What to wear in an open canoe in Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Ok - I've never worn a drysuit and it didn't occur to me that you'd wear them over clothing!

What if you are camping every night? I guess you'd want something to put over your damp clothes when you took off the drysuit - we are back to Buffalo again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Drysuits you wear over clothing - Buffalo you wear next to the skin...
I always found that the dampness in my clothing dried off with the exercise as I pitched camp/sorted the boats out and generally finished the day. If needed dry clothing was warn to bed:)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I will certainly do a full write up on this, oldtimer. I've even asked my brother in law for a lend of his go pro camera to take some video. I'm not the most technologically savvy guy, but if it works out there should be some nice footage to share.

A mosquito head net is also on our kit list and is a must. Might bring two just in case!

With regards to the buffalo pertex gear, I would not have guessed this stuff was to be worn directly against the skin. So one cannot layer underneath with them, wouldn't that limit there usefulness as you couldn't wear merino baselayers?

bearbait

With regards to the buffalo pertex gear, I would not have guessed this stuff was to be worn directly against the skin. So one cannot layer underneath with them, wouldn't that limit there usefulness as you couldn't wear merino baselayers?

I like to run cool when hiking. I always wear a merino T base layer or long-sleeved merino base layer under my Buffalo gear so if I'm warm I can just put the Special 6 in my pack and keep going in the merino layer. Or pop the Windshirt or Gilet, or both, on top instead according to need.

Have used Buffalo gear for hiking for many years and rate it highly. Was in the Brecon Beacons today on Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan in the snow. Measured wind chill at -16C on the col below Corn Du and only zipped up the sides of my S6 for the last bit of ascent. Just a long-sleeved merino T base layer under that. And Mammut tights on my butt. And Buffalo mitts on my puddies.

Have a great trip.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
For trousers id recommend something by 5.11 brand.
5.11 taclite pros are what i wear for everyday use/working/hiking/packrafting. Fairly quick drying, tougher material than craghoppers and they have a kneepad pocket for a thin rubber pad. Handy perhaps if kneeling. Seen lots of people rate craghoppers, but i went through several pairs of Kiwi's before giving up. The crotch always burst and they were too thin for my liking.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'd avoid Craghoppers (and other similar polycotton / brushed cotton) trousers. I always found that in a canoe, once they got damp - either from splashing, or sweating in the glorious Canadian sunshine (optimism eh? ;)) - the material tended to drag against my skin as I moved about and pulled and twisted the trousers making them very uncomfortable.

The best trousers I've used so far are a pair of Fjallravens (can't remember what model). The shiny waxed material just slides across the skin better and doesn't get twisted about your legs.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks guys. Seems the craghoppers are a tad fragile then. They seem to make trousers in several fabrics beyond the poly cotton. Aren't 511s and Fjallravens poly cotton? I have poly cotton realtree camo trousers and shirt i use for pigeon shooting, but I hadn't thought they'd be suitable for this. I think they are by Shimano.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Totally agree with neoprene wetsocks, they are a few pounds a pair, I use them caving and have never had any problems, they last well and with these inside a pair of fast drain shoes you are well set.
Also love pile/pertex kit.

Northern rivers are normally cold all year. But most of Yukon / Teslin river is flat I think so no chance of falling in maybe unless you don't canoe much at home. Ordinary clothes are fine. Same type you wear for walking in British summer.

Most europeans we get up here find mosquitos and blackfly bigger trouble. When we guided most anglos find bug suits better protection. Hat only not much good for when its warm and still and you are canoeing or camping in short sleeves.!!! No-see-ums and Mozzies will get at your neck and wrists and hands Bug suit covers all your upper half of body and arms.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I didn't have the nerve to mention the blood-sucking and meat-eating insects. They are the supreme nuisance. My bug suit is very thin, long-sleeved shirt and matching baggy pants from Columbia Sportswear. The only way I can get into the garden to pull weeds, etc in June and July without being carried away.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'll be wearing long sleeves, bringing a mosquito head net and lots of deet based bug spray. I was hoping that would be enough!
I tend to wear heavy cotton trousers when camping and hiking in Ireland, probably the worst thing for being in a canoe. Haha

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hibrion: you will be just fine, dressed like that. Black flies (Simulidae) buzzing around on my glasses , like flies on a window, really spoils my day.

But if you have very thin shirt mozzies will bite through it no problem. Same if you wear sandals on feet. Socks no problem either if thin. They can get through any gap in your clothing. And if you sweat your shirt will stick to skin and mozzies will love that. If you sweat deet may not last last long. Mozzies last all the while and have patience to wait.

Oh, and when you go to the toilet you'll have more problems................

Mozzies and bugs spoil more vacations up here than any wild animals! Take something for after they bite you otherwise you guys will itch for days.

But you will learn quick and enjoy yourself.

Bushcraft Yukon

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Canada
...and while the pepper spray is for the bears, we need to carry and fire off shotguns to clear a path through the thick, thick clouds of mosquitoes and black flies to even be able to paddle down the river!
:AR15firin:mosquitos:

I find it to be not so bad. Mozzies may be a little thicker in June as compared to July/August (or winter, of course), but I hardly put any Deet on, unless it is really bad. Long clothing and a hat help to keep sensitive parts (such as my bald head...) covered. I always carry the head net, just in case, but I have rarely used it.

The worst time for black flies and mosquitoes was last year in May, when we went morel picking in an old burn with some water bodies(=perfect breeding ground). This was the only time in my life that I wore a bug shirt.

I think the mosquito issue in the Yukon is very overrated and I believe it is more of an attitude issue for a lot of folks. I think many guests totally focus on the bugs around them and so it becomes a huge problem. You can wear long clothes and put repellent on, but you can't really change it. The bugs are part of it. So don't sweat it! When I get stung, I found it stops itching after about 15-20 min (if I do my part = not scratching!). The bugs are a lot less itchy than their counterparts I experienced in Europe (at least for me).

While canoeing there is usually enough breeze to keep them away. Bugs would only be an issue (...if you choose to make it one...) while camping in the woods.

@Joe tahkahikew: I have never been to NWT, so can't judge it, but I heard wild mozzy and black fly stories from over there. If folks in the Yukon want to make sure everybody understands how bad the bugs were on a particular day or spot, they refer to it as "NWT-bad"...:)

All the best from a snowy (and currently bug free) Yukon!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, it's all good. I like my really baggy summer yard clothes. Some summers here in the mountains, I need bricks in my pockets.
Last summer was just a few mosquitoes, the little fellas that land beak first.

5 months one summer, working daily out of a 21' Chestnut freighter, V stern and long shaft 18Hp, I made friends with a lot of bugs.
No bugs and no mud here in McBride, either. Really bad weak layer up top for slab avalanche right now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE