corner from the hotel. I’m on the hunt for one of their wooly pull. The quality of the Brit one went down in my time in the mob, the first thing you had to do with a new one was pick chunks of plastic out of the Knit.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Submariner jumpers

These are nice - got mine form a charity shop

Also available via suurplus stores (google-army surplus submariners jumper)

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It wasn't kemp fibres? They're hard, brittle, almost plastic like fibres that you get in wool fleeces.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
This site has some decent stuff:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Submariner jumpers

These are nice - got mine form a charity shop

Also available via suurplus stores (google-army surplus submariners jumper)
Totally agree on Submariners jumper. I like the Silverman's version

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aero clothing trawlerman in Herdwick. Not too bothered by the colour but I grew up with a home knitted Herdwick wool jumper in untreated wool. My mum knitted one for my dad then one for me. It had really rough wool to knit and the experience was enough for my mum to refuse to ever knit in Herdwick wool again!

I grew out of my jumper but my mum only threw out my dad's jumper after it eventually holed out all over. Still, I was under 9 when his was finished and about 30 or 40 when his got thrown out! It's a tough wool and the trawlerman style is a good, durable style too. I just prefer it to be the same, very subdued green of my old jumper.

Living in Cumbria I feel like I should support the breed as sheep farming isn't as profitable as it once was and the truly hardy fell breeds wool is usually rough and of lower commercial value I believe. They're the breed that made Cumbria fells I reckon.

It does seem a shame to have to buy such a Herdwick jumper from a Scottish company and not a Cumbrian one though. Anyone know Cumbria based knitted that uses Herdwick wool? I went on the Herdwick breed site but their list of local companies didn't seem to make jumpers.

Reactions: grip and Herman30

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What aboiut a gansey, traditionally worn by fishermen? Heavy wool, tightly woven and I think you can get some with the lanolin left in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE